New Opportunity?

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Supposedly, shad flush out of rivers quickly and don’t do much damage to the fry. At least that’s what they say on the Umpqua.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I saw them gillnetting off Seward Park a few days ago and was wondering what they were targeting.

I’m curious if they’re setting nets with varying mesh sizes. Mesh size determines what size fish is able to swim through the net, and what gets gilled…

..does anyone on here know?

1710567853104.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Well at least this will take some of the fry eating, blame pressure game off the native cutthroat….American shad, the new scapegoat.
SF

Chucker

Steelhead
I saw them gillnetting off Seward Park a few days ago and was wondering what they were targeting.

I’m curious if they’re setting nets with varying mesh sizes. Mesh size determines what size fish is able to swim through the net, and what gets gilled…

..does anyone on here know?

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Quite a few spey fishers as well as SH casters are fishing the lower Sacramento for shad every spring. I can’t abide the slimy bastards, caught more than my share of them below Bonneville as a kid. I will admit that smoked and canned they are delicious.

RCF

Life of the Party
I read shad is quite good tasting. The issue is the number of bones they have.

Tilapia was once considered trash fish but now, due to marketing, is highly recommended Is shad next?

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think it was in Mcphee’s book The Founding Fish (about American shad if you have t read it) where there was a saying that God took a porcupine and turned it inside out, and created a shad. They are bony!
Canning them removes the bones, we used to take them to a guy in NE Portland who smoked and canned them; delicious!

kmudgn

Steelhead
I have fished for Shad both in the Potomac in DC and in the Merrimack in Newbury Port MA. Shad like brightly colored streamer type flies. Shad "darts" and cone head flies produce the most success. I have caught some on orange & bright green Hornbergs as well. They run into the river in the Spring and that is the only time I have ever had success. I did not know that there was a West Coast Variety, so I don't know their habits.

I have never eaten them as the waters where I have fish do not have a reputation for cleanliness, but they are much much cleaner than they ever were a decade or two ago (especially the Potomac). I did have a friend in VA who used to smoke them like Whitefish, but again I never ate any.

JudyM

Steelhead
Shad are thick as fleas in the Willamette River below the falls in Oregon City. Come and get them after the Spring Chinook run. Bring a 5 gallon bucket and I will help you fill it by fishing off the bank.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I have fished for Shad both in the Potomac in DC and in the Merrimack in Newbury Port MA. Shad like brightly colored streamer type flies. Shad "darts" and cone head flies produce the most success. I have caught some on orange & bright green Hornbergs as well. They run into the river in the Spring and that is the only time I have ever had success. I did not know that there was a West Coast Variety, so I don't know their habits.

I have never eaten them as the waters where I have fish do not have a reputation for cleanliness, but they are much much cleaner than they ever were a decade or two ago (especially the Potomac). I did have a friend in VA who used to smoke them like Whitefish, but again I never ate any.
The shad on the West Coast are transplants from the East Coast.