Preventing theft while camping, is it a big issue?

Kado

Steelhead
I have not really camped since the 80's, and back then, theft wasn't as prevalent and I really didn't have anything worth stealing. As I near retirement, I am envious of trip reports where overnight camping is involved. I have not decided whether a camper, trailer, or just pitching a tent is the way to go. Part of my decision would be based on how secure my stuff would be as I leave the site to go fishing. I'd probably be driving my vehicle away some of the time, so any ideas about what to do with the stuff I leave back at the site? Okay to leave tables, chairs, etc out? I currently use stuff I wouldn't lose too much sleep if it got stolen, but it would still really piss me off enough to put a real damper on an otherwise nice fishing trip. The few times I've recently gone camping, I've seen people leaving everything pretty much out in the open (stoves, coolers, solar panels) which surprises me but sort of gives me a little faith in humanity.
I know this is a vague question, but just looking for things to consider.
Thanks,
Mark

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Never happened to me, but it does happen occasionally. Most of my camping stuff is not that valuable or nice, so I usually don't sweat it, but if I am sweating it, I toss the stuff I am worried about into the rig.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
A very good friend of mine had his truck broken into at Susan Creek day use and a bunch of gear stolen, the guy was hiding under a nearby picnic table. Fortunately for the guy my friend had just dislocated his knee wading the run there and wasn't able to be physical during their confrontation after which everything was returned.. this was half a mile from the campground..

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have only had it happen once. Like Rob's friend it was on the North Umpqua albeit upstream of Susan Creek. Overall, it is not something that I worry about too much.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I think a lot of it depends on where you are camping. I've not heard of many thefts in active regular campgrounds. But I suspect if you are off the beaten path on rivers that are closer to dirtbag zones, it can happen.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Theft at campgrounds has been going on since the 60s that I know of. The good thing is that it is uncommon. The bad thing is that it is not rare. I leave my campsite unattended, but I don't leave anything valuable out. I put it in my car, cuz everyone know that cars are never broken into - - oops!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Not much of a problem in an actual campground, but 'wild' camping may be a different matter. I'd be far more concerned about theft and damage to the vehicle used to go fishing.

Many 'eyes' generally mean less theft at camp grounds or parking spots.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I haven't had a problem but then, I mostly camp at state parks. I leave my cot tent, sleeping bag, cook stove, BBQ, chairs, etc out when I go fishing. I might just be lucky.

tkww

Steelhead
Shouldn't be a problem. Like others I wouldn't leave anything of actual value behind (say, a camera), or leave rods sitting out, etc.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
In my experience, it depends on where you camp and when. In February, when the weather sucks and we've been about the only people camping, I've felt safer leaving stuff in camp than in the car that we parked streamside.

In summer, when the weather's nice and crowds were about I used to feel safer leaving it in my car, not trusting the campsite. Now it seems bastards are everywhere and nowhere other than on your person is really safe.

That all said, I've never had anything stolen from my campsite. It might be that my camping gear is fairly shitty and/or not easy to steal, but they seem to leave it alone.

Kado

Steelhead
Thanks for all the input. My ideal would be to not spend on a trailer and just stick most of my crap in my tent just to at least keep things from being obvious. Might need to get a bigger tent...

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Thanks for all the input. My ideal would be to not spend on a trailer and just stick most of my crap in my tent just to at least keep things from being obvious. Might need to get a bigger tent...
...and a bigger dog.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Oh, at DF, the thieves have four legs and are masked. They know about zippers on pontoons and can carry small coolers into the sage. Not all thieves walk on two legs. I use those small calibeners to join my two zippers - it works.
And don’t leave your truck window 4 inches down with a family size bag of doritos in the cab unless you want little orange paw prints and orange crumbs all over the interior.