Recommendations on 2 Weight

RGK

Freshly Spawned
Am looking for a good 2 weight rod to occasionally fish. Would welcome any recommendations or leads on a good purchase. Prefer locking real seat.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I only have one 2wt…an esn rod; not sure that is something you’re into

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The three I own:

Sage Dart 276: Great for creeks
Redington Butter Stick 7'(?): Fun for lazy days
T&T Contact II (10'9"?): Fun for nymphing with the occasional dry.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sage Dart 276: Great for creeks
Redington Butter Stick 7'(?): Fun for lazy days

Tangent/Question.

Why is it that we consider glass for "lazy" or for fishing when we're not "serious"? I've been asking myself this a lot lately especially as I'm now basically 50/50 between (modern) glass and graphite rods. For instance, if I'm fishing a BWO hatch on the Met, I still instinctively always grab my graphite 4wt Winston instead of the glass rod. Whereas if I'm wet wading a freestone/blue line in the summer I will ALWAYS grab my 3wt or 4wt glass. Why do I/we think graphite is always for serious fishing and glass is for fun fishing. Why don't I equate all fishing as fun fishing?

I dunno. Sorry for the thread drift.

I'd get a glass rod. At this point, I think I'd only buy glass rods for 3wt and under. Just too much fun ;)

Tagging Randy @clarkman because otherwise there's no chance in Hell he'd click on a 2wt rod thread.

Last edited:

Mike Ediger

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good call on the locking reel seat.
For 2wt I would consider glass or older Sage TXL.
I had a 2wt but ultimately a 4wt is about as small as I go. A 4wt Kabuto, TMF, Chalkstream Light, all of these are a joy to cast, and catch fish no matter of the size. Plus I am not under-gunned if a small amount of wind comes up or I want to lob a sculpin.

Reactions: Zak

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tangent/Question.

Why is it that we consider glass for "lazy" or for fishing when we're not "serious"? I've been asking myself this a lot lately especially as I'm now basically 50/50 between (modern) glass and graphite rods. For instance, if I'm fishing a BWO hatch on the Met, I still instinctively always grab my graphite 4wt Winston instead of the glass rod. Whereas if I'm wet wading a freestone/blue line in the summer I will ALWAYS grab my 3wt or 4wt glass. Why do I/we think graphite is always for serious fishing and glass is for fun fishing. Why don't I equate all fishing as fun fishing?

I dunno. Sorry for the thread drift.

I'd get a glass rod. At this point, I think I'd only buy glass rods for 3wt and under. Just too much fun ;)

Tagging Randy @clarkman because otherwise there's no chance in Hell he'd click on a 2wt rod thread.
I'd meant more "days when the fishing is easy in terms of weather". I can't get the butter stick to do well in the wind, so on a day when I've got to put effort into getting my flies where and how I want them, this is not the rod for me. The comment was rod-specific, too, not material-specific.

I have glass rods that I've acquired in the last few years (I blame @clarkman ) that I'll happily use in windier conditions or for bigger game (Echo B.A.G. and some NFC rods), but the question was 2wt rod recommendations.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'd meant more "days when the fishing is easy in terms of weather". I can't get the butter stick to do well in the wind, so on a day when I've got to put effort into getting my flies where and how I want them, this is not the rod for me. The comment was rod-specific, too, not material-specific.

I have glass rods that I've acquired in the last few years (I blame @clarkman ) that I'll happily use in windier conditions or for bigger game (Echo B.A.G. and some NFC rods), but the question was 2wt rod recommendations.

Totally understand. I think my tangent ended up being a question for myself. Why and what I consider "fun" and "serious". And I have no answer other than I need to get out of my own head and go fishing.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
I jeep thinking a 2 wt, so keeping an eye on this post.
mine would be for small brook trout creeks, 20’ wide but often down to 4’. The 4 wt is a bit much, especially with overhanging trees.

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
As a former ultralight addict I would go glass.
If the locking reel seat is not a deal breaker, Cabela’s CGR 2wt had me contemplating selling all of my 1s, 0s and 000. It is more capable that I would have ever guessed. And it just wants to throw tight loops. Find an in expense DT or triangle taper and you’re done. (And if you are patient, they often go on sale for ~$50).
If a locking reel seat is a necessity, the Echo River Glass 2wt is a dry fly dream.
If you want graphite -
the CT is a good entry priced rod that you don’t need to upgrade from (but you may become curios and do so)
If you want to splurge a bit, the Sage Dart 2wt

I have some other thoughts, but with the ultralight, I would go current production rods unless I could get my hands on some very specific items.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I have several 2 weight rods. My favorite is a 7' Winston Biii LS. I think that for the money though, it's probably hard to beat the Redington CT.

flybill

Life of the Party
I built mine on a Rainshadow blank 6' 4 piece.. love it, but honestly don't know what it would compare too. Orvis made some nice 2wt's when I worked there.. but haven't cast anything lately!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
honestly, I'm not totally sure why you folks fishing tiny little streams where you think you may need a 2wt, aren't looking more at a 7'6" (give or take) 4wt glass rod. What is it about a 2wt that's appealing? the amount of bend on little fish? 4wt glass has got you covered...not to mention how durable they are! You know what else? you can use that little 4wt glass on larger streams and not feel under-gunned [within reason]. Man, if I fished little streams for little trout, the first rod I'd grab is one that I ended up getting rid of (because I rarely fish those types of waters any more), a Lamiglas Honey 7'6" 4wt glass. I actually kinda wish I still had that rod!

🍻

Last edited:
I like my sage dart or if you can find and old Sage LL. Try them and see if they suite your style. I like the dart because it is a 2wt but is not a wet noodle , it has a crisp feel to it. Makes for an accurate little rod.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
honestly, I'm not totally sure why you folks fishing tiny little streams where you think you may need a 2wt, aren't looking more at a 7'6" (give or take) 4wt glass rod. What is it about a 2wt that's appealing? the amount of bend on little fish? 4wt glass has got you covered...not to mention how durable they are! You know what else? you can use that little 4wt glass on larger streams and not feel under-gunned [within reason]. Man, if I fished little streams for little trout, the first rod I'd grab is one that I ended up getting rid of (because I rarely fish those types of waters any more), a Lamiglas Honey 7'6" 4wt glass. I actually kinda wish I still had that rod!

🍻

My limit is a glass 3wt. It’s perfect for all those mt hood streams, even the upper clack (as long as the wind isn’t too bad).