Name your one fly

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I moved to Montana, I said "Shit" I'll probably need more flies. Come to find out all I used in Washington worked well here. But I had to learn how to nymph as you catch more and bigger fish under the water. I still use dries but have almost used nymphs more now.

Reactions: RCF

Xoxo

I really only like dry fly fishing as i have never mastered (nor did i ever care to) nymphing. I could never figure out how to use a dropper or a strike indicator either. I like to fish what‘s easiest for me and want to keep it stress free. I’m the person who had to quit yoga because i got too stressed out from doing it. I don’t want to make fly fishing stressful like yoga was!

Because I have about as much chance at being an entomologist as i do of playing quarterback for the LA Rams i stick mostly to my staple favorites, though I will at times fish with chironomids.

My favorites:
Parachute Adams (my go to fly)
Royal Wulff
Elk hair caddis
Madam X
little gnats
….and whatever the folks in the fly shop tell me might work

Last edited:

BDD

Steelhead
Trout in cricks and rivers-Goddard Caddis
Trout in lakes in the spring-Red Ice Cream Cone
All around fly-Black Woolley Bugger/Carlton General

Flymph

Steelhead
Lakes = Marabou
Streams = Lively Legs

I believe Trigger Mechanisms are reactions to materials. Think about your best hopper pattern without legs!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I have mostly been fishing lakes and I have two go to wet flies and two go to dry flies
Wet
1. carey special with peacock hurl
2. beadheaded bugger
Dry
1. Hopper
2. Beetle

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
Stillwater

Dry: lady mcConnell
Streamer. Simiseal leech w red beadhead*
Emerger: Sparkle dun, gray
Nymph: Rickards damsel nymph, orange details version
Chironomid. “JBC”, jays best chironomid

* tie with the also must have black and variegated and gold sparkle wooly buggger in modest size and w gold head
Jay

I could still use a bloodworm that I really liked. So far a simple red tassel braided material for n tiny diameter , or an all bead version -red lined clear beads - are my best

Last edited:

Shad

Life of the Party
Dry: whatever dumb thing I luck into getting them to eat (I'm a lousy dry fly fisher, but a stimulator dragged across the surface works pretty good for local cutts).
Everything else: some sort of olive woolly worm/bugger variant. That pattern is downright fishy anywhere. I am headed to the Florida Keys pretty soon here, and while I have tied an absurd arsenal of bad saltwater flies, I will definitely be tying a few olive buggers on saltwater hooks, just to see what will eat them. I'm betting they will catch something....

Reactions: Zak