Puget Sound

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Headed south for a quick session as I only had a few hours to fish before taking are of some family business.
Nice first light on the beach.

AD5708FF-76D5-485D-90DD-D741A07EB9EE.jpeg73478B23-DFE0-4926-B1EE-C42DC0DB9FF0.jpeg8F27C01F-95A0-42CA-A4AB-5B427DBCFFD1.jpeg

As other mentioned in a couple threads, the fish were right on the beach. I never hooked a fish today more than 10 feet off the beach.
Water was surprisingly clear but lots of stuff in the water. This was about an hour before peak high.

9AE82AA6-C481-47CB-B54B-869F8F179ABC.jpeg

Decent number of fish to hand. This was the best of the morning.

1528ECEA-9CAA-4558-B701-C72D599CBFA9.jpegAA13E7F4-4F88-4980-8504-2A06869719EC.jpeg

Really nice day out. Almost too nice with the bright skies. I dressed way too warm.
Saw a guy walking across the Narrows bridge on the way home with no shirt on.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
Fish were everywhere today, rising in the sunny brisk weather and right along the junk lines. Debris was about but this heavenly lack of wind kept all of it right up near shore.

4 or 5 small residents landed with the same amount missed and one big cuttie in the 17/18in that I goofed the net job on. They didn’t like the squimp nearly as much as a brown/copper egg sucking leech. A lot of fun on the 3wt.

3D739A56-1AD3-4035-841C-795E91034164.jpeg

415D01F7-F76D-4D81-BC40-AB01BB6F3F50.jpeg

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Wife and I took a nice walk at a south Sound park beach today and I did some casting practice for about thirty minutes. Unlike @Divad fish were not everywhere where I was, in fact I saw none. 😄 Not even a sculpin to be seen anywhere!
It was a pretty day though with that stunning, soft, wintertime light we get this time of year, complete with a couple pods of Harbor Porpoise breaking the surface occasionally.

3502B3EE-49B8-4537-AD10-DD530DB9EB77.jpeg

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A great day of fishing…for the older gentleman next to me. He offered me some advice on leaving more line out while casting, and trying to feed the line while back and front casting, as well as keeping the fly off the water. My casts spooked all the fish off. There was a really high quality fish that surfaced maybe 15 feet next to me but nothing. Some of my casts were getting 30-35 feet out, most were in the 25 foot range

Attachments

• 69E516B6-1CA0-4E62-8226-366530CFCA1E.jpeg
    69E516B6-1CA0-4E62-8226-366530CFCA1E.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 24D92D53-1A6C-4AE4-BB1F-FA1FD8E824AA.jpeg
    24D92D53-1A6C-4AE4-BB1F-FA1FD8E824AA.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
A great day of fishing…for the older gentleman next to me. He offered me some advice on leaving more line out while casting, and trying to feed the line while back and front casting, as well as keeping the fly off the water. My casts spooked all the fish off. There was a really high quality fish that surfaced maybe 15 feet next to me but nothing. Some of my casts were getting 30-35 feet out, most were in the 25 foot range. I’ve spent a lot of time getting casting lessons but i have had really disappointing progress. even though it is happening slowly. If any of you have specific suggestions to improving my standard overhead cast I would greatly appreciate ti. I’ve practiced casting at least once a week for a while now and while I am improving, the improvement is limited.
I would start a new thread to ask for casting advice.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
A great day of fishing…for the older gentleman next to me. He offered me some advice on leaving more line out while casting, and trying to feed the line while back and front casting, as well as keeping the fly off the water. My casts spooked all the fish off. There was a really high quality fish that surfaced maybe 15 feet next to me but nothing. Some of my casts were getting 30-35 feet out, most were in the 25 foot range
That spot is full of highly educated fish.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Nice day on the water. A few fish around but nothing picture worthy.
I fished a new to me Cortland “Medium” full intermediate. It’s designed for freshwater and it felt kind of odd fishing a line with orange hang markers in the salt.
The first few casts I was thinking it wasn’t going to work as it was floating like the SA Sonar Titan. It did finally start sinking well the more I fished it.
It tangled more than I anticipated, but is easy to cast when it didn’t tangle. I’ll need to give it a really good stretch next time.

On the litter front, is anyone missing a made for fun toy, a shoe sole, a paisley ascot or a perfectly good jar of Ragu spaghetti sauce?
SF

8A7741AC-7648-4D49-8F7A-086B11D58BEC.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Nice day on the water. A few fish around but nothing picture worthy.
I fished a new to me Cortland “Medium” full intermediate. It’s designed for freshwater and it felt kind of odd fishing a line with orange hang markers in the salt.
The first few casts I was thinking it wasn’t going to work as it was floating like the SA Sonar Titan. It did finally start sinking well the more I fished it.
It tangled more than I anticipated, but is easy to cast when it didn’t tangle. I’ll need to give it a really good stretch next time.

On the litter front, is anyone missing a made for fun toy, a shoe sole, a paisley ascot or a perfectly good jar of Ragu spaghetti sauce?
SF

View attachment 50881
Swimmy said a prepaid shipping box is on the way for the paisley ascot :)

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Slow out there today, we fished a lake in the morning first waiting for the tide to drop.
This fish was fining in shallow oyster beds, I made a cast and 2 hand stripped since current was pushing the fly towards me. It ate it but got off.
I then walked toward shore ankle deep to neak up on it seeing how it was still fining, changed to a euphasid fly and got hit after a couple of strips. Most likely a second one in the area.

PXL_20230122_181224126.jpgPXL_20230122_181248651.jpg

Divad

Whitefish
All these great pictures of fish! Mostly I'm just looking at smooth green water and a point. South Sound this day was empty with no visible life.
I’ve learned over the last few months we here at the end of the PS don’t have the frequency as other beaches a little north.

Still good fish to be had and not to discourage I saw a lot of coho this year mulling around Budd Inlet. I’ve also caught some healthy cutties, but it’s always a balancing act of driving an additional hour + round trip or shooting the Olympia/Lacey bits and just happy to be out.

Jisabi

Steelhead
Very true. It can often be inconsistent even with good currents and structure. I guess the the fish (and I) will be back when the baitfish and shrimp show up.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
We're approaching the time of year where things can get a little bit goofy on the south sound, at least in regards to src. Not that fish can't be caught, but I'd say I'm less surprised by slower days this time of year than others.

Coho wise I haven't been seeing large numbers of them in the areas I fish a lot, but I have been encountering some here and there and often where I don't expect to see them. I love those little guys but they sure can be a mystery to me.

Really nice weather out on the water today. As close to perfect fishing conditions as I could hope for this time of year.