RIP Bobby Knight

RCF

Life of the Party
So people crap and shit all over someone who died. Has not even been buried so they can RIP. Get on those keyboards, search the internet from your dank and dark basements and find out everything derogatory and put it out here with some spin on it. Feel real good about it? Make your manhood bigger so you can call it a fat wood?

Is this why people come to PNWFF? Appears so...

Flymph

Steelhead
Sometimes coaches develop a persona through trial and error. Even though they may not like themselves being this type of coach they feel compelled to fit the status quo. I wonder if Knight really liked himself when he threw chairs and berated his players?? At the time he was coaching there were a lot of people who praised his success despite his methods. Some folks even praised his methods and felt they were necessary to win at that level of competition! Knight, in all likelihood, fed off of this praise and success. I believe he locked himself into a mold he could not escape from.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Keep in mind, players chose to go to Indiana. If you could make his teams you could have made a lot of teams(and probably received some under the table stuff too).

Nearly every basketball loving kid in Indiana dreamed of playing for Bobby Knight. My Indiana grandpa sacastically referred to him as “Bobby-god”. It was a shame how he flamed out at towards the end of his career because the majority of his former players revered him. I really enjoyed him for the 4 or 5 years that he was a analyst for ESPN... the dude knew basketball. As a Purdue guy, the rivalry between the two schools and coaches (Purdue's Gene Keady) was epic.

I vividly recall his first time back to Indiana University (after 20 plus years) to attend an Indiana/Purdue game.

Last edited:

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You either hated him or loved him but his achievements were undeniable. My favorite quote of his was his answer to the question of what he hoped to achieve in his lifetime of coaching. He said I want to catch more fish than any other basketball coach. Sometimes great coaches get lost in the game. Woody Hayes, Joe Paterno and even Don James come to mind. So RIP. His contributions to the game are indelible.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Bob was really good and really bad all at once. He is the Godfather of the motion offense and one of the best basketball minds of all time. His terrible behavior was a mystery to me. Like why dude? At the same time, he gave tons of money to people in need and he was a fly fisherman. Guess not all of us are saints.

Anyway, this is one of my favorites from him. And if you listen to the end you'll hear him sticking it to the reporters. He always had to have the last word/laugh.