Measuring Distances App

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone have an App they like that measures distance say along shorelines, river banks etc.
Google Earth has a measuring option, but it pretty much add a point then a straight line to the next point unless I'm using it incorrectly.
I'd like something I can use on a mobile device that allows you to draw a line and measure around natures natural curves rather then adding a bunch of points with straight lines to get an approximate distance.
Thanks for any suggestions.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Like Zak I use Google, but Maps, a lot. And I was/am a surveyor and have access to GIS programs. Several chords along a curve is close enough for me. It would calculate out to a few steps difference as long as you are not too sloppy.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Sam,
I’ve been thinking of getting OnX or similar just to identify homeowners and private tideland ownership.
Please post a screenshot of the distance measuring within it if possible.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
Line based but if you use your two thumbs it’s easy to draw and plot as you go. No single finger draw, yet. I say yet because OnX is really good at taking suggestions and putting them in their app. Seems like a good one too as I get what you’re trying to do.

FABFEDF1-631E-4A92-AA2A-59616EBA342D.png

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
There's a number of hiking apps that measure how far you walk, not sure if that would be what you are wanting, or if those apps have shoreline maps.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone have an App they like that measures distance say along shorelines, river banks etc.
Google Earth has a measuring option, but it pretty much add a point then a straight line to the next point unless I'm using it incorrectly.
I'd like something I can use on a mobile device that allows you to draw a line and measure around natures natural curves rather then adding a bunch of points with straight lines to get an approximate distance.
SF

Measure maps

Chadk

Life of the Party
SF
OnX has a new feature. Works amazing.

Just click a road or trail, and then the point you want to measure to. If you select the "snap to" option, it overlays the line on the most obvious trail/road path automatically.

onx 1.png
onx2.png

snap3.png

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I’m just learning OnX. Like the feature of knowing where public lands are. Appreciate learning new tricks.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I live in OnX for about 6 months of the year. I LOVE the new “snap to” feature for trails that are marked on the map. I’m really hoping that they are able to concoct a way to use it off trail…that’s where I really need it. They already give you the mileage on established trails but my routes aren’t always built on trails. The app has come a long way since I first started using it.

Also, there are a ton of hidden features, at least unknown features, on Google Earth. It’s possible there’s something in Google Earth that’s “hidden”. I’m about to take a class on Google Earth…maybe I’ll learn it and share.