NFR Rivian R1T Driven Yesterday

Non-fishing related

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Here's an article from TheVerge:

Intersting that our guard rails nationally won't withstand impacts from EV's.

The video is kind of shocking.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Here's an article from TheVerge:

Intersting that our guard rails nationally won't withstand impacts from EV's.

The video is kind of shocking.
Not shocking at all .Do you actually know what the purpose is with guardrail ? It’s not to stop a head on collision with it , it’s more for contact at an angle , and to keep you from going off the road into oncoming traffic or cliff or steep embankment . A piece of 12 ga guardrail held up by wooden posts is not designed to take thousands of lbs head on . That’s why at the end of a guardrail run , there’s safety end treatments that absorb the energy of thousands of lbs hitting head on , and stopping the vehicle , instead of a piece of guardrail going thru a windshield.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Any Cadillac from the early 70's would do the same thing.

And I know my 1 ton diesel truck would have no
problem, might dent the bumper. :p

Last edited:

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My sister, the Civil Engineer used to point out that they're not Guardrails, they're Guiderails.

Exactly. There was an accident here in the Salt Lake area involving a big dump truck on I15. Although it wasn’t guardrail like the video above , but the cable system, I think three or four strands of heavy steel cable stretched between posts , not much higher than guardrail . The dump truck veered off at a pretty steep angle , and hit those cables , the cables did their job , they got stretched, but redirected the truck keeping it from going into the oncoming traffic on the other side of the freeway . If it hit head on that truck wouldn’t have slowed down much .

JudyM

Steelhead
Exactly. There was an accident here in the Salt Lake area involving a big dump truck on I15. Although it wasn’t guardrail like the video above, but the cable system, I think three or four strands of heavy steel cable stretched between posts, not much higher than guardrail. The dump truck veered off at a pretty steep angle, and hit those cables, the cables did their job, they got stretched, but redirected the truck keeping it from going into the oncoming traffic on the other side of the freeway. If it hit head on that truck wouldn’t have slowed down much.
ODOT has those cable type right in the middle of the medians on I-205. Too many head-on crashes by vehicles going in opposite directions. Yesterday while taking my daughter home to Gresham via I-205, a black newish Mustang GT hammering it speed wise in the far-left lane by 2:30pm.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
ODOT has those cable type right in the middle of the medians on I-205. Too many head-on crashes by vehicles going in opposite directions. Yesterday while taking my daughter home to Gresham via I-205, a black newish Mustang GT hammering it speed wise in the far-left lane by 2:30pm.
Same here as said also in the medians on I-15. I know a bit about this stuff , worked nearly my entire working life in highway safety just over 42 years . We roll formed guardrail , supplied all the components for the cable guardrail , bridge rail , pedestrian rail , safety end treatments etc .

Yes , the cable guardrail is very effective keeping vehicles on their side of the freeway. I can’t count how many crash tests I’ve watched with these products . Pretty impressive how they preform . I got a chuckle out of that video thinking that 12ga Highway Guardail is supposed to be stopping a vehicle head on . The testing is done to see how effective it will redirect a vehicle , that’s about all it will do , as said the cable actually does a much better job. If they want to stop a vehicle like on that video, it’s going to have to much more substantial than a piece of 12ga steel. I’m not sure there is an answer other than a solid reinforced cement wall , which wouldn’t be very cost effective. It sure would stop that electric car

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Any Cadillac from the early 70's would do the same thing.

And I know my 1 ton diesel truck would have no
problem, might dent the bumper. :p

My 76 Bobcat (Mercury's version of the Pinto) would too, just on a lot more fire.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Not shocking at all .Do you actually know what the purpose is with guardrail ? It’s not to stop a head on collision with it , it’s more for contact at an angle , and to keep you from going off the road into oncoming traffic or cliff or steep embankment . A piece of 12 ga guardrail held up by wooden posts is not designed to take thousands of lbs head on . That’s why at the end of a guardrail run , there’s safety end treatments that absorb the energy of thousands of lbs hitting head on , and stopping the vehicle , instead of a piece of guardrail going thru a windshield.
Yep I know most of that
... what caught me was how fast the darn thing went airborne

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Thought this was interesting from the University of Nebraska article relating to this video:

Designed as an inexpensive, high-performing barrier, the tested guardrail system, the Midwest Guardrail System or MGS, was developed at the Midwest Roadside Safety Facility in response to barrier ruptures and rollovers with older systems. The MGS has been tested with small cars that weigh up to 2,400 pounds and pickups that weigh 5,000 pounds.

So that guard rail had only been tested before with basically Mazda Miatas, Nissan Versas, and Chevy Sparks for cars. And lightweight pickups like Tacomas and Frontiers.

Flymph

Steelhead
Just saw a Seattle times blip "What EV incentives are available in WA" but am not a subscriber. Can anyone further enlighten? Just asking for a cheapskate retired teacher friend.

JudyM

Steelhead
Being an electrician's daughter, I know that water and electricity does not mix. i could be wrong....

JudyM

Steelhead
All of us who use electric trolling motors might have something to say about that.
The motor of the trolling motor is not in the water. Drop it overboard and see if it still works. I know my 90 horse gas outboard will not work.

Last edited:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My sump pump works under water.
So do the water pump for my fountains.

Many more items too.

Being an electrician's daughter, I know that water and electricity does not mix. i could be wrong....

Reactions: Zak