Rod differences

TJAK

Freshly Spawned
Besides money what benefits are gained when buying a middle of the road rod versus the top of the line rods for someone just starting out but plans to spend lots of time improving?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
My answer is: it depends. I really like my Redington Classic Trout rod at about $150, but I also really like my old Sage LL (way more expensive). Both have similar soft/slow actions that I like.

If I were starting out but knowing what I know now, I'd get a Redington CT and keep my eye on the classifieds (here and elsewhere) for good deals on used higher end rods. I picked up two very nice fiberglass rods from a builder on this site for a very reasonable price.

It also depends on what you'll be fishing for and where. I mostly fish streams with small light flies, so a soft action 4wt or 3wt is good for me. Bombing casts into the Sound or fishing big weighted flies for big fish world change the calculus.

Last edited:

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I think Zak's advice is good. I have several high end rods and have bought all of them used for around a third of the price of new. Most were purchased from ebay.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Besides money what benefits are gained when buying a middle of the road rod versus the top of the line rods for someone just starting out but plans to spend lots of time improving?
Don't buy the top of the line fly rod until you really understand the types of fly fishing you enjoy and who you are as a caster. Try out a few middle of the road rods and fish them in many scenarios. Later, if you are fully committed to fly fishing as a life long hobby master your casting technique and sample top end rods & fly lines that give you more pleasure on the water.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
The benefits gained are highly dependent on the specific rod in question. There are great thousand dollar rods and there are poor thousand dollar rods.

RCF

Life of the Party
Buy a rod that you enjoy casting and playing fish with. Also buy a rod that fits/supports your targeted species.

Each of us have our favorite rod for a targeted species. Rods for our skinny blue lines, windy days on larger rivers, warm water species in lakes, and beach fishing are all different but match the places we are fishing and we enjoy casting.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
None, if you're just starting out. For the beginner and many others I heartily recommend a Redington Classic Trout every day of the week. (Redington should comp me for all the promotion.) Once you're into fly fishing ass over tea kettle, buy the rods that you like. Don't consider the price unless money is an issue. That's how you end up with the best rods for YOU. Buy good fly lines - they are not the cheapest nor the most expensive. Any reel will do for a beginner since you'll just be using it as a line holder. If you graduate to fishing for big and powerful gamefish, then prepare to shell out some serious money. And once you're a fly fishing addict, you'll probably prefer higher quality reels than cheap line holders, but you'll still mainly use them to just hold fly line.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Saving on the rod means money to hire guides and to take casting lessons.

It's truly amazing how much stock many people place in the rod and how little they put in casting skills.

When you’ve outgrown the rod, meaning the rod is holding you back, then it’s time to upgrade—but that doesn’t necessarily mean spend more. I spent most of January fishing a $300 rod that in several ways out performed an $1100 I own.

Edit: If you’re local to Seattle area, Brett Wedeking is great for casting lessons. Instead of taking you to a grassy park, he gets you on the water to practice casting in more “real-world” situations. Does great with kids, too. https://www.tailoutanglers.com/

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Dimebrite nailed it. Until you are an experienced caster, and more importantly until you know what it is you want a fly rod to do, you are not going to benefit from spending a ton of money.

Instead invest that money in casting lessons and gas for fishing trips so you can start to learn what it is you need/want from your gear.

A high end fly rod that doesn't match up with your needs for the fishing you do isn't going to perform very well.

For example, an expensive Winston 4 wt that is designed to make delicate casts when presenting small dry flies and protect light tippet is not going to do me much good in the saltwater. It would be a beautiful, well made rod designed to do none of the things I actually need a rod to do. Conversely, a fairly inexpensive, fast action Echo 6 wt is going to be a much better rod for my needs. Does that mean the Winston with its huge price tag is an inferior rod? Not at all. Just inferior for what I will use it for.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
Saving on the rod means money to hire guides and to take casting lessons.

It's truly amazing how much stock many people place in the rod and how little they put in casting skills.
Great advice. I think many just starting out have great intentions but then just get frustrated and move on to something else. Spending the money on lessons is worth every penny. There are also some great starter outfits. I have been fly fishing almost 40 years now and started with a beginner package from Orvis. I still pull it out every now and then when helping a beginner, and casting it still brings a smile to my face. Just a nice, easy rod to cast.

Start cheap then build as you learn more. I started with an outfit that cost less than 60 bucks, rod reel line and flies, and built up to better equipment. You will probably learn more when you have and idea what lesser equipment will give you then using better stuff after. You don't have to spend a ton of money, just try and use equipment you can use for a little while from a friend or family member. You'll find alot of friends you never knew you had here on this forum.

Reactions: Zak

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'll echo what others have said, you don't need to spend a fortune to get a good fly rod. Modern rods are pretty good at all price points.
I fish about 125 days a year. I'd say 50% are with $200-300 rods like my Classic Trout, Carbon XL, or Shadow. 30% with mid priced rods like the Recon, Stillwater and Steffen, and 20% with high end rods. In my opinion it takes a lot of experience to notice the differences.
My son got a Path and fished it a while, liked it, then broke it. He picked up a Fenwick, which he likes more because it's slower action. What action you will like is a personal preference you can only figure out by getting out.
I'd say to begin with get the one you favor, because you'll fish it confidently. Get some time in, figure out where and what you enjoy fishing for, then think about adding another, we all end up with several it seems. With experience you'll figure out whether you need long or short casts, prefer dry's or streamers, want a long or shorter rod, ect.
Have fun with it and good luck.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Fly rods are getting to be like golf clubs. You may, or not, know the old saying in golf about players and their equipment, "he wants to buy success.". Us fly casters are just like golfers in that, we want to improve. Sometimes we want to improve so much we'll buy anything to get better. I've been there myself. But now I realize something else, that can also be found in an old golf saying. "It ain't the club, it's the clubber."

Fly rods are getting to be like golf clubs. You may, or not, know the old saying in golf about players and their equipment, "he wants to buy success.". Us fly casters are just like golfers in that, we want to improve. Sometimes we want to improve so much we'll buy anything to get better. I've been there myself. But now I realize something else, that can also be found in an old golf saying. "It ain't the club, it's the clubber."
I bought a set of golf clubs that only cost a couple hundred bucks, I don't want to be a great golfer. Or bowler for that fact. Now I am pretty serious about my fly fishing so I do have rods that are thousand dollar rods because I have become very good at casting. I have already conducted several casting clinics and been asked by some well known fly fishermen to participate in their clinics also.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've been fly fishing for 45 years and still hate spending more than $300 on a rod. I've only done it a couple times. I get much better results buying a $150-250 medium/fast rod on sale or used and then buy decent lines. More $$ for things like boats, waders, gas, etc. Or just fun things like nice reels.

If you're handy and like building things, you can build a rod for less than you can buy one. I built a G Loomis IMX 5wt back in the late 80s. It was a brand new blank so it was covered by a warranty. It was half the cost of buying a finished rod. Sure enough, I broke the tip in the first year. They just sent me a whole new blank. I had to re-build the top section, but at least I have a spare butt section if I ever happen to break it. It's still my go-to 5wt!

I would say buy a new rod under $300 that gets good reviews and has a decent warranty. If you plan to fish the sound, make it a 6wt. If rivers and lakes, make it a 5wt. Have fun!