NFR Rivian R1T Driven Yesterday

Non-fishing related

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Oil/gas is a finite resource. Electricity has been around since the birth of the solar system but only accessible to us mere humans for about 125 years now.

Place your bets....
I bet on the laziness inherent economy of humans and most other animals. We tend to make big changes when we must/when it becomes valuable enough for us in terms of emotions/personal resources. We will change enmasse from fossil fuels to electricity when it is easy enough and the economics (again, an amalgam of emotions and personal resources) benefit switching more than staying the same. Even then, there will be holdouts. The numbers of folks hunting with black powder or forging swords speak to how entirely we adopt new tech.

The Fish Whisperer

Smolt
Forum Supporter
My son-in-law bought one for a parts and delivery vehicle for his business, brought it home last night and I got to drive it for a quick trip. About 5 miles through residential and business district including a quick hop on and off freeway. I was impressed with the fit and finish inside and out, top quality. Lots of storage: frunk in front, lockable under bed compartment that’s generous and a unique space between rear sears and bed that’s accessible from outside or behind the seats. Very controlled, firm but comfortable ride, noise and vibration absent, felt smaller than it is. Freeway entrance was a decreasing radius and control and ride was impressive, doesn’t feel like a truck; no body roll and steering is quick and positive. Absolutely quiet and the power is unbelievable, instant and impressive. Has the Quad motor option, 800+ hp. Been getting 300+ miles range, mostly highway at 75-80+ and several hundred to 1K+ lbs load. Rated as a 3/4 ton IIRC and to tow 11,000 lbs; your range will be decreased.
I really liked it.
For those interested, here’s a C&D review.
Sounds like a great truck….intere...st definitely get cited for being overweight.

headduck

Steelhead
Indeed, but not necessarily as much as we might think at first glance.

My house uses an average 22kw per day, but aside from the three chest freezers in the garage and shed, I’m all-in on LEDs and every other electrical efficiency I could justify in my desire to be energy independent. My solar panels produce 30kwh a day on average. Assuming my average 30 miles per day (I drive a lot on weekends and in the summer/winter/spring breaks) I’d just about break even with the average solar vehicle’s ~7kwh to do 30 miles—maybe adding 1kw additional need to the grid. My household isn’t normal, though.

California has lots of readily available data, and I’m too lazy to hunt down Washington’s (I fished both sides of the high tide this morning), but the average Californian drives 35 miles per day on average, which for an electric vehicle is about 8kw. Meanwhile, the average house in the US uses about 35kwh. So, adding an electric vehicle in every home in the US would increase residential consumption about 27%. Adding it all at once would be a huge load, but if it happened over, say, the next 10-15 years we’d only need to increase grid capacity by a small amount—call it 2% a year and we can be done with time to spare (those contractors and municipalities often need extra time).

I wrote “residential consumption”, though, which in California is only about 20% of the grid. The math gets messy with people not charging at home, people buying plug-in hybrids, and many not buying electrics overnight, so let’s say it cuts that 2% a year figure in half and not to 1/5th.

1% grid capacity increase per year is not bad at all—and that’s if every Californian household got one by 2038.

I think you may be an exception or exceptional. Most folks efforts are certainly less comprehensive and not nearly as thoughtful.

Applying your bar across the population might not work. ;)

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wife has a plug in hybrid that gets 29 miles/ charge and we have solar. She almost never buys gas.

The lack of fuel costs does not out way the cars cost but she bought the car because she wanted it. It's a fantastic machine.

I chuckle at the fear that the change to electric brings. Any issue is blown out of proportion. Perfection is demanded of electric vehicles while we look past the real costs of fossil fuels that have been hidden for so long.

At one point in this country we believed that we could lead in changing for the better. Somewhere along the line we seem to have lost that. The people who believe that "yesterday is better than tomorrow can ever be" have taken the wind out of our sales in my opinion.

Personally, I'd rather not raise petroleum demand as it benefits Russia and theocratic Middle Eastern countries.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
At one point in this country we believed that we could lead in changing for the better. Somewhere along the line we seem to have lost that. The people who believe that "yesterday is better than tomorrow can ever be" have taken the wind out of our sales in my opinion.
This pun/freudian slip is good on a few levels, whether it was intended to be or not.

JudyM

Steelhead
Wife has a plug in hybrid that gets 29 miles/ charge and we have solar. She almost never buys gas.

The lack of fuel costs does not out way the cars cost but she bought the car because she wanted it. It's a fantastic machine.

I chuckle at the fear that the change to electric brings. Any issue is blown out of proportion. Perfection is demanded of electric vehicles while we look past the real costs of fossil fuels that have been hidden for so long.

Personally, I'd rather not raise petroleum demand as it benefits Russia and theocratic Middle Eastern countries.
Of the 7.86 million barrels per day the U.S. imported in 2020, the majority came from its North American neighbors: Canada, with 4.13 million barrels (52.5%), and Mexico, with 750,000 (9.6%). But imports coming from outside North America are significant. Russia, with 540,000 barrels a day (6.6%), was the top non-continental contributor. Roughly 11% of the imports came collectively from OPEC countries, including 520,000 from Saudi Arabia.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Of the 7.86 million barrels per day the U.S. imported in 2020, the majority came from its North American neighbors: Canada, with 4.13 million barrels (52.5%), and Mexico, with 750,000 (9.6%). But imports coming from outside North America are significant. Russia, with 540,000 barrels a day (6.6%), was the top non-continental contributor. Roughly 11% of the imports came collectively from OPEC countries, including 520,000 from Saudi Arabia.
It is a world market either way. Increased demand increases the value of crude.
Where our oil comes from matters very little as far as what Pootie and the Saudi's get for a barrel.

RCF

Life of the Party
This popped up on one of my news feeds.

EV battery game changer?

The industry will need more innovations to support transition to EV vehicles...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Toyota has a solid state battery in development but not expected to be in vehicles until 2027 or 28. I believe Toyota will bring it to market before the company referenced in RCFs post.

I believe I read somewhere that the solid state battery they are developing discussed it possibly having a 900 mile range or something like that?
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter

1200km is the claim in this article, so around 750 miles I guess...
Certainly another improvement, and as internal combustion is on its way out, expect more improvements down the road.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
One has to think realistically. It took from 1900 give/take to get to the power we have now with ice. A lot of that development happened after 1990.
ev has only been around since? So it is still in the infancy. It is amazing as it is the great strides they have made not just vehicles but batteries in the past 10 years.
we can’t expect instant results.

RCF

Life of the Party
One has to think realistically. It took from 1900 give/take to get to the power we have now with ice. A lot of that development happened after 1990.
ev has only been around since? So it is still in the infancy. It is amazing as it is the great strides they have made not just vehicles but batteries in the past 10 years.
we can’t expect instant results.
Well, EV's do have instant torque. That is a quick start...