Orvis Ultralight Wading Boots in the salt?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Have you ever tried any of the tropical salt sneaker designs for up here?

Edit: Just looked at the latest salt sneaker from Simms and it's actually listed as heavier than the FreeSalt boot. Looking at the two it's hard to see how that could be though.

I tried some Simms flats boots years ago. Even with a size 14, they were super narrow and didn’t fit well with my stocking foot waders, so I returned them before ever wearing them in the beach.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Quick update for those that asked for one.
I’ve been wearing the Orvis Lightweight boots for about three months now, all with saltwater use. They still look relatively new. So far, so good. Super comfortable and they seem a bit wider then the Simms.
I’ve been fishing on a bunch of barnacles and oysters covered beaches and really no signs of wear yet. I think the lace loops will hold up a bit better then the Simms, but I’d imagine over time the salt will eventually do them in like it does nearly everything else.
I’d definitely buy them again. I just need to add some Kold Kutters to these now.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
Mine are coming up to two years, with this summer being my only salt boot. Easily a couple dozen trips with some long walks. Nearly all my heavy walking boots separate at the sole and these have yet to, no issues with them.

Glad to hear yours are still holding true too @Stonedfish. Just wish they didn’t bump price by $30.

Divad

Whitefish
Well my pair ripped at the top toe-box mesh a few trips ago. Sort of a downside of that material placement for barnacle boulder hoping. Decided to buy another pair but I’m keeping the ripped pair going with some black 5200. They’re going to be my dedicated barnacle boots.

3M 5200 is wicked stuff, no signs of pulling up after multiple trips. It bridged the rip without issue, smeared it on the other toe-box because symmetry.

796A48E7-3947-44FF-AF9C-DA031BB9FC85.jpeg

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have been using them since 2020, I have no complaints about how they have handled the salt. Only maintenance has been a freshwater rinse. I am constantly swapping laces out though

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Looks like Orvis just introduced a lightweight version of their Pro boots.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
I really wish they'd reinforce that toe box. With that said my repair job has been going for 4+ months and shows no sign of lifting or separation. A little over 3 years so far with a lot of usage including many miles hiked in the woods and on the beach.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Those soles are by far the best grip I've ever had from a boot in Puget Sound. They are damn nice in the boat as well. I dunno if the Michelin rubber thing is a gimmick or what, but I've never used a better boot for gripping seaweed covered rocks and such nonsense in the sound.

I'm at about a year and a half on a pair of the Pro Boots with the BOA system, after rusting out a pair with standard laces after not rinsing them for a couple years, and have nothing but good to say. I don't do much hiking in them or anything as I'm almost always wearing them in the boat, but I'm not kind to them. I've not rinsed them once...they get thrown onto the floor in the backseat of my truck and live there when I'm not using them. Dug them out last week after an extended absence from the water and there was not a spec of corrosion to be found and the BOA system worked as if it was brand new. I'm a big fan.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Divad

Whitefish
Makes sense the voids are smaller on the Michelin giving a larger contact patch at the trade off of not shedding mud/dirt etc as easy when hiking like the Vibrams. I think the Michelin is a little softer too. It’s all a trading game.

I’m waiting for the walnut shell rubber to make its round in the fishing shoe industry.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Just my opinion of course, but having worn felt soles in the sound for many years I would take these soles over felt any day. Ten times more so on the deck of a boat. I've seen so many people nearly go for a swim wearing felt on my boats lol.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Just my opinion of course, but having worn felt soles in the sound for many years I would take these soles over felt any day. Ten times more so on the deck of a boat. I've seen so many people nearly go for a swim wearing felt on my boats lol.

I rarely get to fish from a boat. If I did often, It would probably be a good idea to invest in a pair.