Official 2024 NFL Season Discussion

I'll note from the outset that the Steelers are on my list of "do not like" teams that I find it hard to ever want to see good things happen to.

That said, it's not a bad move at all by the Steelers. One year rental for cheap, Russ is going to be better than Pickett was, no draft/player capital given up, salary cap not affected at all. RW is absolutely not top tier any more, but he's likely to be lots better than what the other "don't have a franchise QB" teams are putting on the field. And Tomlin is no dummy and doesn't seem to be an ego freak like Payton. So perhaps he uses Russ in a smart way. And perhaps Russ realizes that trying to be big-time with a private office, etc isn't going to fly, especially at this point in his career. If both of those things happen.... could be solid.

That said, the fact that it's one year gives as many risks as advantages. If he plays awful, no problem. Move on. But if he plays great, they are going to be looking at a big bill because you KNOW Russ will be on the phone with any team who will give him one last big contract (and someone probably will). Unlike a rookie from the draft, there's no way to get multiple cheap years from the current RW situation. So it's kinda this year or nothing.
Couple of points to make here:
1 Had a Steelers fan at work who was irritated whenever I called them the Pissburg Squeelers.

2 Russ had a decent year passing, statistically.

3 He doesn't need a big contract as Denver is on the hook for his salary for the next two years to the tune of nearly 40 mil/year which is why he can sign a "team-friendly" contract while simultaneously delivering a big "fuck-you" to the Broncos.😉

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Its a one year rental at a bargain basement price…I’m glad the Raiders didn’t bite on this deal…
Not so sure about that , Wilson would have preferred going to the Raiders, Possibly wanting to further stick it to the Broncos twice a year .😄

Who at QB do the Raiders have that may , but doubtful be better than Wilson ? The Raiders haven’t been able to get the QB right since Gannon . 😳 A one year deal for just over a million, Steelers saw the wisdom , but as usual the Raiders can’t seem to get out of their own way .

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I know NFL teams have gobs of money to throw around, but does it seem to anyone else like maybe a few of these players are grossly overpaid? Kinda' like major corporation CEOs being paid a hundred million a year while they're driving the company into the red.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
3 He doesn't need a big contract as Denver is on the hook for his salary for the next two years to the tune of nearly 40 mil/year which is why he can sign a "team-friendly" contract while simultaneously delivering a big "fuck-you" to the Broncos
The Broncos are only on the hook for his salary this season. They would have been on the hook for his 2025 salary if they hadn't cut him before March 13th. The remaining cap hit (~$80M) is what is spread out over the next two years. Broncos don't owe him anything directly in 2025.

The confusion may stem from the fact that cap hits have to account for prorated signing bonuses etc. And if a player is cut, the remaining prorated money gets accelerated to all count on the cap for the season that the player was cut. The only tool teams have is to designate the player as a "post June 1" cut which allows the team to spread the cap hit over two seasons (which is what the Broncos have done). Plus, with RW's salary being ~$40M and the cap hit being ~$80M over two years, it's easy to think he's getting paid by them for two years.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My beloved Patsies are flush with cash to spend in free agency. What this really means is that they do not have very many good players. Good players make more money.
It also means that they could win free agency. Winning free agency is among the worst possible things an NFL team can do. Free agency champions are rarely victorious on the field the following year.
Not ideal.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I know NFL teams have gobs of money to throw around, but does it seem to anyone else like maybe a few of these players are grossly overpaid? Kinda' like major corporation CEOs being paid a hundred million a year while they're driving the company into the red.
The players get what the market will bear.
CEO's are a bit of a different story IMO.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not so sure about that , Wilson would have preferred going to the Raiders, Possibly wanting to further stick it to the Broncos twice a year .😄

Who at QB do the Raiders have that may , but doubtful be better than Wilson ? The Raiders haven’t been able to get the QB right since Gannon . 😳 A one year deal for just over a million, Steelers saw the wisdom , but as usual the Raiders can’t seem to get out of their own way .
They will be getting a qb in the draft…

And as far as free agency deals so far, the Raiders have hit a home run with getting Wilkins from the Dolphins…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

By the way, two different Raider qb’s beat Wilson last year…

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Drew Lock gone to the Giants. :(

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
By the way, two different Raider qb’s beat Wilson last year…
They also beat the Chiefs , but it wasn’t their QB play. Crosby totally messed up Mahomes .Yet Wilson beat Mahomes , and who won the Superbowl. On any given Sunday .

No denying the fact , Wilson is still a better QB than any the Raiders have right now . Sean Payton was never going to support or give him a real chance to succeed, pretty obvious he didn’t like Wilson . He even bailed out on Wilson , and they still had a shot at the playoffs . He’d rather pay Wilson what nearly 80 million over two years to get rid of him .