Pyramid lake

MT406

Steelhead
Finding some cheap flights to Reno for March. Pyramid has always been on my bucket list. Thinking about hiring a guide one day and fishing on my own for a day or two. Planning on bringing my Sage X 7wt and my Winston 4wt spey rod.

Any recommendations on outfitters, flies or places to fish ?

Last edited:

MT406

Steelhead
Thanks. Was hoping to get some firsthand recommendations. I’ve already got a few replies on outfitters to avoid.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
With a two word Google search I came up with at least a half dozen guides/outfitters. Call a couple of them. Good luck and how about a trip report when you get back. That lake sure grows some HUGE trout.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
1. Rent a ladder for sure.
2. Leave the 4wt home.
3. Bring a second rod like at least a 6 wt. Have two rods set up and with you on the water. One for stripping and one for indicators.

Tons of info on the linked website for equipment and techniques.

Have fun! I'll be there March 16-19.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well I fished it for the first time a few years ago. If you go to Pelican Beach you'll find a long beach with a giant parking lot and lots of ladder action and lots of big cutts in shallow water. I did not find a lot of biters however. The fish are there but not grabby. Seem to be interested in spawning but not my flies.

So I caught a couple and foul hooked a couple.

That being said it is a cool/wierd place and the fish are incredible.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Aces and 8's. If the wind is roaring, you'll need to touch up your blackjack game.

Watch for late followers before winding up a new cast. Don't have a heart attack if they are big

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Haven't been in 15 years but when I went we used to get them on a running line and a sink tip with a floating beetle. We didn't have them back then but I'd imagine a trout spey would be good for fishing that style from shore.

While the majority pile up in the sweet spot there are certainly other ways to catch them.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
It is my understanding that a true genetic strain of the original Lahontan Cutthroat is now residing in the lake after they were rediscovered in a high mountain creek.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
It is my understanding that a true genetic strain of the original Lahontan Cutthroat is now residing in the lake after they were rediscovered in a high mountain creek.
That's what they said about Bonneville Cutthroat also. Supposedly they were found in the obscure Deep Creek Mtns. on the Utah/Nev. border. They grow large also..

Gregorygant

Just Hatched
I spend the winters down in Incline Village and would recommend the dudes at Tahoe Fly Fishing outfitters in Truckee. The guides are solid and have always had pretty good experiences. They have a storefront in Truckee so you can "test the waters" before a commit.

Have fun, you'll love it!

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Yes, that is the Pilot Peak strain and these fish are growing bigger than the Summit strain. I believe the Pilot Peak fish have their adipose fin clipped to help distinguish them from the Summit strain.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How can you bring a step ladder on the airplane?
Buy one at Home Depot in Sparks, rinse and return it when done. Just kidding, it used to be done before stores got wise. There are place to rent several different kinds; modified with a seat , stripping basket, rod holders, wheels available.

my club meeting last night featured a member speaker who has spent over 550 days at the lake in last 23 years. Several fish over 20 lbs to his credit. Following recently posted on Kiene’s website:
1677946174016.jpegAccording to Chris the fish over 12 pounds tend to be the Pilot Peak strain, they mature later, live longer and get bigger.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Buy one at Home Depot in Sparks, rinse and return it when done. Just kidding, it used to be done before stores got wise. There are place to rent several different kinds; modified with a seat , stripping basket, rod holders, wheels available.

my club meeting last night featured a member speaker who has spent over 550 days at the lake in last 23 years. Several fish over 20 lbs to his credit. Following recently posted on Kiene’s website:
View attachment 56653According to Chris the fish over 12 pounds tend to be the Pilot Peak strain, they mature later, live longer and get bigger.
What a beast