question re noise from textured lines

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I am picking up a new SA MPX 5wt floating line. I am trying to decide between the SA MPX "Mastery" and the SA MPX "Amplitude Textured." The Mastery is smooth and the Textured is, well, textured. The textured line has a better coating and apparently floats better (and is about $40 more expensive).

I have never had a textured line. I think a raspy noise every time I cast might bother me. I'd welcome any thoughts on this. Thanks!

RCF

Life of the Party
A couple of years ago on another site there was a lot of discussion about SA Mastery GPX textured lines damaging/wearing out guides because the texture 'holds' onto dirt more readily. Not sure if it was ever definitive in the cause/result but has always stuck in the back of my mind...

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I only use textured lines in the salt. They certainly shoot better, so I like them. They won't damage your guides, that is nonsense, but they will damage your finger if you strip set a tarpon.

Edit: cortland smooth lines shoot as well if not better than SA textured in my opinion. But SA textured > SA smooth

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I actually really like the noise--I'm not sure why.

But I feel like your missing a line in their line it. I think it goes
from least expensive to most

Mastery
Amplitude Smooth
Amplitude (textured)

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I only use textured lines in the salt. They certainly shoot better, so I like them. They won't damage your guides, that is nonsense, but they will damage your finger if you strip set a tarpon.
I had one of the original Sharkskin lines that wore grooves on the single foot pac bay guides I used on a 4wt build back in the day after a summer of fishing. Every single guide and tip top besides the stripping guide. Still haven't fixed that rod :(

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I actually really like the noise--I'm not sure why.

But I feel like your missing a line in their line it. I think it goes
from least expensive to most

Mastery
Amplitude Smooth
Amplitude (textured)
Thank you! Maybe the Amplitude smooth is the line for me!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The current textured lines are a far cry from the old sharkskin lines (e.g. round sand paper).

The only current textured lines that are gonna wear down your guides (eventually) are the ones with tungsten powder embedded into them (also goes with smooth lines with the same).

All that said, personally, I tend to fish mostly non-textured because my Cortland lines that typically use for muskies are not. But, I also really like the SA 3D textured lines (noise isn't near what the sharkskin lines had). They feel great in hand and fish really well. I have no idea if the texture helps or hurts distance (I haven't really noticed it).

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think textured lines last longer. The noise doesn’t bother me and they don’t damage guides any more than a normal line.

That said, they will burn your finger more often than a regular line and for the reason I’m out.. but really the new mastery lines are so good and for the price difference, mastery’s win for me.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have one of those sharkskin type lines..... I always thought of Les Schwab siping tires...i know not related but always entered my mind. And one question...if they burn your fingers more than regualr line why wouldn't they burn into the guides? Rough on finger rough on any material? nah?

I have seen some rods with guides after heavy use with sharkskin line and i saw significant wear, more than usual....just an observation not truth!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I had one of the original Sharkskin lines that wore grooves on the single foot pac bay guides I used on a 4wt build back in the day after a summer of fishing. Every single guide and tip top besides the stripping guide. Still haven't fixed that rod :(
I have scars on my index finger from that friggin line. The sound is annoying to me on the aggressively textured lines. Fortunately, the SA infinity comes in a smooth that may cost a person 10% distance vs the textured but is worth it.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
zzzzzziiiiinnnnnggggg is a cool sound when casting I must admit….but zzzziiinnnnggg by a fly reel and followed by a back voice saying ‘Holy Shi-#%^’ …. That’s not anything other than simple whoa 😮 FUN !!!!

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The sharkskin has been discontinued for many years, and not the line OP is considering, so I don't see why they are relevant. I have fished more than one lifetime of Amplitude Textured line on a rod without any sign of wear. I think it would take many line lifetimes. No risk in trying one.

flybill

Life of the Party
Textured lines are okay, they do cast well and the noise if minimal, however if you get a hot fish do not hang onto to the line.. I've had some road rash and cuts from the original sharkskin.. Hold it firm and if the fish runs, let it go or get cut.

I personally will stick with slick lines and you can still get some road rash, if not careful.. but it's definitely more forgiving.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Zak have you tried the mpx on the rod youre getting it for? You should also take a look at the infinity. It’s the same weight (1/2 heavy) but it’s a longer head so it’ll mend and roll cast a bit better. It also casts a tad bit more delicately. On my 5wt that needs a heavy line I fish the infinity, but once I go up to 6wts I fish the mpx as I’m fishing more poppers and streamers that need the turnover. Take this with a grain of salt ;)