New Opportunity?

Smalma

Life of the Party
Have been getting reports of American Shad becoming established in Lake Washington.

Maybe suspending a small chironomid (50 feet?). Sounds like it might be right up Ira's alley -LOL.

The new "quality fishery"?

Curt

SeaRunner

Steelhead
Have been getting reports of American Shad becoming established in Lake Washington.

Maybe suspending a small chironomid (50 feet?). Sounds like it might be right up Ira's alley -LOL.

Curt

Are you hearing of shad migrating through the lake for spawning? Or becoming full time resident?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Are you hearing of shad migrating through the lake for spawning? Or becoming full time resident?
Thanks for asking this, as I was also wondering. But then the chironomid comment made me think it must mean full time lake resident. In which case, wonder where they are spawning. Lower Cedar?

SeaRunner

Steelhead
Thanks for asking this, as I was also wondering. But then the chironomid comment made me think it must mean full time lake resident. In which case, wonder where they are spawning. Lower Cedar?

No idea. I would guess Sammamish River.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
So are they living in Lake WA? Or migrating in through the locks and passing through?

Smalma

Life of the Party
Larger sized shad are currently being caught this time of the year by the tribal "predator control" so it would appear they or at least most are full time lake residents (an unique adaption) with fish in excess of 6# captured. A chance at a state record. In addition to chironomids I'm thinking a mysid shrimp pattern might work. Anyone have a balanced mysid shrimp pattern?

In guessing that they are spawning in the Sammamish but they potentially could be spawning in the Cedar or even both tributaries.

Curt

SeaRunner

Steelhead
Larger sized shad are currently being caught this time of the year by the tribal "predator control" so it would appear they or at least most are full time lake residents (an unique adaption) with fish in excess of 6# captured. A chance at a state record. In addition to chironomids I'm thinking a mysid shrimp pattern might work. Anyone have a balanced mysid shrimp pattern?

In guessing that they are spawning in the Sammamish but they potentially could be spawning in the Cedar or even both tributaries.

Curt

Wow. Concerns for impact on the longfin smelt and kokanee (and maybe less glamorous residents like peamouth). Maybe good or bad for the cutthroat?

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Semi related: I was in my local West Seattle fly shop this past weekend, and they were talking about Stripahs moving north down in CA, predicting they'd establish up here sooner or later. Thoughts?

Reactions: Zak

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Swinging for shad in Sammamish Slough would be an experience. Caught 15 shad and one human body today!
I don't know that the shad won't mess things up, but I can think of several places where I bet the fishing would be good. Used to catch a lot of cutts and salmon back in the day.

Chucker

Steelhead
I was out on the lake today and I might have seen a shad jump. Looked much more silvery and deeper bodied than a trout, and what else could it be? Might have to go out and troll a tiny dick nite spoon around and see what hits it.

VMP

Steelhead
Curt
More shad caugh in Lake Washington. In addition to small chironomid flies, you may consider salmon fry fly patterns based on recent stomach contents from WDFW sampling, although you may incidentally catch other invasives like rock bass, northern pike and others! Yikes, well actually Shad + Pikes....Shikes!

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
If shad and pike are there now, there's likely no turning back. Every single agency that has tried to eradicate these types of invasives has failed. I really hate to think of exactly how they got there to begin with......buuuuut, I suppose one may as well fish for them anyway. I'm definitely of the opinion that we should do what we can to save these native species. But also, at what point does one raise the white flag (which sucks because it would give credence to johnny bass seed and their methods... 😬 )?