OMJ - Yakima trip (11/10 to 11/12)

flybill

Life of the Party
Will do this separate from the original thread so we can lock this down! I know its quick and will be November, but I have some time off and the Yakima should be fishing well!

So I propose meeting over there on 11/3, Friday and camping for a few nights at Uptanum. Float or bank it, and cook together and hang around the campsite in the evening with cigars and whisk(e)y! There will be some Jim Beam to toast Jim. I used to give him a 375ml bottle when I would see him, not all of the time, but frequently!

This is just casual, bring your own food, I'll have plenty of bourbon and scotch. Beer too!

I have a Kelty Sun Shade, so we can have a common cook area and for coffee in the AM. I have a small Weber grill, depending on the group size another BBQ or two would be nice.

Bring your chair, some firewood and we'll have a good time after fishing throughout the day. Head over for the day, or stay a few days. Basically Friday through Sunday! Keep it simple and celebrate our old, grumpy friend! Share a few stories! Cheer's! Let's do it!

Let me know if you're "In" and when you would plan on coming over. I'll plan on leaving Redmond Friday morning and staying through Sunday.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    794.2 KB · Views: 59

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
All fires at this event should be started using a gazetteer or map….. minus any of OMJ’s markings or cliff notes of course. 😉
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Steve Worley reported today the river is running about 400 cfs, "historically low". With really cold nights it won't take a lot to quickly lower the river temperature. Dress warm on your outing.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The early weather report is rain next Thursday then dry and cloudy for Fri > Sat > Sun. Lows in mid 30’s with high of low 50’s.
Always subject to change (It’s Washington 😆)

flybill

Life of the Party
At this point, sounds like I'm going solo! Let's see some "I'm in"! Let's do it!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds fun. If didn't live 5 hrs away, had decent trout gear, waders that didn't leak, a half assed idea of how to fish the Yak, and no other pressing obligations, I'd be all over this.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Steve Worley reported today the river is running about 400 cfs, "historically low". With really cold nights it won't take a lot to quickly lower the river temperature. Dress warm on your outing.
Whoa! That must be near Cle Elum; about twice that at Umtanum, but even so - that's low!

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I’m seriously considering this, but going to look at the weather before making plans. I might be over at Umptanum this weekend, swing some streamers.

RCF

Life of the Party
We can have a go/no go based on weather and pass conditions, but I'm most likely going to be there. I have the time available and want to fish.
At least there will be antifreeze and a nice warm fire. Just need a few people to exchange fishing stories where the fish get bigger and wilder by the hour.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Family/young kids, work, etc. I won't have time for this kind of thing for another 15 years. Where are all the retired folks?

RCF

Life of the Party
Family/young kids, work, etc. I won't have time for this kind of thing for another 15 years. Where are all the retired folks?
We are retired and are busy doing things as we can. Between medical issues, family commitments, and life we are not as available for short notice events, plus other long-term fishing trip commitments make us not as a available as one would think.

Being retired does not mean couch potato. Just sayin '

flybill

Life of the Party
No worries at all! Worst case I head over and fish for a day or two.

OMJ and I did many a day trip, once we crossed the pass in a snow storm, and it closed after we got over. Headed to the Yakima and it was blowing hard, 20 mph so we headed to Rocky Ford, Lenore, Lenice and even the overlook for Dry Falls. Stevens was closed too... We were listening to the radio to see if either pass was open. We had to stop for food and gas as we ended up doing almost 450 miles that day. Chatting all the way as Jim navigated when necessary and told me many of his fishing stories.

We did try to fish at most of the places, and maybe wet a line for 2 hours total.. Loved the trip and time with him! One of many trips, but definitely the most miles covered in one day!

Kado

Steelhead
I'm going to try and get out there to at least fish Friday and join in on exchanging BS and solving the world's problems at the campfire that night. I'll probably have to leave late that night or really early the next morning depending on what time my daughter needs me Saturday for an event I promised I'd help with. I can't promise this, but if I can get there, I'll try and bring a couple bamboo rods you can give a try on the water with. You're welcome to laugh. OMJ would just say..."Why?" : )

flybill

Life of the Party
I'll bring a bamboo rod or two! And yes, Jim would look at us with a "why" look on his face! Hope you can make it, but I get that you and others have committments that I don't have to worry about!