Recommendations on 2 Weight

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I have a trigger finger and it does not launch fish. It happens even when a fishing rod is no where near my hand.

I knew my post above would be controversial but wanted to express my thoughts. We all catch dinkers. I just do not target them. My choice. I just want them to grow bigger and hopefully spawn. That is my hope... I will continue to fish with that hope and desire.
Controversial? Seems odd to toss that term in here. Fish long and prosper.

Did you know that resident coastal cutthroat can mature and spawn at very small sizes? As in say 150 mm? No controversy there, just a fact! In some habitats, that is just how big they get.

RCF

Life of the Party
Controversial? Seems odd to toss that term in here. Fish long and prosper.

Did you know that resident coastal cutthroat can mature and spawn at very small sizes? As in say 150 mm? No controversy there, just a fact! In some habitats, that is just how big they get.

Enjoy picking fly shit from a pile of shit? Appears so...

I expressed MY opinion and rationale of targeting fishing for dinkers and why I do no not choose to do so. Yet you confirm that my choice as a prudent one ---> slightly larger ones do spawn. I expressed that I wanted to not fish them in the hopes they would spawn when they get larger. How is that different than my choice? It is not!

I elect to not target dinkers. MY choice!

Controversial? Look at the number of quotes of my post. More than any other post on this thread. Since when posting one's opinion deserve such a response? It does not!

Hope you can get a tight line fishing for dinkers without yanking them over your head and into the bushes/trees behind you...

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Enjoy picking fly shit from a pile of shit? Appears so...

I expressed MY opinion and rationale of targeting fishing for dinkers and why I do no not choose to do so. Yet you confirm that my choice as a prudent one ---> slightly larger ones do spawn. I expressed that I wanted to not fish them in the hopes they would spawn when they get larger. How is that different than my choice? It is not!

I elect to not target dinkers. MY choice!

Controversial? Look at the number of quotes of my post. More than any other post on this thread. Since when posting one's opinion deserve such a response? It does not!

Hope you can get a tight line fishing for dinkers without yanking them over your head and into the bushes/trees behind you...
Dang, man. You are reading way more into this than necessary. Way way more. You did post an opinion (in a sort of judgy way, TBH, but I can handle that) contrary to the fun and enjoyment that most people in this thread get from fishing 2 weight water. That’s fine. Some of us elaborated on our opinions. You take offense at people holding and sharing different opinions apparently? About fishing for small fish? Sheesh.
Your reply here is over the top! I looked at the number of quotes of your post. All of two of us quoted you for real. Flybill just made a silly comment that doesn’t count. Two people. I hope you feel better soon.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Hey, @clarkman maybe that’s a good reason for a 2 wt vs a 4 that I hadn’t thought of—Any 2 weight has far, far less dink-launching power in the butt than any 4 weight.
(for those of us with an occasional quick trigger finger)
yeah, I figure if I'm launching dinks into the woods, I'm just part of [un]naturally selecting the rest of the population to be a larger average size, therefor helping other anglers catch larger fish.

kidding of course, launching dinks is just good old fashioned fun. :LOL:

TBH, I really need to fish some little blue lines some this year. Problem for me is that all of my trout rods are 5+ wts (euro rods don't count).

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Aventik River Runs 2 wt, CGR 2 wt. Fun, inexpensive rods.
Or, go crazy and order a Barclay Gila 2 wt. :)
A light TENKARA rod is a real blast.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
yeah, I figure if I'm launching dinks into the woods, I'm just part of [un]naturally selecting the rest of the population to be a larger average size, therefor helping other anglers catch larger fish.

TBH, I really need to fish some little blue lines some this year. Problem for me is that all of my trout rods are 5+ wts (euro rods don't count).
I give me and @mcswny about 60/40 odds of making a blue line meet up happen this summer, where we can catch both non-target 149 mm “dinkers” as well as 150 mm ethically fished for adult fish, and maybe you can meet us and I can loan you my 1st of (2) CT 2 wts, the one that I rolled a car window up on and then replaced the tip top. It is a 7’4” rod now.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Fishing must be really damn slow where y'all are at.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Mega thread drift on 2 weights:
I got my first fly rod, an 8 weight just before Mt. Saint Helens blew her stack (that would be May 18, 1980). I'd been spending quite a bit of time mooching for salmon and bottom fishing and I was used "setting hard". One of the first times I fished a beaver pond with that 8 weight, I launched a small bass deep into the conifers. The guy I was fishing with laughed and said I ripped the fishes lips off (the bass rose to a yellow humpy, that I remember).

Back to our regularly scheduled thread driftings (my two weight is a Fetha Stix with a lifetime warranty :rolleyes:).

How about more thread drifting: "lifetime warranties"?

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Mega thread drift on 2 weights:
I got my first fly rod, an 8 weight just before Mt. Saint Helens blew her stack (that would be May 18, 1980). I'd been spending quite a bit of time mooching for salmon and bottom fishing and I was used "setting hard". One of the first times I fished a beaver pond with that 8 weight, I launched a small bass deep into the conifers. The guy I was fishing with laughed and said I ripped the fishes lips off (the bass rose to a yellow humpy, that I remember).

Back to our regularly scheduled thread driftings (my two weight is a Fetha Stix with a lifetime warranty :rolleyes:).

How about more thread drifting "lifetime warranties"?
So you're the root of that "rip some lips" phrase!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I give me and @mcswny about 60/40 odds of making a blue line meet up happen this summer, where we can catch both non-target 149 mm “dinkers” as well as 150 mm ethically fished for adult fish, and maybe you can meet us and I can loan you my 1st of (2) CT 2 wts, the one that I rolled a car window up on and then replaced the tip top. It is a 7’4” rod now.

Challenge accepted. I'm going to start looking into zones around Helens.

@clarkman I got a little carried away this year and have a nice both glass 3 and 4 wts to play with.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

@clarkman I got a little carried away this year and have a nice both glass 3 and 4 wts to play with.
Funny how that happens! I got the same problem....but with 9-11wt glass.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

actually, come to think of it, I DO have an old Berkley Gowdy 6'3" 6wt that throws a 3wt and 4wt line really nicely (also throws a 6wt line really nicely).