Preventing theft while camping, is it a big issue?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks for all the input. My ideal would be to not spend on a trailer and just stick most of my crap in my tent just to at least keep things from being obvious. Might need to get a bigger tent...
Under the tent is a good place, too.

A friend hides his things there when leaving camp, under the impression that someone rifling the camp, even looking in the tent, won’t think to lol there. Plus, it’s fairly weatherproof and easy to access.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve been camping for years and like others have said, campgrounds where there are many eyes, I tend not to worry. I’m either camping on the river out of my drift boat with no worries or in my trailer. With the trailer, when I’m gone for the day, I tend to stow my outside gear when I head out fishing. Takes a few minutes but gives me peace of mind. So far, no issues! IMG_3017.jpeg

Kado

Steelhead
I’ve been camping for years and like others have said, campgrounds where there are many eyes, I tend not to worry. I’m either camping on the river out of my drift boat with no worries or in my trailer. With the trailer, when I’m gone for the day, I tend to stow my outside gear when I head out fishing. Takes a few minutes but gives me peace of mind. So far, no issues! View attachment 64240
Newbie question....does the trailer hitch have a lock to keep someone from simply hooking up and driving off?

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Newbie question....does the trailer hitch have a lock to keep someone from simply hooking up and driving off?
Yes. The trailer tongue is locked and the truck hitch and the anti-sway bars are locked in the storage compartment. I also lock my drift boat trailer to the locked truck hitch. Sad that I have to do all of that but it gives me peace of mind.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just get one of those cardboard man sized targets, make some nice tight groups in it - head, and heart. Lean that up against a tree in your campsite.
Only time I have been ripped off was at night at a southwest WA lake that has a hex hatch. When I got back to my truck someone had thrown a rock through the drivers side window so hard it dented the passenger side door out. 1000 dollars damage to steal a six pack cooler. My only consolation was it had non-alchoholic beer in it, HA!
Best to leave the car unlocked. Easier to replace the cooler.