NFR Most popular aps/websites to sell items?

Non-fishing related

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Not sure I understand all the cloak and dagger requirements for Facebook.
Facebook collects a LOT of data on their users. It's really the product that they profit off of. Some folks find that distasteful, some don't care. But it is worth all of us being aware of.

If something is free on the internet, then YOU are probably the product being sold. It's part of the reason that we don't run creepy ad networks here on PNWFF. Sure, we could make some money doing it, but we hate that crap. If we're going to have an ad, we'd like it to be sponsorship from the fishing industry. Not some FB subsidiary tracking you across the internet so it can show you the same ads in 15 websites.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Facebook collects a LOT of data on their users. It's really the product that they profit off of. Some folks find that distasteful, some don't care. But it is worth all of us being aware of.

If something is free on the internet, then YOU are probably the product being sold. It's part of the reason that we don't run creepy ad networks here on PNWFF. Sure, we could make some money doing it, but we hate that crap. If we're going to have an ad, we'd like it to be sponsorship from the fishing industry. Not some FB subsidiary tracking you across the internet so it can show you the same ads in 15 websites.
My Facebook page is nearly blank for the reasons you mentioned. I'd like to see a step by step demonstration of how they are going to make money off the info of me giving away a beat up couch.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
My Facebook page is nearly blank for the reasons you mentioned. I'd like to see a step by step demonstration of how they are going to make money off the info of me giving away a beat up couch.
The answer is trackers. They don't need you to have anything on your page. They know where you've been and what websites you visit. If you have the app on your phone, it tracks data from there, too. The messenger app is known to make some interesting use of the audio your phone picks up as well.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Ok. With my phone I only make calls, text, google search, map search, weather, tides, kindle, one of my email accounts

I don't Facebook, bank, shop, etc. on my phone. All that is done at home behind my VPN, ad-blocked, web shielded desktop.

Good boat and trailer deals on Craig's List and you can find some decent sporting goods there also.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ok. With my phone I only make calls, text, google search, map search, weather, tides, kindle, one of my email accounts

I don't Facebook, bank, shop, etc. on my phone. All that is done at home behind my VPN, ad-blocked, web shielded desktop.

Good boat and trailer deals on Craig's List and you can find some decent sporting goods there also.
If you're keeping Facebook just to your desktop with those protections, then you're good to go.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm selling seeds I produced, so lightweight and basically free to me, 13% ebay fees wouldn't hurt my feelings too much. I think that's the route I'll go. I wish I had the time to make a simple website with a paypall but I think that's a bit above my paygrade.
Are they feminized?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Are they feminized?
Nope just regular. Haven't got into the whole spraying with coloidial silver thing yet, but i have looked into it, maybe ill give it a try this year. I mostly just want to save or preserve a strain and after pollination I end up with several hundred seeds and I only need a few.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nope just regular. Haven't got into the whole spraying with coloidial silver thing yet, but i have looked into it, maybe ill give it a try this year. I mostly just want to save or preserve a strain and after pollination I end up with several hundred seeds and I only need a few.
My experience with fem seeds is hot and cold

cdnred

Life of the Party
Facebook is a no go, I used to use OfferUp but that seems to be a relic now, Craigslist is kinda shady but an option, is Ebay still a thing? What are people using to sell stuff now?
With ebay's 13% fee, could you incorporate that into the price plus a bit for shipping or would that raise the price too much..? You could make a comparison with other seed vendors to see if your price would be similar once you factor in the extra costs. If you send it thru the postal service, it would amount to the cost of a postage stamp. Ebay would be the better option since it'll give you a much wider market. Have you looked at whether you could sell thru Amazon, just a thought..?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
With ebay's 13% fee, could you incorporate that into the price plus a bit for shipping or would that raise the price too much..? You could make a comparison with other seed vendors to see if your price would be similar once you factor in the extra costs. If you send it thru the postal service, it would amount to the cost of a postage stamp. Ebay would be the better option since it'll give you a much wider market. Have you looked at whether you could sell thru Amazon, just a thought..?

When I list stuff here for sale, I also list on eBay, but I typically list it for more expensive on eBay to comp for the fees. I think it's pretty universal on the used FF gear market.

Zak

Legend
I would be very careful about shipping seeds, especially across state lines. Some kinds of seeds are still Schedule 1 under federal law. Not worth the risk, IMHO.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I would be very careful about shipping seeds, especially across state lines. Some kinds of seeds are still Schedule 1 under federal law. Not worth the risk, IMHO.
Yeah, not a huge deal in Oregon. You can mail order from a number of in-state suppliers. But I know in several other states, including WA, growing is still illegal, so I'm sure it gets murky.

Weirdly enough though, things like seeds, mushroom spores, etc etc aren't always regulated the same as the end product.

Reactions: Zak

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I usually lowball my prices anyways, I mostly don't want them to go to waste and if I can make a few bucks that's great.

JayB

Steelhead
I'm anti-facebook as it comes, but made an account with a fake email address that I only access through a quarantined browser through a VPN specifically for marketplace. Excessive? Maybe... but it's the only way I'm willing to touch it.
Short explanation for those of us that aren't up to speed? Identity theft?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Short explanation for those of us that aren't up to speed? Identity theft?
No, nothing like that... at least from Facebook themselves. But it's a lot more complicated and nuanced than that. Basically, they collect data on their users and sell that data. They make their money by selling your data to anything from advertisers to political causes to things like Cainbridge Analytica and whatever "breach" happened there. That's just what we know about though.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I would expect to pay the going rate at eBay for what it is. Or go find something else if it's that bad. The volume/traffic there speaks for itself. You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.