NFR Rats in the garden

Non-fishing related

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
This requires more explanation... some kind of Co2 charged nail gun trap?
Googled it as we had one poop up our basement in the OP house last winter. Pretty cool death machine.

We got one of the electrocution chambers made by Victor and it worked well on mice but the rat was too smart.

Reactions: Zak

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
You can try one of these…if the rats aren’t very big these traps work well. I have several in the garage/shop and pump house.
View attachment 33420
The bucket trap as shown is super deadly. I fill it with water about 1/4 full so they drown when they land. Best part is, it keeps hunting even after nabbing one. Our shop in Ballard has a ton of rats, I’ve seen 4 in the bucket at once. She works.

But also cats. They were born to kill.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The bucket trap as shown is super deadly. I fill it with water about 1/4 full so they drown when they land. Best part is, it keeps hunting even after nabbing one. Our shop in Ballard has a ton of rats, I’ve seen 4 in the bucket at once. She works.

But also cats. They were born to kill.
Since our cat is a scrawny 15yr old Siamese who has lost his killer instinct, I'm gonna put out a few bait boxes, and probably craft a few buckets this weekend. Things are gonna die. Hopefully the target species.

Cliff

Steelhead
We've had rats off and on for years. The worst of it was when our neighbors had a chicken coop butting up against our back fence. They were responsible chicken owners and did their best to keep things as clean as they could, but it was a losing battle. When they finally removed the coop there were rat tunnels running all over in the ground beneath the coop. Our other neighbor keeps a crappy yard with years of blackberry growth, pine needle duff, etc., so we've had rats visiting all the time. Like someone mentioned earlier, I got rid of our bird feeders and that helped. We have two dogs. My English setter occasionally kills a rat. Earlier this week I shot two pheasants on the early pheasant hunt and he went after the downed rooster like a rat - trying to shake it to death. I'm going to have to work with him on retrieves so he doesn't destroy game birds!

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Weasels really are fantastic rodent "cleaners". When the house mice and shop rat population takes a dive..it is just a matter of time until I find out why. Mustelid party ! Weasels are very efficient. Our cat, unfortunately, kills weasels so the the rodent population rises again until more weasels move in.

We have Barn owls in our big barn and I am sure they will not miss an easy meal in-house, but I think they do a good job on the grounds and fields mostly.

weaselsssssssssss.jpg

Chickens killing and eating mice. "Hmmmm, taste like....chicken mouse"
hope this does not ruin anyone's dinner plans

Last edited:

Cliff

Steelhead
Weasels really are fantastic rodent "cleaners". When the house mice and shop rat population takes a dive..it is just a matter of time until I find out why. Mustelid party ! Weasels are very efficient. Our cat, unfortunately, kills weasels so the the rodent population rises again until more weasels move in.

We have Barn owls in our big barn (what were they called before barns?) and I am sure they will not miss an easy meal in-house, but I think they do a good job on the grounds and fields mostly.

View attachment 33602

When my dad was a young Seattle Police patrolman back in the mid-1950's, his first prowler car assignment was located in the Georgetown area of south Seattle, and included much of the waterfront warehouses and piers. Him and his partner worked the midnight to 8am shift and they both used to shoot rats in the wee hours of the morning with their service revolvers. There was a huge rat problem in the pier buildings and the owners actually encouraged this. One time my dad had been BS'ing with a night shift employee there and the guy told him they had tried everything, rat terriers, feral cats, etc., but it was the ferrets that really made an impact. He said they loved to kill rats just for bloodlust and would rarely eat a dead rat and preferred just to chases as many down as possible to kill. He said when the ferret owners would put them back in their cages their fur was red with blood.

kerrys

Ignored Member

We have Barn owls in our big barn and I am sure they will not miss an easy meal in-house, but I think they do a good job on the grounds and fields mostly.

View attachment 33602

hope this does not ruin anyone's dinner plans

8DE397C6-87CB-4A44-BAA5-983210DAC63B.jpeg

Spfd Jason

Smolt
Forum Supporter
It has a piston that is charged by the Co2 cartridge. They put their head up the tunnel to get the bait and activate the trigger. We have the optional deployment counter that lets you know how many times it's been triggered. Gets mice, rats, and ground squirrels. We use a custom bait screen with peanut butter and mixed birdseed. Google Goodnature A24.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
It has a piston that is charged by the Co2 cartridge. They put their head up the tunnel to get the bait and activate the trigger. We have the optional deployment counter that lets you know how many times it's been triggered. Gets mice, rats, and ground squirrels. We use a custom bait screen with peanut butter and mixed birdseed. Google Goodnature A24.
So it's like this?
Anton-No-Country-For-Old-Men.jpg
So when it deploys wouldn't that kill the animal and leave them in the trap, I don't get the deployment counter.

Reactions: Zak

Spfd Jason

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Yep. Kinda of. The Co2 cartridge actually retracts the piston and the critters drop out. It is then charged/set again for the next deployment.
The counter senses the sudden movement of the piston and has a little readout screen. There are several youtube videos.

We set baits out around the yard to get the vermin addicted to our custom spread. It took several days but its worked.