NRS announces OnWater

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
This was in my NRS newsletter this morning. https://onwaterapp.com/subscribe/nrs
It's an app that's supposed to give you lots of local information such as fly shops, launch ramps, river miles, public/private land access and boundaries etc.

Apparently available for both Android and Apple phone systems.

Islander

Life of the Party
That’s a pretty cool setup. Kind of like OnX but for fishing. Would help with planning trips here in Wyoming as the landownership thing here is really goofy. Some areas they own rights to the center of the river or stream, some the edge, some the high water mark. Biggest drawback for me would be most places I fish don’t have cell service.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
That’s a pretty cool setup. Kind of like OnX but for fishing. Would help with planning trips here in Wyoming as the landownership thing here is really goofy. Some areas they own rights to the center of the river or stream, some the edge, some the high water mark. Biggest drawback for me would be most places I fish don’t have cell service.
Would an InReach coupled to your phone help fix the dead zones ?

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
So $40 a year, would only work in areas of cell coverage. I didn’t notice it saying you can save usable maps for when no cell coverage?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Would an InReach coupled to your phone help fix the dead zones ?
Very doubtful. The only function a cellphone bluetoothed to an InReach really provides is a somewhat more user friendly interface to the InReach functions. It doesn't directly allow your cellphone to utiiize the Garmin iridium satellite communication system.

If you can preload the NRS app maps on to your cellphone then the cellphone could use its own GPS system outside cellphone coverage to provide your location relative to those maps.

I used to download selected Delorme maps into my cellphone for use in areas without coverage but it was a PITA and cellphone battery life is pretty shitty for such purposes.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
You can use the free 14 day trial without any credit card fyi. After downloading it is missing A LOT of waterways: all of chehalis tribs, everything in SW WA, it would be easier to state the few rivers it has. In its current state I do not think it is worth it. OnX w/ code 'meateater' gets you year long access for $24 with all land ownership data.

There is no way to get any more data other than property owners name, ie: no address. Which is huge for me in OnX as a lot of land is registered to a name/llc elsewhere.

None of the OP rivers have campsites/launches etc tagged, or pretty much any river in Washington. I mean ol' Blue isn't even tagged on the Cow.

Last edited: