Official 2024 NFL Season Discussion

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
niners I better shape than I thought...in fact, in really good shape..uh, Mr. Jones, calling Mr. Jones.
"The 49ers rank last in the NFL in 2023 cap expenditures with $201,125,002 despite one of the largest adjusted salary caps. Multiple contracts of players who are among the highest paid at their respective positions (Christian McCaffrey, George Kittle, Fred Warner and Trent Williams) were restructured to push 2023 cap obligations into the future. For example, $18.235 million of Williams' $19.4 million 2023 base salary was converted to signing bonus to create $14.588 million of 2023 cap space. $9.476 million of cap room was picked up by converting $11.845 million of Fred Warner's 2023 base salary into signing bonus. The result is the 49ers have the most cap room to carry over to the 2024 league year with $36,395,266."
They are 285 thousand in the hole per OTC. What ever article you are on is outdated.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Math is hard in the Bay area, lack of stem courses.

Spotrac has the 9ers $7.4 million over the salary cap at present.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This is interesting site if you ever want to see info on player contracts. Some dudes have made some serious cash over their playing careers.
SF

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Don't forget that Mr. Dangeruss will be looking for a job in the NFL, too.

If I heard correctly today on the radio, a team can sign him for the league minimum of $1.1 million.
I've seen a few articles that the Steelers might be interested. Maybe sign him and have him battle Kenny Pickett for the starting job?
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
So 3 million plus over the cap for the 9ers, they restructure a deal or two,or dump a player and they will have some space...not Chris Jones space, but some space.
The big spenders on free agents are usually teams with lots of cap space, and tend to have losing records...where some players have no interest.
Washington Commanders have 90 some million in cap space, let's see if the new owners are spending it.
Miami, Chargers and Saints have issues to be resolved by Wednesday.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
If I heard correctly today on the radio, a team can sign him for the league minimum of $1.1 million.
I've seen a few articles that the Steelers might be interested. Maybe sign him and have him battle Kenny Pickett for the starting job?
SF
Tomlin wants a proven veteran QB, and Wilson wants to play as a starter.
Seems like that would be a fit...
League minimum means Russ gets about 40 million in total salary this year. No doubt any contract for him will be low vs. market value for a veteran QB, given the Donkey coin he gets even if he's on the couch.
😅

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
So 3 million plus over the cap for the 9ers, they restructure a deal or two,or dump a player and they will have some space...not Chris Jones space, but some space.
The big spenders on free agents are usually teams with lots of cap space, and tend to have losing records...where some players have no interest.
Washington Commanders have 90 some million in cap space, let's see if the new owners are spending it.
Miami, Chargers and Saints have issues to be resolved by Wednesday.

The whole cap game is interesting to watch and how they move money around based on various roster bonuses, signing bonus etc.
Voodoo economics at its finest. You can only kick the can down the road so long then the piper needs to be paid or a hard reset on your roster is likely to happen.
The guys that manage the cap certainly have a interesting job.
SF

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Yeah, it has turned into one of the most important front office jobs. At some point, the guy you restructured 2 or 3 times to generate cap space is still too expensive, so you release him and the eat the dead cap for years after he is gone.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Let's not forget to set aside money to sign your drafted players after April. The 51 player salary cap number doesn't cover this.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Getting to the cap with your top 51 by Wednesday is step one.
Some teams are 15 million away from that.
Lol
Always some cap casualties this time of year, and some guys just resign a smaller deal adter their release. The top players will be asked to restructure, most advantageous for the team in the short term.
Where will Daniel Jones wind up ?
😅

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Always some cap casualties this time of year, and some guys just resign a smaller deal adter their release.

😅

What crazy about that, is you re-sign them to a smaller deal but still have a dead money cap hit on your books from their previous deal.
Did I mention voodoo economics? :ROFLMAO: I could see the Hawks doing that with Dissly if Fant and Parkinson leave.
SF

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Evidently there is some interest by other teams in Parkinson, so yeah...Dissly could be a re-signed type of player for sure.
Not sure about Fant, but guys like him can stay in the league a long time, soild but not a star type salary.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hoping Joe Burrow stays healthy next year, my vote for best pure passer in the league.
Expect the Lions to be back with a vengence, one fiery dude for a head coach
And the boy genius in Miami always entertaining...like listening to a nerd explain string theory
and there be dat which never stops giving
1709860172730.png

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
i (1).jpeg
Nice to see the LA RAMS sign right guard Kevin Dotson to a 3 year deal. He and rookie left guard Steve Avila did much to reignite the RAM rushing attack.

For those who study off-season film, here is a sample of his work in the trenches during 2023.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
With Madubuike getting the tag, seeing some talk about Patrick Queen heading to the Seahawks...
:)