Recommendations on 2 Weight

RCF

Life of the Party
Call me old school or whatever...

I do not fish for dinkers or very small fish. Small fish are 4-5 inch fish I avoid whenever possible.

5 inches just does not turn me on...

RGK

Freshly Spawned
What length are you looking for...?
Am really open on the length. I was leaning to something in the 7+/- range and trying to gain some knowledge from the experience of you all. Thanks for all of the comments. Now I need to find one of these recommendations in a used rod. The Redington CT or Dart sound like a great direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Am really open on the length. I was leaning to something in the 7+/- range and trying to get some knowledge from the experience of you all. Thanks.
I'm not sure where @Wetswinger was going in asking for rod length but his question hit a key thing for me: rod length. One of my favorite "blue line" creeks is overhung with trees (you know, those things with branches that reach out and grab your fly when casting?). I've fished the creek with a 9 foot 3 weight rod, it was a miserable experience trying to find the angle for the long rod. I now fish it with a 6'6" two weight. Casts are generally no more than 15', it's brushy and the creek is steep with lots of large rocks. My two cents.

Have fun.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

I do not fish for dinkers or very small fish. Small fish are 4-5 inch fish I avoid whenever possible.

It’s not just the size of the fish. Whether they’re brookies, Cutts or rainbows, I often find those dinks more beautiful than big fish. And these small blue lines are often more intimate, secluded and private than the bigger water/bigger fish. I like fishing both, but it’s nice to not have to just catch big fish to have fun ;)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
honestly, I'm not totally sure why you folks fishing tiny little streams where you think you may need a 2wt, aren't looking more at a 7'6" (give or take) 4wt glass rod. What is it about a 2wt that's appealing? the amount of bend on little fish? 4wt glass has got you covered...not to mention how durable they are! You know what else? you can use that little 4wt glass on larger streams and not feel under-gunned [within reason]. Man, if I fished little streams for little trout, the first rod I'd grab is one that I ended up getting rid of (because I rarely fish those types of waters any more), a Lamiglas Honey 7'6" 4wt glass. I actually kinda wish I still had that rod!

🍻
I don’t know man, just because I already had two 4 weights and wanted to try a really light rod. I find my 7’6” 2 wt CT is capable of placing flies in a saucer-sized eddy, and it’s fun. I’m another fan of the Battenkill/CT combo.
1701965117300.jpeg
An eddy like the tiny foam patch to the left of the cascade. It holds a fish!
1701965198078.jpeg

For me, it’s about being where those fish live, not that I need or want to catch 50 small trout. It’s the experience and feeling of being immersed in that environment. It feels...intimate? Peaceful. Relaxing. Fun. The fish are all little gems, and sometimes a bigger fish turns up.
I mean, look at this place! Don’t you want to be there?
1701965435132.jpeg

1701965485319.jpeg

1701965525614.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It’s not just the size of the fish. Whether they’re brookies, Cutts or rainbows, I often find those dinks more beautiful than big fish. And these small blue lines are often more intimate, secluded and private than the bigger water/bigger fish. I like fishing both, but it’s nice to not have to just catch big fish to have fun ;)
We should go fishing some time. 👍👍

RGK

Freshly Spawned
Great pics Matt. Thanks. The areas where my future 2 weight will get fished are pretty tight with lots of overhang so the shorter probably the better for me. Years ago I fished the Orvis rods but its been some time since I tried one of these. Anyone with any experience with Orvis 2 wt?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
We should go fishing some time. 👍👍
Sign me up. Maybe we can meet up this summer. I’ve been wanting to explore Washington for awhile now. Plus never caught a west slope and we don’t really get them down here.

Also, I noticed, a new kid portrait ;)?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Sign me up. Maybe we can meet up this summer.

Meet in the middle? Exploring around Mt. St. Helens has been on my to-do list for FAR too long.

Also, I noticed, a new kid portrait ;)?

I was informed it is a Pineapple Warrior. (Watch for reports of them moving north with climate change and invading Puget Sound, outcompeting the humpkins with their faster metabolism and heightened aggression.)

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Meet in the middle? Exploring around Mt. St. Helens has been on my to-do list for FAR too long.

I was informed it is a Pineapple Warrior. (Watch for reports of them moving north with climate change and invading Puget Sound, outcompeting the humpkins with their faster metabolism and heightened aggression.)
I think we can definitely make that happen.

Oh shit, keep an eye out!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Great pics Matt. Thanks. The areas where my future 2 weight will get fished are pretty tight with lots of overhang so the shorter probably the better for me. Years ago I fished the Orvis rods but its been some time since I tried one of these. Anyone with any experience with Orvis 2 wt?
My friend has a sweet little Orvis Powermatrix 3 wt (8 ft?) that is nice, but good luck finding one. That’s an old model.

flybill

Life of the Party

That's what SHE said..

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter

I have a Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 2wt that's 6' and a Orvis Silver Label 2wt that's 7'9". I really like them both. I find myself fishing the Trout Bum more often. They are both full flex rods but the Trout Bum rod is quite a bit faster probably mostly due to its shorter length being almost 2 feet shorter. The Trout Bum series of Superfine rods are a bit faster anyway though.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don’t know man, just because I already had two 4 weights and wanted to try a really light rod. I find my 7’6” 2 wt CT is capable of placing flies in a saucer-sized eddy, and it’s fun. I’m another fan of the Battenkill/CT combo.
View attachment 93920
An eddy like the tiny foam patch to the left of the cascade. It holds a fish!
View attachment 93921

For me, it’s about being where those fish live, not that I need or want to catch 50 small trout. It’s the experience and feeling of being immersed in that environment. It feels...intimate? Peaceful. Relaxing. Fun. The fish are all little gems, and sometimes a bigger fish turns up.
I mean, look at this place! Don’t you want to be there?
View attachment 93922

View attachment 93923

View attachment 93924
I totally get it…I fished a very small creek in UT with my 10’3wt esn…didn’t even have to cast. Mostly 9”-12” fish…but a surprising 16” brown in a slightly deeper pool hiding in an undercut in a boulder…

I hooked the trees twice setting the hook and missing…

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Whats worse, ^ or setting the hook so hard on a 5" fish that the fish flies into the trees. Sorry little guy.
Hey, @clarkman maybe that’s a good reason for a 2 wt vs a 4 that I hadn’t thought of—Any 2 weight has far, far less dink-launching power in the butt than any 4 weight.
(for those of us with an occasional quick trigger finger)

RCF

Life of the Party
I have a trigger finger and it does not launch fish. It happens even when a fishing rod is no where near my hand.

I knew my post above would be controversial but wanted to express my thoughts. We all catch dinkers. I just do not target them. My choice. I just want them to grow bigger and hopefully spawn. That is my hope... I will continue to fish with that hope and desire.

Last edited: