A little late to the party but I’ve been stoked on these flies
they just get down to work
does anybody have a good source for the hooks and slotted beads
my local fly shop is limited in selection
so I ordered some Hanáks on Amazon

is there better options?
thanks
cheers

Billy mentioned this guy. I just placed a decent order with him that showed up while I was out fishing. All looks good.
Half prices local fly shops generally.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Perdigon = pellet.

I can't bring myself to fish a pellet, so I always add a little bit of something.

Duracell Jig has been spectacular lately. I think this works cause it's basically an @Tom Butler Hare's Ear type fly.
View attachment 69163View attachment 69164View attachment 69165
View attachment 69167

This Spanish Bullet soft hackle is a favorite of mine. Should have tried it today, but the Duracell works so good this time of year. This Spanish Bullet excels in the fall.
View attachment 69168View attachment 69169
View attachment 69170
Those look like deadly ties. I don't know where I picked up that template, but it works. Two key elements for me, a bead and a soft hackle. I figured that was enough, but a partridge and orange with bead isn't very good for me. And I still have not had much luck with a beadhead PT this spring. Just seems to be the correct amount of tailing, body fullness, movement of the hackle, and of course the trout bead, to make it work.
20230614_bhgrhe.jpg

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Those look like deadly ties. I don't know where I picked up that template, but it works. Two key elements for me, a bead and a soft hackle. I figured that was enough, but a partridge and orange with bead isn't very good for me. And I still have not had much luck with a beadhead PT this spring. Just seems to be the correct amount of tailing, body fullness, movement of the hackle, and of course the trout bead, to make it work.
View attachment 69186
Tom, I really envy how much you get to fish. Not from an actual “fishing” perspective but when you get to fish this much you really get to problem solve, and not just guess. It’s really great to watch.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Tom, I really envy how much you get to fish. Not from an actual “fishing” perspective but when you get to fish this much you really get to problem solve, and not just guess. It’s really great to watch.
Thank you. I've always loved to fish. I was told in order to stay sober I had to find a suitable substitute. Fishing gives me a great way to keep my mind occupied, body working, and spiritually fulfilled enjoying nature. Maybe it's the teacher in me, but I like to share what I learn. I appreciate that so many put up with it.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
As kids we dropped rolly pollys in the creek and saw trout eat them. Next day we had our fly rods in hand, with a split shot crimped to a hook at dapping length leaders end, probably 8# maxima. Early match the hatch. I think your on the right track.
The "pellet" thought is interesting, and your rolly pollies; aka pill bug-woodlice-terrestrial crustaceans) split shot on a hook is a super cool observation!

View attachment 69186
Yes!
Tom, I'm guessing the fibrous, bulkier body traps a small amount of air (that may even release an attention getting bubble or two) and creates a small amount of drag that might slightly slow the sink rate.
I think (Tenkara) "tactical nymphing" (& ESN?) folks like the sparse-lightly dressed, sleek-low profile, UV resin-coated Perdigon style fly because they sink quickly to get deeper in short drifts.
I think that fish like the buggy-looking body & soft hackle because it looks like food, and the bead gets it to them in longer drifts or somewhat slower-shallower water.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Sorry to have derailed the thread, I think I went here!
Probably because I didn't have a useful suggestion.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Sorry to have derailed the thread, I think I went here!
Probably because I didn't have a useful suggestion.

But Tom, your soulful tie has a brass bead for the bling 🪩 of mylar and a red thread hotspot 🔥 collar. The best of both worlds 🌎 🌍 !

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
But Tom, your soulful tie has a brass bead for the bling 🪩 of mylar and a red thread hotspot 🔥 collar. The best of both worlds 🌎 🌍 !
I'll tie and fish whatever I think will catch a fish. The quest being to find things I can tie onto the end of the boys lines and be in business.