NFR Rats in the garden

Non-fishing related

RCF

Life of the Party
From OP's post "So before this becomes a real problem, " ---> um, um, um, you have a real problem!

Cats are great. Just make sure they are all the same sex if you have several...

Reactions: HOG

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
The .177, headlamp and six pack (optional) are a valid option.
I've had some fun nights from up in our second floor sniping those dirty fuckers. I may or may not have been fully dressed in camo with face painted. I also may have whispered "this is war fuckers" after taking a few of them out.

Fun fact, if you miss, they sometimes jump straight up in the air with all four legs moving quickly like they are trying to run, but they're up in the air so they don't go anywhere until they hit the ground. It's hilarious.
jaja-hahaha.gif

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Is your chicken coop sitting on the ground or elevated? When we had chickens, the coop was built up on railroad ties, I enclosed the bottom and set traps so the hens and our cats couldn't accidentally get caught in the traps. I used the old Victor spring traps. And once a .22 (we lived outside the city at that time). Good luck.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
From OP's post "So before this becomes a real problem, " ---> um, um, um, you have a real problem!

Cats are great. Just make sure they are all the same sex if you have several...
Eh, they haven't damaged anything yet. A real problem would be like what was described a few posts back with the garage hazard situation.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Is your chicken coop sitting on the ground or elevated? When we had chickens, the coop was built up on railroad ties, I enclosed the bottom and set traps so the hens and our cats couldn't accidentally get caught in the traps. I used the old Victor spring traps. And once a .22 (we lived outside the city at that time). Good luck.
It's elevated quite high up. The floor is like 3' off the ground. They don't seem to go up in the coop that we can tell. But I'm sure they love the treats we throw in there on the ground. They have the coop where they lay eggs and sleep, then a fenced run that spans the whole yard.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
If these are some special rats that attack cats then you should probably call the pros….

Here in Whatcom County you can talk to farmers and get feral cats. This is a breed of cat that will not like people and will not come inside and it will kill everything in its sight and stick around if you put food out for it. My friends with chickens and rat problems have gotten some of these cats and it was very effective.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
We have rats endemic to the neighborhood. No chickens, but plenty of fruit trees. It's fun when the rats keep you awake walking around your crawlspace on the heating ducts. We tried everything, including a terrier, but it took industrial strength poison. Problem gone in a couple of weeks.

Of course, terrier plus poison led to a couple of instances of terrier bringing in a new toy.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Our cat got attacked by one the other night actually. He might be too old to be useful.

My she panther enjoys when they fight back. All the better far as she is concerned. Fear and defeat are unknown to her. She lines her kills up like a limit of fish on the bathroom floor some nights. There the lay in testament to her deadly effectiveness, headless and all oriented in the same direction. They are arranged with the same precision as she dispatches them. Animals of all kinds. Flying squirrels, a myriad rodents, even full size rabbits are on the menu.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
If these are some special rats that attack cats then you should probably call the pros….

Here in Whatcom County you can talk to farmers and get feral cats. This is a breed of cat that will not like people and will not come inside and it will kill everything in its sight and stick around if you put food out for it. My friends with chickens and rat problems have gotten some of these cats and it was very effective.
More like cat made a move and the rat fought back. Cat screamed and ran off.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
The .177, headlamp and six pack (optional) are a valid option.
I've had some fun nights from up in our second floor sniping those dirty fuckers. I may or may not have been fully dressed in camo with face painted. I also may have whispered "this is war fuckers" after taking a few of them out.

Fun fact, if you miss, they sometimes jump straight up in the air with all four legs moving quickly like they are trying to run, but they're up in the air so they don't go anywhere until they hit the ground. It's hilarious.
View attachment 33426
Make sure you don't miss or that will be the most educated rat on the block. They got so weary that the slightest muffled click of the safety switching off sent them running.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
You can try one of these…if the rats aren’t very big these traps work well. I have several in the garage/shop and pump house.
View attachment 33420
I've had good luck with this type of bucket trap outdoors to keep mice out of the vehicles. I did have to redesign it a couple times (metal bucket with lid, etc..) to keep squirrels out. I use the pink RV antifreeze in the water which also serves as a sort of embalming fluid since I don't empty the trap very often.

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Get some bait boxes and some tomcat bait chunx. You may have alternate to seed poison at some point in time.

Tis that time of year.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Originally bred as a ratter, the Miniature Pinscher.....https://www.orvis.com/miniature-pinscher.html
This model is only somewhat effective for rats, but squirrels don't stand a chance. She can take 'em off an 8' fence, she's the fastest dog I've ever known too. Never had mice when we had a terrier. We do occasionally now.

Attachments

• 20220922_152110[1].jpg
    20220922_152110[1].jpg
    641 KB · Views: 21

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Make sure you don't miss or that will be the most educated rat on the block. They got so weary that the slightest muffled click of the safety switching off sent them running.
We have different rats. You've got smart rats, I had dumb rats. I had nights I'd shoot 4 or 5 within the span of a minute and a half. One would pop out, I'd drop it, then 10 seconds later another would pop out. Was a bit like whack a mole, but with rats and a pellet gun. Picking them up afterwards in the dark wasn't fun....

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
We have different rats. You've got smart rats, I had dumb rats. I had nights I'd shoot 4 or 5 within the span of a minute and a half. One would pop out, I'd drop it, then 10 seconds later another would pop out. Was a bit like whack a mole, but with rats and a pellet gun. Picking them up afterwards in the dark wasn't fun....
I have not gone to collect them in the dark a few times, and they are gone in the morning, something comes and eats them (maybe possums, stray cats?). That's the primary reason we don't bait. Kinda goes with our no pesticides in the yard.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have not gone to collect them in the dark a few times, and they are gone in the morning, something comes and eats them (maybe possums, stray cats). That's the primary reason we don't bait. Kinda goes with our no pesticides in the yard.
Like 10yrs ago when I hired a pest control guy to take care of a rat problem, he explained that more often than not, the rats will go to their burrow when they start to feel sick from the poison, and that's where they'll die most the time. Made me feel a little better. Not sure how true it is.