Perdigons

MT406

Steelhead
What’s your favorite Perdigon pattern? Looking to fie up a few different patterns.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Used to be quilldigons, but a friend of a friend back east got us all talking over the winter and now a few of us are experimenting with the concept that the materials on perdo are often irrelevant and you don't need anything more than a bead.

So fat the theory seems to be holding. But I still like tying quilldigons more.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Used to be quilldigons, but a friend of a friend back east got us all talking over the winter and now a few of us are experimenting with the concept that the materials on perdo are often irrelevant and you don't need anything more than a bead.

So fat the theory seems to be holding. But I still like tying quilldigons more.
Finally, it's catching on.. I've been saying this for a while that they are just trout beads.
Screenshot_20221212_150244_YouTube.jpg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Finally, it's catching on.. I've been saying this for a while that they are just trout beads.
Pretty much.

His claim is that if half the fly is bead, you can skip the rest of the fly.

Not quite as dirty as worms or mops were when they hit the waters, but they do save on toothpicks...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Oh, sure. And I suppose you’ll have us believe that strike indicateurs are bobbers, FIPS lines are silly outside of competition, level Maxima is a perfectly fine leader for many applications.

A. What's a FIPS line? Sounds dumb.
B. Why'd you spell indicators all weird?
C. Fuck I love Maxima, but for salt and swinging and bass. NOT for treason nymphing (AKA euro nymphing). I use indicators and real leaders like a God damn American...

rotato

Steelhead
A little late to the party but I’ve been stoked on these flies
they just get down to work
does anybody have a good source for the hooks and slotted beads
my local fly shop is limited in selection
so I ordered some Hanáks on Amazon

is there better options?
thanks
cheers

Reactions: Zak

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
... and now a few of us are experimenting with the concept that the materials on perdo are often irrelevant and you don't need anything more than a bead.
As kids we dropped rolly pollys in the creek and saw trout eat them. Next day we had our fly rods in hand, with a split shot crimped to a hook at dapping length leaders end, probably 8# maxima. Early match the hatch. I think your on the right track.

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Perdigon…isn’t that where bad people go when they die?…asking for a friend…

Reactions: Zak

tkww

Steelhead
I would focus on color schemes (light/reflective, dark/drab, specific color or whatever); contrast or lack thereof between bead and body (most perdigons use a bright bead it seems); hot spot or not; and a range of weights for any given pattern.

The actual specifics don't matter, which is why there's a million variations with each person swearing a different one is their favorite. Just pick a few versions and weight/size them so you'll have options to match the flow and depth.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

is there better options?
thanks
cheers
First, "they just get down to work" is a pretty witty pun!

Second, someone one on this site recommended Risen for hooks and slotted beads and I bought some. Nice quality and price:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Only partly bad people and everyone unfortunate enough to be born more than 2023 years ago.
I may be confusing it with the movie Road To Perdigon where an Irish gangster goes to the dark side in pursuing ESN….it came out years after Steve McQueen’s Spanish Bulliit movie

Divad

Whitefish

is there better options?
thanks
cheers
Check out Blue Wing Olive for tungsten. Incredibly cost effective and a fairly wide range of colors. If you order from their website I think “SPRING2023” gets you 10%, or they’re on Amazon.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Perdigon = pellet.

I can't bring myself to fish a pellet, so I always add a little bit of something.

Duracell Jig has been spectacular lately. I think this works cause it's basically an @Tom Butler Hare's Ear type fly.
fotor_2023-6-9_18_17_50 - edit 1.jpgfotor_2023-6-9_18_16_22 - edit 1.jpg20230616_121632.jpg
20230616_135151.jpg

This Spanish Bullet soft hackle is a favorite of mine. Should have tried it today, but the Duracell works so good this time of year. This Spanish Bullet excels in the fall.
DSC_0308 - edit 1 (1).jpgDSC_0309 - edit 1 (1).jpg
DSC_0310 - edit 1 (1).jpg