Rod for indicator fishing?

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Now that I've solved my steelhead issue, I have a new question.

What's the action in your favorite non-Euro rod for fishing nymphs with dry-droppers, hopper-droppers, yarn indicators, or a bobber-like things?

This would be a new technique for me and all I've been able to find is information about rigging indicators of all sorts, but nothing about what kind of rod works best in say, 3-5 MPH current. That would seem to be important information for idiot beginners like me...

Last edited:

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I had a chance to handle a couple of Sage rods over the weekend. One was a used Sage X 590-4, one was a Sage Trout LL 590-4, and the third was a Sage Trout LL 586-4. Got to cast the X and the Trout 590 before the storm hit down here. I liked them both, but thought the 590 X was better matched to me and how I hope to use it.

Does anyone have any experience with these rods?

I'm suddenly into Sage rods? Saints preserve us!

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
I had a chance to handle a couple of Sage rods over the weekend. One was a used Sage X 590-4, one was a Sage Trout LL 590-4, and the third was a Sage Trout LL 586-4. Got to cast the X and the Trout 590 before the storm hit down here. I liked them both, but thought the 590 X was better matched to me and how I hope to use it.

Does anyone have any experience with these rods?

I'm suddenly into Sage rods? Saints preserve us!
Were these the new, reissued LL's, or used older ones?

castsN2trees

The fish are calling...
Forum Supporter
I know you said non-
Now that I've solved my steelhead issue, I have a new question.

What's the action in your favorite non-Euro rod for fishing nymphs with dry-droppers, hopper-droppers, yarn indicators, or a bobber-like things?

This would be a new technique for me and all I've been able to find is information about rigging indicators of all sorts, but nothing about what kind of rod works best in say, 3-5 MPH current. That would seem to be important information for idiot beginners like me...
I know you said non-euro rod, but my favorite rod for indicator fishing is by far the T&T 10’9” 4wt Comtact II

I’ve had 10’ Scott Radians, Loomis NRX+, Winston Pures, Winston Super10’s… all decent rods, but nothing gets close to the T&T…

They have a ton of power in the butt section ( I’ve carp fished with the 2wt version and landed chinook on the 3wt), they cast long leaders (up to 18’), they mend line super effectively, and they cast bulky dries better than a lot of 9’ rods

I use the 6wt as my dedicated carp rod, but the 4wt is the real sweet spot and one of the best rods I’ve ever owned..

Here’s a healthy rainbow and colored up cutty, both caught on a chubby…on a euro rod… by the way, about the only thing I don’t do with this rod is euro nymph 😂😂😂DEEEDE81-3C46-4BCF-ACF4-D44920787884.jpeg04286D2A-E8A7-43A2-B83E-AF3292760727.jpeg08B6E49C-8721-4938-A258-882BBEDAEB1C.jpeg42F21F39-CFC7-4BA1-B389-188E2B856166.jpegD8786A6C-EBAB-4ECB-94AC-167AA0BFAB51.jpeg9A28EB1B-A959-4234-83DF-39047E73D884.jpegE8EE7B6F-028C-4D09-8A82-1DAF5F041B8C.jpeg06A0C11A-7B9D-4CF5-A0B7-AF24DA3C9EFA.jpeg

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I know you said non-euro rod, but my favorite rod for indicator fishing is by far the T&T 10’9” 4wt Comtact II

I’ve had 10’ Scott Radians, Loomis NRX+, Winston Pures, Winston Super10’s… all decent rods, but nothing gets close to the T&T…

They have a ton of power in the butt section ( I’ve carp fished with the 2wt version and landed chinook on the 3wt), they cast long leaders (up to 18’), they mend line super effectively, and they cast bulky dries better than a lot of 9’ rods

I use the 6wt as my dedicated carp rod, but the 4wt is the real sweet spot and one of the best rods I’ve ever owned..

Here’s a healthy rainbow and colored up cutty, both caught on a chubby…on a euro rod… by the way, about the only thing I don’t do with this rod is euro nymph 😂😂😂

And I backed-down on that non-Euro nymphing thing, but on reconsideration, and factoring-in how small the rivers are that I intend to fish, I decided Euro-rods are too long for where and how I'll use a rod. The 10-footers are 1/3 as long as the rivers are wide. Maybe later, when I have the hang of indicator fishing and meander off to other waters...

Unless I'm completely misunderstand Euro rods, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

Were these the new, reissued LL's, or used older ones?

The new "Trout LL's" with the KonnetecHd whatever-that-stuff-is. Faster than the older LL's, but a long way from being "fast".

Reactions: Zak

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I like slower action rods for indicators in lakes, and I use an 8 foot fiberglass rod in my float tube. (I know that’s heresy on this site but it works for me.) I like using more open loops to lob multiple fly setups to prevent tangles. I don’t fish a ton of moving water, but the 10 foot rod would make it easier to make multiple mends during a drift.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I decided Euro-rods are too long for where and how I'll use a rod. The 10-footers are 1/3 as long as the rivers are wide. Maybe later, when I have the hang of indicator fishing and meander off to other waters...
How are they contradictory? I'm naive (i.e. ignorant) about Euro rods because Euro nymphing never caught my fancy.
As long as the creek is not too overgrown, euro nymphing can be deadly effective on small water. Even on big water, you are generally limited to fishing within 1.5x the length of the rod away from you, so the rod being 1/3 the width of the river is not a problem. It's great for water that is too fast and shallow to be effective with an indicator rig. I usually fish a dry dropper on small water though, just my preferred way to fish.

The reason I say they're contradictory is I want my euro rod to be a noodle for tippet protection and strike detection. The noodlier the better. I also think it helps when casting a mono rig. That isn't ideal for casting an indicator rig overhead or mending. So I wouldn't look for a rod to do both.

That being said, you can "euro" nymph with any rod. The competition style of nymphing poplurized by Lance Egan and co is what I am referring to when I say euro nymphing, but there are a ton of people who have figured out effective ways to fish a nymph without a surface tether, and I am sure there are all sorts of rod preferences among them. So unless you are super interested in competition-style nymping as a technique I would look for a more versatile medium-fast 9'-10' 5wt. But if you are interested, watch Lance Egan's movie.

Last edited:

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
As long as the creek is not too overgrown, euro nymphing can be deadly effective on small water. Even on big water, you are generally limited to fishing within 1.5x the length of the rod away from you, so the rod being 1/3 the width of the river is not a problem. It's great for water that is too fast and shallow to be effective with an indicator rig. I usually fish a dry dropper on small water though, just my preferred way to fish.

The reason I say they're contradictory is I want my euro rod to be a noodle for tippet protection and strike detection. The noodlier the better. I also think it helps when casting a mono rig. That isn't ideal for casting an indicator rig overhead or mending. So I wouldn't look for a rod to do both.

That being said, you can "euro" nymph with any rod. The competition style of nymphing poplurized by Lance Egan and co is what I am referring to when I say euro nymphing, but there are a ton of people who have figured out effective ways to fish a nymph without a surface tether, and I am sure there are all sorts of rod preferences among them. So unless you are super interested in competition-style nymping as a technique I would look for a more versatile medium-fast 9'-10' 5wt. But if you are interested, watch Lance Egan's movie.

I can't say I'll never become interested in competition-style Euro nymphing, but it hasn't caught my fancy from the day it arrived. I've been one of those let's-not-pay-a-lot-of-attention-to-the-fly-because-the-fish-will-annonce-its-arrival-without-me kind of a guy, and a big part of my new interest in indicator fishing is to force myself to watch what's going on instead of watching fluffy clouds drift overhead. No one knows how many fish I haven't caught because I like clouds.

However, the thought of a rod with a more forgiving tip makes sense even with an indicator. Thanks for that.