New and what made you convert?

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Well, I finally gave into peer pressure, and joined this forum. I was also told by a couple people to introduce myself, so here it goes:
My name is Jess and I’m from the Olympic Peninsula, where I grew up fishing the salt for rockfish and salmon, and the rivers for salmon and steelhead (using spoons, spinners and feather jigs under cork floats) I’ve lived in a few places in the county, but settled in Eastern WA. I mostly converted to fly fishing a couple years ago, and it’s been one of the best choices I’ve ever made. I love the community for the most part and I’ve honed in my still water skills, which was a struggle for me in my spinner fishing days.

Which prompts me to ask the question: if you’re a convert, what caused you to switch to the fly fishing team? I wanted to be more effective with trout on lakes and had a feeling this would do it.

If I look/ sound familiar, I post on the FFW Facebook page and I’m on Instagram as yak_queen_509. The “yak” part referencing my love for kayak fishing.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing how this forum experience goes.
541060B2-4E4D-4A63-B97A-45F4951827A6.jpeg

Zak

Legend
Welcome aboard and thanks for the nice intro!

I converted to fly-fishing in my 20s (30 or so years ago) because I enjoyed being more actively involved in my fishing. For years, I had worked on perfecting what I called "fly lining" a live worm or grasshopper with light spinning tackle and no weight. Turned out, a fly rod was a much better tool for this and the flies worked almost as well. Though nothing beats a live grasshopper kicking around on the water's surface tension.

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Welcome aboard and thanks for the nice intro!

I converted to fly-fishing in my 20s (30 or so years ago) because I enjoyed being more actively involved in my fishing. For years, I had worked on perfecting what I called "fly lining" a live worm or grasshopper with light spinning tackle and no weight. Turned out, a fly rod was a much better tool for this and the flies worked almost as well. Though nothing beats a live grasshopper kicking around on the water's surface tension.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I bought my first fly rod and reel in 1957. I had to teach myself how to as I didn't know anybody who fly fished. This was before the internet. Hell it was before anything. But I didn't stay with it because I caught more fish with a no.1 Mepps spinner. I think in may 87 years here on earth I fished just about every way there is/was.

I retired from Boeing in 1999. Traded all my gear rods and reels for a 15' 9, 10, 11 Spey rod. But I didn't stick with it. I have always had more fun with my 9' 6" 8wt. I moved to Montana in 2007. Been here ever since. This is me in a nut shell.

Shad

Life of the Party
Welcome, and nice bass!

I've always enjoyed (and still do) fishing other types of gear, but fly fishing is definitely my favorite. I grew up in Colorado, and I always knew I wanted to fly fish, but it was just too damned complicated and frustrating for me until I was about 8. I think my favorite things about fly fishing are the simplicity of the setups, the rhythms of casting, and the direct, tactile connection to the lure (and when things go right, the fish!). I used to say that catching fish on flies I tied was what set fly fishing apart, but I've learned over the years that tying jigs and wrapping hardware offer that aspect, too.

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I bought my first fly rod and reel in 1957. I had to teach myself how to as I didn't know anybody who fly fished. This was before the internet. Hell it was before anything. But I didn't stay with it because I caught more fish with a no.1 Mepps spinner. I think in may 87 years here on earth I fished just about every way there is/was.

I retired from Boeing in 1999. Traded all my gear rods and reels for a 15' 9, 10, 11 Spey rod. But I didn't stick with it. I have always had more fun with my 9' 6" 8wt. I moved to Montana in 2007. Been here ever since. This is me in a nut shell.
I still have my favorite Mepps in the garage, gathering dust.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
We have a few females on this site. When they see you they will perk up.

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Welcome, and nice bass!

I've always enjoyed (and still do) fishing other types of gear, but fly fishing is definitely my favorite. I grew up in Colorado, and I always knew I wanted to fly fish, but it was just too damned complicated and frustrating for me until I was about 8. I think my favorite things about fly fishing are the simplicity of the setups, the rhythms of casting, and the direct, tactile connection to the lure (and when things go right, the fish!). I used to say that catching fish on flies I tied was what set fly fishing apart, but I've learned over the years that tying jigs and wrapping hardware offer that aspect, too.
I haven’t completely converted for bass. Most of my bass this year have been on the fly. But this weekend I landed a monster bucket mouth on a top water frog. I was thankful for my braided line on my spinning rod, because that big lady wrapped me in the weeds for a solid 10 minutes. It took some patience and pressure to get her out.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Welcome Jess. I've seen your posts on FFW, I think you've figured this flyfishing thing out.
As a kid (1960s) I watched an old coot on tv whose handle was Gaddabout Gaddis
fly around the country flyfishing for various species.
One particular episode hooked me. He was flyfishing for half-pounder steelhead on the Rogue River. It looked like such a blast I knew then I had to try this sport we all have gotten hooked on.
A few years later I got an outfit and started fishing the NF Stillaguamish river for summer steelhead. Eventually I found success and branched out to other species available in my area.
I love all types of fishing and still fish gear and bait at times but mostly flyfish.
Enjoy the forum. I've a feeling we'll learn a few things from you.
Fred

Xoxo

YaY! Another woman on the forum! Welcome @CopperJess ! Nice intro too.
I never did any kind of fishing at all until i turned 40 years old so no conversion. I naively started out fly fishing and with NO idea how difficult it would be, but i did my best to learn. Classes, and the fly fishing forum helped a lot. What i learned is i will never learn enough.

Edited to add this disclaimer ….cause i always feel like i need to: I did NOT want to start fly fishing because of THAT MOVIE. Y’all know the one.)

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Welcome Jess. I've seen your posts on FFW, I think you've figured this flyfishing thing out.
As a kid (1960s) I watched an old coot on tv whose handle was Gaddabout Gaddis
fly around the country flyfishing for various species.
One particular episode hooked me. He was flyfishing for half-pounder steelhead on the Rogue River. It looked like such a blast I knew then I had to try this sport we all have gotten hooked on.
A few years later I got an outfit and started fishing the NF Stillaguamish river for summer steelhead. Eventually I found success and branched out to other species available in my area.
I love all types of fishing and still fish gear and bait at times but mostly flyfish.
Enjoy the forum. I've a feeling we'll learn a few things from you.
Fred
Thanks Fred!

Shad

Life of the Party
I haven’t completely converted for bass. Most of my bass this year have been on the fly. But this weekend I landed a monster bucket mouth on a top water frog. I was thankful for my braided line on my spinning rod, because that big lady wrapped me in the weeds for a solid 10 minutes. It took some patience and pressure to get her out.
Yeah... I've never tangled with a bucketmouth bigger than about 3 pounds on a bug rod, and I'm not sure how well it would go if I did LOL. That said, I'm not afraid to try! I have a fondness for "one that got away" stories.

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
YaY! Another woman on the forum! Welcome @CopperJess ! Nice intro too.
I never did any kind of fishing at all until i turned 40 years old so no conversion. I naively started out fly fishing and with NO idea how difficult it would be, but i did my best to learn. Classes, and the fly fishing forum helped a lot. What i learned is i will never learn enough.

Edited to add this disclaimer ….cause i always feel like i need to: I did NOT want to start fly fishing because of THAT MOVIE. Y’all know the one.)
I feel like I learn something every time I go out. It’s so amazing.
And yes, I know that movie 😂

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Yeah... I've never tangled with a bucketmouth bigger than about 3 pounds on a bug rod, and I'm not sure how well it would go if I did LOL. That said, I'm not afraid to try! I have a fondness for "one that got away" stories.
I’ve landed some massive smallmouth and largemouth on my 10ft 7wt. It’s a hoot. But I know this time of year when the weeds are in thick, it may not be the best route.

Shad

Life of the Party
You were the final one to convince me to join. And I love bass! If people knew how technical they can be, I think more experienced fly fishers would give it a try.
Careful what you wish for. Steelheading is all but dead on the Westside, and as more of us have been pushed to stillwater fisheries for planter trout in the spring, we've started to discover the joys of the occasional, surprise spiny ray. Before long, we'll all be booking Slimy Willy's (Billy's) Soaps 'n Seeps Guide Service for a shot at the big ones, and we'll have a 100-page thread about "stealthy bass flies."

In all seriousness, bass are certainly at least as cool as hatchery trout, and I agree they offer technical challenges galore. If I set my mind to catching the warm water species, I can usually catch a handful, but not always, and it often takes some thoughtful presentation tuning to get them to go. I'll fish for bass...and like it!