Pontoon ?s

headduck

Steelhead
Looking for a used single pontoon that would be adequate for our western rivers.

New to it all so will take it slow and careful.

Lots of choices out there and wonder If there are meaningful difference between the various vessles.

Bucks vs outcast vs bad cat, dave scadden, Colorado

Imagine throwing atop the prius.

So far outcast are most prevalent on the used market, not sure if that's a good thing or bad.

What are folks preferences and why?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Outcast makes outstanding products and has excellent service should you ever need it.
SF

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a Bucks Bags 'toon. (I've seen them used for less than $200.) I clad the bottom-most members of the frame with pipe insulation so that it can sit directly on my roof between the roof rack bars without scratching the metal. It takes about 90 seconds to secure it to the car. I have a small car (a Ford Escape) and throw the oars and the bags in the back. I made an anchor using second-hand barbell weights and a long eye bolt, but if you don't plan to fish still water I wouldn't bother. Don't try to anchor a 'toon in moving water unless you have a death wish.

Triggw

Steelhead
Watch the weight. You don't want to try to lift a Colorado on top of your car.

I have a Bucks Bags Southfork. For years I put it up on top of my truck topper, since it was a light boat. Now I have a camper in the truck bed and carry the boat on a trailer.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
If you are looking to run rivers as opposed to use it just for stillwater fishing, I would go for a 9 footer over an 8 footer, just more stable. I am not a fan of the pinned oars like on most of the Scadden boats when on moving water. Outcast is great, I would consider Catchercraft if buying new. It may be easier to put the frame on top of the car and deflate the tubes and put them in. I had an Outcast Pac 8 I just sold and the frame comes apart as well, I bought it from Ira and he had the whole thing broken down and in the back of his Prius when I bought it from him. Again if for mostly rivers, you can consider the Outcast OSG Clearwater as well.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Hard to beat a Buck's Bags Bronco. I know because I have three of them. Stainless steel frames are tough as they come. Once launched one of them by dropping it from the C-Post Bridge. I'm going to be selling one of them in a month or so.

headduck

Steelhead
Thanks guys. Seems CO has some heft perhaps lesser quality than outcast and bucks which seem to be favorites. I do see bucks has a more mt following and outcast wa...if CL ads are an indicator.

My first goal is the sol duc. It's so close and although I have found some good bank spots the grass is always so much greener.

The hoh is calling too...

I assume a 8-10' toon would be adequate and safe with practice and training. I'm a strong swimmer with some float time...just enough to add that respect for the hydraulic. Always wear a pfd.

Drift boats are great but $$ and logistics dont add up yet.

If the season wasnt so close... I'd wait for recession and used bonanza.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I might be wrong but it almost seems like Buck's Bags is out of the pontoon business other than maybe the Sawtooth model which is a much cheapened version of what they built their reputation on.
Outcast is a good boat but has a much heavier steel frame which I always thought was unnecessary. My friend has a 9 footer that's a beast compared to my 9' Bucks. IMO, the Classic Accessories Colorado models are no comparison.
If Sportsman's has the Lost Creek you would basically be getting the Outcast at a much reduced price.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I might be wrong but it almost seems like Buck's Bags is out of the pontoon business other than maybe the Sawtooth model which is a much cheapened version of what they built their reputation on.
Outcast is a good boat but has a much heavier steel frame which I always thought was unnecessary. My friend has a 9 footer that's a beast compared to my 9' Bucks. IMO, the Classic Accessories Colorado models are no comparison.
If Sportsman's has the Lost Creek you would basically be getting the Outcast at a much reduced price.
I've noticed they have a lot of "out of stock" things listed. I'm hoping it's only a supply chain problem. But then again - I've already got mine! :)

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I believe that Buck's is out of the 'toon business. Depending on what you're looking for I wouldn't necessarily consider that as a disqualifier. The 'toons (bags) and the frame are the critical parts. All else can be replaced or home-built.

Regardless of what you land on, you may want to customize a bit. I made an extension to surround and support a mesh cargo bag just behind the seat, using PVC secured to the frame with velcro straps. That holds my spare clothes, lunch, drinks, etc. A rod holder is a must to leave my hands free to row. I also rigged a strap between the foot supports so that I can jump into the resulting 'donut hole' in shallow water on the Deschutes. That way I can fish (while not floating) without concerns about the boat floating away.

I've seen folks with fish finders too, but that's not my thing.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I also rigged a strap between the foot supports
I do something similar by connecting a Bungee cord to the two rings at the tips of the pontoons.

headduck

Steelhead
Any one float the catchercraft freestone? How was the experince and percieved(actual) limits?

I'm 6'1 200...less on a good day.

I'm starting to feel like these 8-9 footers are really small.

I did just watch a special on a crazy old guy named Dickn Griffin... he did much more than I'm imagining in a little frameless pack raft... so there is hope if you know what your doing....

BDD

Steelhead
I'd buy an Outcast with full confidence. I'd buy their Fish Cat brand for stillwaters without reservation. I'm not sure Bad Cat has made anything new in a long time. I would not buy anything from Colorado but that is me. Not sure if Bucks is making boats anymore. The Broncos were pretty good, I'd have no problem buying a used one but I'm not sure stainless is a great material to use for frames doing a lot of river work. We've had to repair a few over the years because of how hard and brittle stainless is. There is no flex so when going through a lot of rapids, as you might expect in rivers, they can fail over time. Would never be a problem in stillwaters. No comment on the last one but it has been discussed so much over the years, there's nothing really to add anyway.

Here's a few shots of my trip to AK last month. I took the breakdown version of the Freestone on the flight and I'm not sure there would have been a better choice for me and how I like to fish. I floated 13 miles of river each day for five days, through intense log jams, shallow riffles with only an inch of water, and a fish weir operated by ADFG and completely enjoyed every minute of the trip. I'm your height (and north of your weight by more than I'd like to admit) and the Freestone worked very well for me. If you packed as light as WW you could easily take enough gear for a week-long trip.

Attachments

• Breakdown Freestone.jpg
    Breakdown Freestone.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Crossing the Weir.jpg
    Crossing the Weir.jpg
    754.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Put In.jpg
    Put In.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 34

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I've had two Bucks bags. One 9' and 1 7'. The 9 for rivers and the 7 for lakes only. The 9' one split on the seam. This dumb ass left it in the sun and it swelled up and split on a seam. Then this dumb ass took it to a place that made tops for boats and they sewed it up. A lot cheaper than sending it back to the maker. They did a nice job on the seam.

Reactions: Zak

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Thanks guys. Seems CO has some heft perhaps lesser quality than outcast and bucks which seem to be favorites. I do see bucks has a more mt following and outcast wa...if CL ads are an indicator.

My first goal is the Sol Duc. It's so close and although I have found some good bank spots the grass is always so much greener.

The hoh is calling too...

I assume a 8-10' toon would be adequate and safe with practice and training. I'm a strong swimmer with some float time...just enough to add that respect for the hydraulic. Always wear a pfd.

Drift boats are great but $$ and logistics dont add up yet.

If the season wasnt so close... I'd wait for recession and used bonanza.
A note of caution. If you are going to float the Sol Duc, it would behoove you to float it with someone that has done it for a while. It isn't for a newbie in a pontoon boat. But if you have a death wish, go for it.