New Sage fly rods

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pull off a scam Sam
Rob a bank Hank
Jack a few cars Lars

There must be 50 ways to buy the new Sage!

In all seriousness wish them success with their new flagship rod. I can’t imagine the model offerings will be bountiful with all the material and component shortages. Kinda expecting limited choices with regards to length and size. We will see 😉

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
If new gear didn't constantly come to market I'd have to take full responsibility for my shitty flyfishing skillz.

Good thing the average Sage Bro is an affluent old fart, or they'd be camping out in line at their local outlet like an iPhone addict for the latest and greatest....instead of carping about it and ordering one online from their recliner.

Last edited:

Adrian M

Steelhead
Pull off a scam Sam
Rob a bank Hank
Jack a few cars Lars

There must be 50 ways to buy the new Sage!

In all seriousness wish them success with their new flagship rod. I can’t imagine the model offerings will be bountiful with all the material and component shortages. Kinda expecting limited choices with regards to length and size. We will see 😉
Steal a catalytic converter, Herbert.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I had the Sage hookup for like 10 years and bought Winston, Burki, St Croix, Loop, Beulah, Scott, Meiser, Echo and more. Never bought one Sage in that time and tried many of them. I borrowed and fished the Sage “Death Star” for a full steelhead season trying to figure out what the hoopla was about and didn’t get it…. I simply do not like their fast action fly rods. I do not understand why people think they are the best and enjoy this fast action style. I have broom stick St Croix for flats fishing and casting in wind and that is all I can handle of that style.

I will never sell my Sage SP or DS2 for trout fishing.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I grew up a short bike ride from Sage (& Fenwick) and my first rod was a (1987) Sage. I’m fairly proud of Sage being local, especially after a factory visit, coming away impressed by the apparent pride of craftsmanship I sensed among the employees. I still have a couple, but got off the (max fast) S train twenty rears back. I’d give this a wiggle, but I’d have to sell my dedicated dry fly, nymph and streamer rods to justify a purchase. I’ll stick with the quiver I’ve assembled. “It’s not the arrow.”

Last edited:

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I like Sage’s fast action rods for streamer fishing in particular. I own the Sage One (7w), Sage Ignitor (6w), Maverick (6w &12w) and X (8w). I think they are great rods for our applications in the Sound, especially for coho where fishing with heavy clousers and wind are issues. They do lack feel IMO but are good throwing heavy stuff far with minimal backcasting even in poor conditions.

I don’t fish Sage rods often for other applications. All my river trout rods are from other manufacturers and can’t think of a Sage rod I have ever owned that was a go to for dry fly fishing or nymphing.
I also lack feel so it's a perfect combo. :) 90% of my fishing is with sinking lines or heavy flies so I get along well with stiff fly rods mostly.

Don't really get the Sage hate. They're not doing anything others aren't regarding marketing and pumping out new models and trending faster and stiffer overall.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I just need one for every reel...

We are all fortunate that they can't make the older models quit functioning like the phone company does.
Why does this make me think of warranty turn around times and added cost?:unsure::)

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I also lack feel so it's a perfect combo. :) 90% of my fishing is with sinking lines or heavy flies so I get along well with stiff fly rods mostly.

Don't really get the Sage hate. They're not doing anything others aren't regarding marketing and pumping out new models and trending faster and stiffer overall.

Ha, well may lost my feel only getting to fish dries a few times a year nowadays!

Yeah, I have no issues with Sage either. I think their rods are great for the type of fishing we both described. Personally I prefer other brands/models for other applications but I’m sure Sage makes some decent stuff for that as well.

I don’t understand why some manufacturers stop producing classics though. Like the Radian! To me that is a classic, great, all purpose rod. It does not do one thing great. It also does not do a lot of things ok. It does a lot of things really, really well while simultaneously not making the caster make a lot of adjustments. I feel they found a real sweet spot with that rod. It’s tough finding a rods like that. I have not found another that does that as well as the Radian including the Scott Centric (although it’s close IMO and that’s comparing a 6 weight to a 7 weight). I imagine the Radian would be a top seller for years to come if they still produced them. Slap a new color on that blank, call it a Radian 2 and bump the price by $100 and I’d be close to first in line to pick one up :).

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I am sure I will try one the next time I need (want?) another rod. I always try them, but have chosen other brands since the XP/Z-Axis days. I have two Z's and they are still my favorite lake / bass rods. Hey, if you got the $$ and fall in love with the new model, then go for it. Who am I to tell someone how to spend their cash.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
It's always good to have more options despite the smaller incremental advances nowadays when fly rod companies compete.

The latest and greatest may not be your jam but remember, our old favorite stick that's going to the graves with us was at one time the latest and greatest :)