Other Hobbies?

Bagman

Steelhead
At the risk of derailing this surfing thread (šŸ˜‰) my wife and I have developed a problematic hobby of wine collecting. Retirement has supercharged our efforts. In many ways, itā€™s like fly fishing: you can spend an awful lot of money chasing high end stuff, you get to travel to some beautiful places to fulfill your hobby, and the more you acquire you have to find a place to store it all. I just have to do a much much better job of consuming it at a greater pace than acquisition rate. Iā€™m up to it. Any other winos?
I love wine but it messes up my sinuses so bad that it takes me about an hour to clear them before I can do anything in the morning. But then I drink cheap wine, and my travel is up the hill to Wally World.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
So besides our obvious ā€œhobbyā€ of fishing (Iā€™d argue itā€™s more than a hobby), does anyone else have other hobbies? Guns, Classic Cars, Woodworking, Forging? You know, other bank account depleting stuff!

For me, one of my biggest hobbies is collecting knives. Mainly Chris Reeve Knives out of Boise, ID. I have a ā€œfewā€ to say the least but this is one that blends two hobbies. Chris Reeve Large Regular Pheasant Tail.
I think when I get back to Washington, I am going to go back to my 20s. I am going buy a Ford muscle car and restore it.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
the first pic is of the Lane, back in the winter of 63/64 a big swell hit the Lane the biggest I have ever surfed. I dropped into a 20+ foot wave at second reef, back then there was no stairs at Cowells and there was a bath just down from where the stairs are now. My surfing buddies were not ready to try a wave as big as this swell was. When I dropped into the wave I could see it was lined up just perfect and I made it through Indicators into Cowells, and set down on my board and headed towards the bath rooms where surfers had cut stairs into the cliff. my surfing buddies drove my woodie from the Lane to the bathrooms at Cowells, and picked me up. Not only my biggest wave but my longest ride as well. January no wetsuit no leash. The day before was so big even Golden had to paddle out from Cowells in his canoe, just to make it outside. Back then that rock in the cove was as high as the cliff. No pics just the memories of a old man, but Im still in contact with the two buddies that drove around and picked me up that day. Oh ya the last pic is called midtown.
Golden and his canoe..yea, you're OG.
D fin boards 35# boards, wetsuit vest the only protection from the cold, Birdwell trunks, aching bumps from knee paddling, and a strictly skill based based heriarchy...cause if a kook caused a better surfer to swim from a sloppy drop in, dinging his board on the cliffs and ending his session from the freezing swim, there would likely be consequences.

These days I tool around on this 10'6 17# custom epoxy speedster from Tim Stamps...not only connects sections with ease, makes the beach hike whole lot easier...and once in a while my 63' Wardy..when the hike is shorter..lolIMG_20211217_083223.jpgIMG_20211217_080721475.jpg

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I tell people I am a "generalist", I do a lot of different things (probably not great at any of them - but I have fun and am thankful).

Generally anything outdoors (hunt, fish, explore, sightseeing, etc)
Play Farm for fun and keeping active
Baking pies using Grandma's crust recipe
Enjoy family and friends
Taking suggestions and trying things

IMG_20220527_165305090.jpg

Oh and watching and participating in the political process, actively going to meetings, fighting destruction and submitting letters and giving verbal testimony.

Screenshot_20220630-174408.png

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I tell people I am a "generalist", I do a lot of different things (probably not great at any of them - but I have fun and am thankful).

Generally anything outdoors (hunt, fish, explore, sightseeing, etc)
Play Farm for fun and keeping active
Baking pies using Grandma's crust recipe
Enjoy family and friends
Taking suggestions and trying things

View attachment 30895

Oh and watching and participating in the political process, actively going to meetings, fighting destruction and submitting letters and giving verbal testimony.

View attachment 30896

Good lookin pie!!! Care to share Grandma's recipe?

cheers

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Love that Sunbeam, that's a real collector's car..
It's actually an MG. About the same vintage. This is less powerful than a tiger, more similar to the Alpine, but it has better balance and is more nimble in corners than either.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Found this when looking for a roadster when I first retired in 2012, was looking at TR4 & 6ā€™s, Datsun roadsters, similar cars as I had several back in my youth. Never even considered a Miata until this one popped up locally; 64K adult owned miles, professionally installed supercharger by the guy who developed them for Miatas. Put some 15ā€ wheels and sticky tires on it and adjustable shocks, heavier springs and sway bars. What a transformation. Iā€™m 50 miles from miles of great roads in the Sierras and itā€™s a been fun teaching my grandsons how to drive a stick, trailing braking, heel/toe and other tricks. They both agree itā€™s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Attachments

• D6CE723B-2D2C-4C70-A26B-39E060E12D19.jpeg
    D6CE723B-2D2C-4C70-A26B-39E060E12D19.jpeg
    654.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 9F04625E-63DC-4A46-B57D-AE1776996B4A.jpeg
    9F04625E-63DC-4A46-B57D-AE1776996B4A.jpeg
    678.5 KB · Views: 4
  • A33211D0-3915-45BC-9DCF-44BBFB0B3BCC.jpeg
    A33211D0-3915-45BC-9DCF-44BBFB0B3BCC.jpeg
    707.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 42790D95-784D-465A-BF0F-E2C274FA2F6A.jpeg
    42790D95-784D-465A-BF0F-E2C274FA2F6A.jpeg
    955.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 422C4EFB-2ABC-450B-B233-094E4645B22D.jpeg
    422C4EFB-2ABC-450B-B233-094E4645B22D.jpeg
    863.8 KB · Views: 4

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Found this when looking for a roadster when I first retired in 2012, was looking at TR4 & 6ā€™s, Datsun roadsters, similar cars as I had several back in my youth. Never even considered a Miata until this one popped up locally; 64K adult owned miles, professionally installed supercharger by the guy who developed them for Miatas. Put some 15ā€ wheels and sticky tires on it and adjustable shocks, heavier springs and sway bars. What a transformation. Iā€™m 50 miles from miles of great roads in the Sierras and itā€™s a been fun teaching my grandsons how to drive a stick, trailing braking, heel/toe and other tricks. They both agree itā€™s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Sweet! I've driven a first gen and a later one. They are fun.

Bagman

Steelhead
It's actually an MG. About the same vintage. This is less powerful than a tiger, more similar to the Alpine, but it has better balance and is more nimble in corners than either.
Had a MkII Sprite, Austin Healyā€˜s answer to the MG Midget, because it didnā€™t have wire wheels it was classified as a compact, not a sport car. Saved a lot on insurance. it was just before they put roll up windows in them the side curtains rattled so hard we use to put rags between them to quoted them up.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
So, this might be very similar to others recipe, but the addition of the butter flavored Crisco and secret ingredient (vinegar)... Seem to be the ticket... If you try it and like please let me know.

Cheers

(Ps... This grandma (recipe) and grandpa came from Kansas)

View attachment 31100

Ahh, looks very good and very familiar, though we don't use butter flavored Crisco, but add butter with the Crisco. Thanks for answering.

cheers

Itchy Dog

Steelhead
Besides fly fishing, which I do only sporadically anymore, I like to ride bikes. Mainly mountain bikes. My wife has no hobbies and we needed something to do together so a few months ago she got an old ladies style ebike so we could ride together. Well, itā€™s not much fun riding on gravel paths on a full squish mountain bike (and I couldnā€™t keep up with her) so I recently bought a cruiser style ebike for casual riding with the missus. I also like to hike. I used to hunt quite a bit but donā€™t do that any more. The many elk that regularly frequent my property have me thinking about nocking a broadhead and harvesting some clover-fed back straps, but apparently hunting is frowned upon within the city limits. Iā€™m a guitar dabbler who has never stuck with it diligently enough to be very good, but I like knowing I have a couple nice guitars to play when the mood strikes me. I practiced and taught martial arts for nearly 25 years but retired from that a few years ago. Thought about taking up golf but I hate the game. I also donā€™t do CrossFit but if I did Iā€™d tell you about it šŸ˜œ