Orvis Ultralight Wading Boots in the salt?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone using these in the salt?
If so, just curious how they are holding up.
Also sizing wise, if you’ve worn say Simms in the past, were these similar size wise?
I’ve heard good things about these boots, especially the Michelin soles.

My Simms Flyweight boots are going fast. I like how light they are but the lace loops are tearing out which has been mentioned by others as an issue with these when used in the salt.
I’ve have another pair of the flyweights on order, but like everything these days size 14’s seem hard to come by.

Any input on the Orvis boots would be appreciated. Not really interested in the Simms FreeSalt boots.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have been eying those too. I LOVED my Flyweights but they shit the bed super fast in the salt. I’ve switched to these. As expected they are holding up amazingly well to salt. Much heavier though unfortunately.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not what I want to hear about the Flyweights! Can't speak to the Orvis boots, but the Northern Guide Caddis ultralightweight boots or something similar might serve as reasonable stopgap or at least extent the life of current and future boots. I got a pair at Outdoor Emporium about 4 years ago and still use them in a couple of applications sometimes - sand/gravel summer salmon beaches and walk/hike in lakes that I'll be float tubing. I would never wear them anywhere in fresh or salt with any large or slippery rocks without putting in a bunch of studs, which I've never done.

The uppers look and feel like paper mache (lightweight!) and I did have one insole separate about two years in that was easily repairable with shoe goo and is still going strong. The metal lace loops are still in great shape however.

They have gone up a ton in price like most things, but looks like you can still find them some places for less than $100 and there are some similar looking Caddis boots online for under $80.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Just a quick update.
I ordered the Orvis boots. Hopefully I get them before the MA 9 opener.

In regards to the Simms Flyweights, I stopped by the local cobbler today. Only the top lace loops have torn out on mine.
He is going to add some new loops. I figured for less then $40.00 I'll keep them as a back-up if anything or try and squeeze another year out of them.
Cheaper then new boots and size 14 in the Simms seem to be very hard to get right now as I've had a pair on order for awhile now.
SF

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I have been eying those too. I LOVED my Flyweights but they shit the bed super fast in the salt. I’ve switched to these. As expected they are holding up amazingly well to salt. Much heavier though unfortunately.

Wish they came one size bigger.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I’ve heard good things about these boots, especially the Michelin soles.
They look like nice boots. But, they advertise them as EVA Vibram soles. Found a boot in Europe with Michelin soles, sounds like the truck tires I bought 2 years ago. What boots in the US have them???

Divad

Whitefish
I own a pair and have beaten them pretty hard over the last year and a half. Few salt trips, always rinse after, lots of freshwater and many hiking miles. Material does hold some smell.

But wow are they still holding up. So comfy too. Haven’t had to marine seal them yet compared to my freestones.

CA4AFB3B-C47A-411E-BDCB-8880778E047B.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
They look like nice boots. But, they advertise them as EVA Vibram soles. Found a boot in Europe with Michelin soles, sounds like the truck tires I bought 2 years ago. What boots in the US have them???
The Pro's have the Michelin soles, UL's have Vibram. The Michelin rubber is waaaay better than any Vibram pattern I've ever used. But the Pro's are a heavier boot, so you're not getting that lighter weight which could make a difference at the end of a long day.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Yep, was looking at both and was thinking the lightweights had the Michelin soles.
No big deal. I’ll Kold Kutter them up and see how they last with extensive salt use.
The light weight is the most important feature to me.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Got the Orvis Ultralight boots today.
Seem like a nice pair of boots. Good fit and nice and light, which is what I was looking for.
Laces were a bit too short in my opinion but I’ve already remedied that.
Will be interesting to see how they hold up with saltwater use.
Beta test in barnacles tomorrow morning.
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So did you get the boots or the sleek looking tennis shoe type boots? Pro Approach?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Look forward to your follow up after some time. I too hoping to get some decent salt shoes. My simms guide lightweights hardware is pitted aqua in color and eroding quickly. Eyelets bending (soon to break I’m sure). Bought simms flyweights but after reports I think I’ll stay wet wading with those for fresh warm waters or warm temps. Really like to get some multi SW/fresh water lightweight packabke waders too and it’s Patagonia vs Orvis at this point.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Just a quick update on the Simms Flyweights. Three of the four top lace loops had broken. I had the top loops replaced at a cobbler and got them back yesterday.
I’m sure others will eventually break, but the top loops seem to take the most abuse when tightening the laces.
If I get another six months to a year out of them I’ll be happy.
SF

CD53FAFE-AD66-4D39-8062-DE40A07E5072.jpeg

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
That's disappointing. I recently bought a pair because:
a) They were light and comfortable.
b) They looked like they would hold up fairly well in the salt.
And despite the fact that they were:
c) Rather spendy.

I guess I'll just continue to use my not-quite-dead-yet Korkers as long as possible and rinse the heck out of the Simms every trip. I'm already very diligent with my post beach gear cleaning.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Shoe Mart or similar, find a pair of synthetic leather high top basketball shoes for cheap that fit with the socks you'll be wearing...waded many a tropical reef like that..lighter than wading boots and more supportive

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've had a pair of the Pros for about 3 years. I generally only wear them in the boat. Launching/retrieving, hopping out on a beach for a break etc. I have had them on a handful of beach fishing trips as well.

I absolutely never rinse them, so the eyelets have basically fallen apart at this point. Can't blame that on the boot, but my lack of interest in maintaining them.

They are super comfy, but what I love most about them is with the Michelin rubber soles they are the grippiest boot I've ever worn on the beach. Huge fan of that and will be buying another pair this summer.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
@Stonedfish were you not interested in the FreeSalt due to weight or what?

Correct.
I had a pair of Freestones. Just wasn’t a fan of them due to the weight and Herman Munster feel.
With my past partially torn ACL and half my meniscus gone, I’m was looking for as light of boot as possible. The lighter boots are especially nice for longer beach hikes.
SF

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Correct.
I had a pair of Freestones. Just wasn’t a fan of them due to the weight and Herman Munster feel.
With my past partially torn ACL and half my meniscus gone, I’m was looking for as light of boot as possible. The lighter boots are especially nice for longer beach hikes.
SF
Have you ever tried any of the tropical salt sneaker designs for up here?

Edit: Just looked at the latest salt sneaker from Simms and it's actually listed as heavier than the FreeSalt boot. Looking at the two it's hard to see how that could be though.