Pyramid lake

spooky007

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Oh another thing like mentioned above, leave the 4wt at home!!
A good general information article on the Pilot Peak strain. A great fish recovery story.

A good general information article on the Pilot Peak strain. A great fish recovery story.

There’s some decent info out there but still a lot of blanks… Had a discussion about this with a buddy on fish identification of the Pilot Peak and Summit strain… The general rule of thumb is that the pilots are clipped (no adipose, occasionally tagged) and grow fast and large and Summit strain are smaller and with adipose… The tribal hatcheries rear the summits and the pilots reared by USDW… What I do know with confidence is March is busier than hell at Pyramid so patience and focus are 100% required as and dunk or grab could be the fish you traveled there for!!

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
To the OP, be sure to fish all the way in to yourself if stripping, or as close as possible. Especially if it’s cloudy or choppy. The fish are known to follow; speaker at our meeting said he’s caught fish that took his indicator flies that were 2’ off his ladder while he was knocking ice off his guides.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ditto what's said above about fishing all the way to the rod tip. While wading ashore from my ladder, I hooked one when my fly came off the hook keeper and dangled in the water. It was overcast and windy at the time. It's a way cool place - here's a pic of my grandson Chase from our trip last year.

pyramid7.jpg

Last edited: