question re noise from textured lines

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Zak have you tried the mpx on the rod youre getting it for? You should also take a look at the infinity. It’s the same weight (1/2 heavy) but it’s a longer head so it’ll mend and roll cast a bit better. It also casts a tad bit more delicately. On my 5wt that needs a heavy line I fish the infinity, but once I go up to 6wts I fish the mpx as I’m fishing more poppers and streamers that need the turnover. Take this with a grain of salt ;)
This rod, a 5wt Iconoglass by @Wetswinger , casts a 5wt Rio CQS beautifully. I'm not a super great caster, but this feels right.

The floating lines I've tried on it so far aren't quite perfect for me. I'm trying to match the grain weight and taper from the CQS, and it looks like the SA MPX is very close.

Divad

Whitefish
This rod, a 5wt Iconoglass by @Wetswinger , casts a 5wt Rio CQS beautifully. I'm not a super great caster, but this feels right.

The floating lines I've tried on it so far aren't quite perfect for me. I'm trying to match the grain weight and taper from the CQS, and it looks like the SA MPX is very close.
Not to deviate from the thread but I use an mpx on my 4wt Iconoglass and prefer it over the 4wt infinity I have. Rod is more predictable with less false casts/less airialised line and likes a short head.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not to deviate from the thread but I use an mpx on my 4wt Iconoglass and prefer it over the 4wt infinity I have. Rod is more predictable with less false casts/less airialised line and likes a short head.
Are you using this MPX (there are so many):

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If you have never used a textured line before, I think you should try it. They are quite fun. As others have mentioned, the original shark skin lines sucked, but SA learned that lesson many years ago.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I used a SA Seamless Density line all summer for coho. It’s based on the MPX taper and has textured hang markers. I never really noticed much noise while casting. I’d definitely try a fully textured line. I had good luck in the past with Airflo Ridge lines.
SF

Reactions: Zak

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Thread drift: Last winter (or was it early spring) I was stretching my Rio Gold WF5F while kicking off shore in my Fat Cat - two things happened simultaneously: a fish hit my jig and my fly line broke in half while stretching the kinks out. I manage to hold onto the "tag" and the fish came unbuttoned. @Engee saved me from Tourettes by tying a nifty square knot in my barely used Gold (about 20' from the loopless tip "loops are evil") thus saving the day. Thanks Randy.

When I got home I emailed Rio and got the standard Rio response "oh, we've never heard of this" - back to the drift: They sent me a new Rio Gold Elite (Elite!) Slick Cast - it's a great line (so far).

I too am a fan of SA Mastery MPX lines.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
No one has mentioned noise transferance in the water. If we can hear it, you can bet the fish do also.
Some, for sure, and a lot more than many think--especially boat noise and noise from inside a boat. Sound coming from an angle of incidence less than 15* tends to transition into the water, while sound at a higher AOI tends to reflect back up. It's a big part of why we could clearly hear the trains in Edmonds when I was growing up in Kingston, even a few miles inland.
1702152528827.png
Wanna spook a lot of fish? Move around and talk a lot in a floorless boat--especially a metal one. It's like a giant speaker diaphragm. When the boat sits in the water the water contacts and partially surrounds the hull and makes for a fairly effective way to transmit sound from boat to water.

Edit: Image courtesy of an old PowerPoint I have from a fishing talk. Creator’s name escapes me, as does where I got the PowerPoint, so if you know, I’ll be happy to update it.

Last edited:

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
I would guess frequency would make a difference in transfer rate too.

Probably the only way to really know is by placing a microphone in the water.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Some, for sure, and a lot more than many think--especially boat noise and noise from inside a boat. Sound coming from an angle of incidence less than 15* tends to transition into the water, while sound at a higher AOI tends to reflect back up. It's a big part of why we could clearly hear the trains in Edmonds when I was growing up in Kingston, even a few miles inland.
View attachment 94210
Wanna spook a lot of fish? Move around and talk a lot in a floorless boat--especially a metal one. It's like a giant speaker diaphragm. When the boat sits in the water the water contacts and partially surrounds the hull and makes for a fairly effective way to transmit sound from boat to water.

Edit: Image courtesy of an old PowerPoint I have from a fishing talk. Creator’s name escapes me, as does where I got the PowerPoint, so if you know, I’ll be happy to update it.
It truly is a red assed world.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are you suggesting the line makes sound going through the water or the fish might hear what an angler hears from above the water?
I have no doubt that the noise/vibration of the line being retrieved through the guides transfers down through the water. The fish are far more sensitive to sounds and vibration than we are.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thank you so much, everyone, for your associate and recommendations. I went with the SA Mastery MPX because it has an identical taper and grain weight to the CQS.

Now I just need some time off of work to try it out!

Last edited: