Not the New Hooks but New Trout Imposing New Learning Curve

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I posted in the Fly Tying forum a question about Firehole Hooks, thinking they might be the reason I couldn’t stay connected to trout beyond the first second or two after the strike. Well, was I wrong.

After my first skunking at my favorite lake, back a few weeks ago, I tied up a batch of the same flies on my old stash of Daiichi hooks. Went back again on Thursday. My buddy who I carpooled with brought around 1/2 dozen to hand before losing the fly I gave him to eventual knot failure.

Me? I had maybe two or three hook-ups but lost them after feeling two hard head shakes or a sudden run in my direction and not taking in line quick enough. Like, WTF-over?

It seems that, every couple of years or so, some mystery strain of trout gets stocked, and they have a knack for throwing hooks. When this happens, you just have to figure out how to not just set the hook in some new way but also how to play them.

Class is now back in session, because the trout are schooling me once again.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I posted in the Fly Tying forum a question about Firehole Hooks, thinking they might be the reason I couldn’t stay connected to trout beyond the first second or two after the strike. Well, was I wrong.

After my first skunking at my favorite lake, back a few weeks ago, I tied up a batch of the same flies on my old stash of Daiichi hooks. Went back again on Thursday. My buddy who I carpooled with brought around 1/2 dozen to hand before losing the fly I gave him to eventual knot failure.

Me? I had maybe two or three hook-ups but lost them after feeling two hard head shakes or a sudden run in my direction and not taking in line quick enough. Like, WTF-over?

It seems that, every couple of years or so, some mystery strain of trout gets stocked, and they have a knack for throwing hooks. When this happens, you just have to figure out how to not just set the hook in some new way but also how to play them.

I can relate to feeling humbled.
Too fast a rod? Not enough give with spunky small fish?
Sometimes ya just get snakebit.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I understand what you're saying because I was experiencing similar results earlier. In the past I lifted more with the rod and strip set. This year that resulted in a miss or quick hookup, shakes and slack line. Now I'm using a short quick wrist flip, and just maintaining continuous but light pressure on the line with my left hand, not trying to pull the fish toward me at all for the first bit.
I've been able to see them in the clear water. It seems they go head up and a bit away at first, and lots of flashing sides for a while, then they tend to go to the tug of line a bit and go again. Then they are going down and rubbing in the bottom to get the hook out.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Too fast a rod? Not enough give with spunky small fish?
^^^^
Could be 🤔... I also like to give a controlled but deliberate 2nd hookset that has seemed to keep fish buttoned on.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter

When's the last time you went to church, Dave?

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I understand what you're saying because I was experiencing similar results earlier. In the past I lifted more with the rod and strip set. This year that resulted in a miss or quick hookup, shakes and slack line. Now I'm using a short quick wrist flip, and just maintaining continuous but light pressure on the line with my left hand, not trying to pull the fish toward me at all for the first bit.
I've been able to see them in the clear water. It seems they go head up and a bit away at first, and lots of flashing sides for a while, then they tend to go to the tug of line a bit and go again. Then they are going down and rubbing in the bottom to get the hook out.
Seriously good intel!!’

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Seriously good intel!!’
Good luck, I hope you get onto it. I think with the combo of indicator, jig hook, and the way they put their head up, they were just coming off. I got a 40 count friday in a bit over 3 hours so it's working for me now much better.

Reactions: Zak

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When's the last time you went to church, Dave?
Last time was when my cousin got married in 1991. Before that was when I was in 5h grade in Hawaii. Went to a Baptist church giving out a Honda Mini Enduro motorcycle as a prize to whoever brought in the most new parishioners. They also sponsored the world’s longest banana split. All of that ruined the idea of going to church for me for the rest of my life.

Nowadays, though I won’t go, I do defend everyone’s right to practice their own religion. I may not agree with them, but I will and do respect their right to do so.

BTW, Nature, that God created, is the humbling Church that I attend both at work and at play.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Last time was when my cousin got married in 1991. Before that was when I was in 5h grade in Hawaii. Went to a Baptist church giving out a Honda Mini Enduro motorcycle as a prize to whoever brought in the most new parishioners. They also sponsored the world’s longest banana split. All of that ruined the idea of going to church for me for the rest of my life.

Nowadays, though I won’t go, I do defend everyone’s right to practice their own religion. I may not agree with them, but I will and do respect their right to do so.

BTW, Nature, that God created, is the humbling Church that I attend both at work and at play.
You didn't win the Honda

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
You’re stripping the trout in and not trying to get them on the reel? Instant slack when you switch from strip to reel....besides, they’re not bonefish!

Reactions: Zak

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You’re stripping the trout in and not trying to get them on the reel? Instant slack when you switch from strip to reel....besides, they’re not bonefish!

The fish didn’t even let me get that far along. IOW, strike but no play. The moment I try to raise my rod tip is when I lose them. Brutal.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I had a chance to play with some technique today with this thread in mind.
1) When using the lift technique I was holding the tip waist high, and lifting arm and rod back to take up slack (indicator fishing) and a strip to set. It was working well last year it seemed. If you don't pin the line to the rod with your finger and keep tension with the tip (usually going further back with the rod) during the reach for the next strip they come off. Then your are out of position to have a successful outcome.
2) I watched a lot of Devin Olsen and George Anderson videos last year and worked on that wrist flip for ESN hooksets last year. Keeping the tip low near the water, wrist snap, no arm, then line control with off hand, works much better to get them hooked up.
3) The pods of NEW fish seem to not know how to eat?, in that they seem to suck at the tail, or just nose at it. Getting them in the tip of the beak as it were. The fish that have been in there longer tend to get hooked deeper in the top of the mouth with the jig hooks. Holdovers seem to bite down to trap it more.
Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

Bob N

Steelhead
The new fish don’t really know what food is yet so they are sampling what’s in front of them. To them a brown pellet is food.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
The new fish don’t really know what food is yet so they are sampling what’s in front of them. To them a brown pellet is food.
Brown was the color last year. I keep testing and the black keeps coming out on top this year.

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
You have to remember, they are young and fast. You are old and slow. It is nature's way.

Yesterday in a lake planted the day before, I got my ego handled a bit roughly.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend

Well after fishing a time or two with you I can see what your problem is. You don't pay attention to where your line is when your fishing. You almost lost it all on Storm lake when you were having a snack and bull shitting with me.:rolleyes::rolleyes: