New and what made you convert?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Howdy,
Started fly fishing about 40 years ago.
I enjoy fly fishing, but never found a reason to give up gear fishing. It’s all fishing so it is all good by me.
I also never understood why some folks after they switched to fly fishing then looked down on gear fishing.
Their loss really as their are some great anglers who will share their knowledge that have never touched a fly rod.
SF

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I am one of the fly fishing purists and I prefer classic patterns using all natural materials (no foam, beads, squirmys, mops, or eggs you heathens) for trout and steelhead. I actually don't even fish, I just like talking about fly fishing and tying classic patterns every once and a while. Welcome!
Did you use to fish and then retire from it? Or do you just love the art of tying?
I appreciate your talent. But I’m 100% a heathen 🤣

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Howdy,
Started fly fishing about 40 years ago.
I enjoy fly fishing, but never found a reason to give up gear fishing. It’s all fishing so it is all good by me.
I also never understood why some folks after they switched to fly fishing then looked down on gear fishing.
Their loss really as their are some great anglers who will share their knowledge that have never touched a fly rod.
SF
I’ve been told my gear fishing knowledge gave me a different perspective on fly fishing, which so far has worked out in my favor. Im glad to know both forms.

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Fellow non convert. Grew up fishing docks at camp with a worm and hook as a child. It was a warm March morning in Manchester, VT about 25 years ago and I was 2000 miles from home, I figured how hard could fly fishing be. I strolled in to the Orvis mothership absolutely clueless about what I was looking for or needed. After a few very direct questions that I had no answer to, the gentleman behind the counter but had me set up with a two piece Trident PM10, a battenkill reel, line and something called tippet. Not sure I have advanced much since that day but I sure do enjoy getting out and trying to trick those elusive dinks. The bass addiction is real here too. I recently picked up a fishing kayak, the rigging process has begun. Welcome!
Did you know there are kayak bass fishing tournaments? I’m currently enrolled in a season long one that takes your top 5 smallmouth and top 5 largemouth. There’s about 50 of us competing this year. Super fun. You submit photos of your fish on a ketch board.

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
Forum Supporter
Did you know there are kayak bass fishing tournaments? I’m currently enrolled in a season long one that takes your top 5 smallmouth and top 5 largemouth. There’s about 50 of us competing this year. Super fun. You submit photos of your fish on a ketch board.
Appreciate the heads up. Not sure I am tournament material, but crazier things have happened.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Did you use to fish and then retire from it? Or do you just love the art of tying?
I appreciate your talent. But I’m 100% a heathen 🤣
Tongue in cheek, if I had to pick a niche within' a niche it would be classic flies and i do love the art of fly tying. I still get to tie a few flies here and there and that's about all I have time for. Bamboo has been intriguing to me lately, although I only have one bamboo rod from my great grandpa that need some repairs. I just never have a day off, I work 7 days a week/ add young kids = no fishing. It's been 6 years since I last went fly fishing, tossed some powerbait for stockers a few times with the kids but that's it. August 8th I'll be flying into ID to spend a few days then drive the family back from their extended visit with family in the Idaho falls area. I sent all my gear on the car ride so its there waiting for me. I might actually get to go fly fishing and post a real live in the flesh trip report for once! You get some shade here if you never actually "fish" hopefully I can up my street cred a bit :LOL: