Public Service - Great deal on Winter Wader pants

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I'm always looking for good deals on pants that work well in winter under breathable waders. Want to be able to walk into Forks Thriftway to buy supplies and not look like I'm wearing fleece pajama bottoms, then pull up to the Hoh or Bogie and don the waders without having to strip to my undies to put on wader-specific pants.

I want at least 5 pockets for all my misc. stuff (keys, wallet), lightweight, water resistant, not too bulky and fleece lined.

And VOILA - Costco came up with the best one I've found so far at a very fair price ( less than $30).

The Eddie Bauer Fleece Lined Tech pants. Check em out if you're looking.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm always looking for good deals on pants that work well in winter under breathable waders. Want to be able to walk into Forks Thriftway to buy supplies and not look like I'm wearing fleece pajama bottoms, then pull up to the Hoh or Bogie and don the waders without having to strip to my undies to put on wader-specific pants.

I want at least 5 pockets for all my misc. stuff (keys, wallet), lightweight, water resistant, not too bulky and fleece lined.

And VOILA - Costco came up with the best one I've found so far at a very fair price ( less than $30).

x2...my daily winter pants when it drops below 30...

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter

I saw those on my last trip. Having the exposed zipper on the side concerns me that it might put extra wear on the waders. At almost 70 years old I don't worry about what I look like when I go in wearing my Reddington fleece. As long as I don't have a booger hanging out of my nose I'm fine.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I bought the Gerry fleece lined pants at Costco a couple years ago and use them under waders all the time. I looked online and they are only $16.97 now, but they have very limited sizes available.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Good observation Wayne - the side zipper is plastic and I hadn't thought much about the possibility it might put extra wear on the waders. I'll have to keep an eye on the waders to see if it has an effect.

I'm not really that concerned about my appearance, but what I don't like about the sweat pant style is that they dont have enough pockets for me and those that do always have a generic inseam with the elastic cuffs and little plastic governer which is a PIA (ankle) inside wading boots.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I saw those on my last trip. Having the exposed zipper on the side concerns me that it might put extra wear on the waders. At almost 70 years old I don't worry about what I look like when I go in wearing my Reddington fleece. As long as I don't have a booger hanging out of my nose I'm fine.
Oh Wayne... am I supposed to tell you if you have a bugger on your face on those cold mornings? Haha

I have s pair of the Eddie Bauer pants they are really nice. My breathable simms are baggy enough on the sides not to be a problem and the back pockets are velcro.

They kept me really warm at the Winter Classic, was really glad to have them on, by the end of the game!

dep

Steelhead
you were at the winter classic - so was I! had front row seats in the Trident bar in left field.
super nice place to watch the game!
the whiskey kept me warm

flybill

Life of the Party
Ordered! Had close to my size and I live my beat up fleece lined khakis I have! They ship for free and if they don't fit Costco will take them back! Thanks for the heads up!

iggie

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

I always wear Cabela's wool pants. If I take a swim, I take them off and wring them out. They insulate even damp.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I usually just wear jeans under my waders, but in really cold weather I will put on a pair of Land's End flannel-lined khakis. Where I fish, you usually only need to wade in order to cross the stream; My waders are for wind protection as much as water protection. In the summer folks do fish from in the river, usually because the creek is boxed in on either side by overhanging meadow grass and a direct upstream cast is the only way to fish that water. That grass is (mostly) gone in the winter.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Nothing wrong with the Redingtons as pure wader pants. I was looking for a lined, lightweight, and water resistant pant with doubled as wader pants. Apples and Oranges ;)

MELinOre

Steelhead
We dropped by our local(relatively) Costco to check out the Eddie Bauer Fleece Lined Pants. They had a decent selection and my size in stock. Warehouse price was $24.99.

I also found Orvis Fleece lined pants for the same price as the Eddie Bauer, and "Weatherproof Vintage" Fleece Lined Pants for $19.99.
The material on the Eddie Bauer and Orvis appeared to be the same while the Weatherproof Vintage is a heavier outer fabric.

I went with the Orvis as they have six pockets with two of them being cargo leg zippered(zipper is covered by a fabric flap). I wear 36x30 pants normally and that size from Orvis fit me well.
P1010123.JPG

Last edited:

SRC&Bassbum

Steelhead
I have multiple pairs of the Eddie Bauer fleece lined pants and they work great as under wader pants and also in the recent cold weather.
For what they are they are much cheaper than the Simms Coldweather pants I had used before. A merino wool baselayer underneath and they work great

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
I have multiple pairs of the Eddie Bauer fleece lined pants and they work great as under wader pants and also in the recent cold weather.
For what they are they are much cheaper than the Simms Coldweather pants I had used before. A merino wool belayer underneath and they work great
Got a pair delivered Friday.. wearing them today out in the garage while smoking a cigar.. had to order ones a little longer than I wanted but they fit fine and will be my wading pants til they wear out!! Very comfortable!!

SRC&Bassbum

Steelhead
The Eddie Bauer pair I have, have a side pocket zipper and a flap that covers the zipper. I don’t think this will cause a wear on the waders problem. I rarely wade past my knees anyways…. Not sure if that also would factor into that.

Last edited:

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Found this yesterday at Costco. I am not a pullover hoodie guy (as 90% of all crime is committed by people wearing hoodies) but this is a Gerry full zip micro fleece hoodie ($16.99) that will be a great base layer. It comes right to the end of the brim of my hat.
20240117_101435.jpg
20240117_101427.jpg

It had a longer backside so cold Crack is not an issue...
20240117_101444.jpg