NFR Pizza

Non-fishing related

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Being a west coast WA native, I'm not a pizza snob. I like a combo with lotsa' stuff on it. Pepperoni, salami, sausage, onion, mushrooms, olives, green pepper, extra cheese. All on a thin crust; that way I have room to eat an extra slice. Farrelli's seems to be the best locally, and the large size is $27 or so. On the convenience front I'm impressed with Papa Murphy's thin crust combo, and it's only $18. If only pizza were a health food I would have it 2 or 3 times a week!
Have you tried Old School Pizza or Wicked Pies? They make the closest to NY style pizza I have had in the greater Oly area.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Have you tried Old School Pizza or Wicked Pies? They make the closest to NY style pizza I have had in the greater Oly area.
+1 Old School Pizza in Olympia! Was my go-to when I lived within easy walking distance for about 6 years in downtown Olympia.

My most favorite pizza I ever had was in Namche Bazaar on the trek to Mt Everest. Made with yak cheese and likely not worthy a real meal near sea level, it was so good at 11,286 feet. Might have been multi-weeks plus of eating trail food higher up that made the return pizza so much better.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
No, I haven't. Not sure, but I think NY style isn't my style of pizza. My understanding is that NY pizza only has a few things on it, albeit, done perfectly. I like a meat eater combo type of pizza. Lotsa' meat and vegetables make it a complete meal for me. And now that I don't need an extra thousand calories of carbs in a meal, I prefer a crisp, thin crust pizza. As I mentioned in a post above, I can eat an extra slice that way.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
No, I haven't. Not sure, but I think NY style isn't my style of pizza. My understanding is that NY pizza only has a few things on it, albeit, done perfectly. I like a meat eater combo type of pizza. Lotsa' meat and vegetables make it a complete meal for me. And now that I don't need an extra thousand calories of carbs in a meal, I prefer a crisp, thin crust pizza. As I mentioned in a post above, I can eat an extra slice that way.

One could argue that NY Style--ie getting a regular slice--is just cheese, sauce and dough.

tyler

Steelhead
I saw that Northlake Tavern has closed it's doors. That's sad. Was a favorite of mine, fantastic pie.

Bummed about Northlake closing - was a unique and delicious pie! Was in there shortly after they made the announcement that they were closing. It was mobbed! While waiting for a take-and-bake at the bar another guy was picking up a stack to take home. He was like "one for tonight and I'm gonna vacuum seal and freeze the others!"

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
where are some good dough recipes? in the Cooking section of the Forum?
I need a good dough recipe to start.

thanks-dp

There is a lazy man’s solution too: buy pizza dough.

Blasphemous but the Essential Baking Company actually sells a really solid frozen dough ball I often use. Throw it on the counter to thaw for 4-5 hours and you’re good to go. Stretches great, 90% of the time the moisture content is great, the texture is solid. I think both pizzas I posted earlier were made with this dough.

DBC59D82-B1CC-4679-A333-53EDBC1356EE.jpeg

This one definitely was (from a frozen dough ball).

FC11C123-7812-4C8C-99AA-8D7FB7116D14.jpeg

One could argue that NY Style--ie getting a regular slice--is just cheese, sauce and dough.

Yessir. Maybe pepperoni :)

If you have a solid place that makes NY style pizza close by, get a cheese and if it’s available as a topping, add some Calabrian peppers to it. One of my favorites.