NFR Rivian R1T Driven Yesterday

Non-fishing related
The motor of the trolling motor is not in the water. Drop it overboard and see if it still works. I know my 90 horse gas outboard will not work.
Actually the motor IS underwater, to keep things cool. The head unit is just the control/autopilot compass part, the actual drive is submerged.

(I’m not implying that it’s smart to drive an EV in the water btw)

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The motor of the trolling motor is not in the water. Drop it overboard and see if it still works. I know my 90 horse gas outboard will not work.
That's 100% incorrect. The electric motor used for trolling motors is housed directly in front of the propeller, and it is underwater the entire time the motor is in use.

Tallguy

Steelhead
If the items are a sealed unit. An electric car is sealed?
Mostly, yes. If you need to drive on a wet road, you need to have at least basic protection against water getting where it's not supposed to be. I doubt it would run if you parked it there for an hour, but short immersion wouldn't be all that different from wet road conditions.

Even ICE engines can run underwater for a long time with a snorkel system. Plenty of key mission critical electrical systems in a regular car too.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Speaking of snorkels, how long before we see lifted Teslas in Southern California with BFGoodrich KO2's, a bull bar and a snorkel? It's gotta happen, perhaps even dual snorkels even though they are faux.😀

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Speaking of snorkels, how long before we see lifted Teslas in Southern California with BFGoodrich KO2's, a bull bar and a snorkel? It's gotta happen, perhaps even dual snorkels even though they are faux.😀
I wonder what percentage of trucks that have them ever needed them other than "hold my beer" situations?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I configured my Cybertruck back in December. Just waiting for them to build it. I should have it within a month or so. I'll share pictures and info when I get it.
I hope to see you cruising around in this truck; very cool!

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
not good..
I'm not a fan of the look of the cybertruck, but I think I would definitely want to look into the clear film wrap if I had one. I'm curious how the $5k cost of the Tesla option compares to a local company doing it. There's a place here in Kitsap that does a lot of high end vehicles with full body clear film protection but not sure what the costs are.