Puget Sound

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I suggest also adding Gaia Maps premium with the Public and Private layers enabled to find beach public access.
I use OnX but am not familiar with Gaia, though I have heard good things. How does it compare?

Reactions: Zak

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I use OnX but am not familiar with Gaia, though I have heard good things. How does it compare?
I posted a cellphone screenshot of a Hood Canal beach in Gaia showing the tidelands private property boundries
I posted a comparison of the features and cost of my all in one worldwide Gaia subscription and what I saw on the OnX website subscriptions webpage.
https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/garmin.6617/post-152743

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Yes, my wife and I stayed at an Airbnb property; she attending a retreat with her Quilt Guild and I fished a couple of HC beaches during the day. I thought the property lines were rather bizzare

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Washington should have never sold off tidelands.
SF
One of the nice parts of fishing from a watercraft. Most folks are cool with walk and wade on their beaches, especially if you offer part of any take, but with a boat you’re legal almost anywhere (the Navy isn’t very accommodating).

Zak

Legend
I have never used OnX, but I have the premium GaiaGPS and I like it. I discovered that I can have it display on my Android Auto car dashboard. On a recent trip to the Gifford Pinchot, well out of cell range, I pre-downloaded the topo maps and my target placemarks and was able to navigate well with no cell service.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A
We are coming into some of my favorite months for sea run cutthroat.

Here are two publicly-available maps that you may find useful to shorten the learning curve on good beaches. (Hint: Either can be good by itself, but definitely try looking at places the two overlap and combine with Google Maps)View attachment 96654View attachment 96655
Awesome cheat sheets- thanks

Zak

Legend
We are coming into some of my favorite months for sea run cutthroat.

Here are two publicly-available maps that you may find useful to shorten the learning curve on good beaches. (Hint: Either can be good by itself, but definitely try looking at places the two overlap and combine with Google Maps)View attachment 96654View attachment 96655
I use this to find eelgrass beds (it is a layer you can add to the map):

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
One of the nice parts of fishing from a watercraft. Most folks are cool with walk and wade on their beaches, especially if you offer part of any take, but with a boat you’re legal almost anywhere (the Navy isn’t very accommodating).

There are a lot of beaches I’d like to fish on foot. You are correct, most people are cool or if you ask for access but there are some that aren’t that have great beaches totally lock up from access.
That is their right since they pay taxes on those tidelands. I just wish the state hadn’t ever sold off the tidelands on some of our saltwater beaches.

Another option for viewing shorelines. I think this one might be a bit different then the one @Zak posted.

SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
There are a lot of beaches I’d like to fish on foot. You are correct, most people are cool or if you ask for access but there are some that aren’t that have great beaches totally lock up from access.
That is their right since they pay taxes on those tidelands. I just wish the state hadn’t ever sold off the tidelands on some of our saltwater beaches.
I will say the old adage, kill them with kindness goes a long way when seeking access on a private beach. I only fish a few and go out of my way to be respectful to landowners. Clean your trash ( and others), be quiet and watch lights if you are out early, give a smile and a wave and share your catch if they are interested. I’ve seen the same landowner allow folks to stay or call the cops depending on who who they interacted with first on their land. One dude was a defiant prick and one was cool. Made all the difference.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I will say the old adage, kill them with kindness goes a long way when seeking access on a private beach. I only fish a few and go out of my way to be respectful to landowners. Clean your trash ( and others), be quiet and watch lights if you are out early, give a smile and a wave and share your catch if they are interested. I’ve seen the same landowner allow folks to stay or call the cops depending on who who they interacted with first on their land. One dude was a defiant prick and one was cool. Made all the difference.

That is how to do it. For the most part people are cool but there are those that won’t allow access no matter how much sugar you pour on them.
Once you get to know folks, they become like friends and while come down and chat you up, maybe even offering you fishing gear, kabobs or beers. 😉

RCF

Life of the Party

Same applies to any water access. Also works for hunting too.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
One other thing I do when encountering people on private beaches is chat them up and try to get a sense of how long they’ve lived there. I’ll also try to find something in common to make the conversation flow easier. Most but not all of the interesting encounters with have been relatively new people to the area.
I had an interesting conversation with one guy that I used to run into all the time while out fishing. He was a long time resident and we were chatting about fishing spots. He was bemoaning that many of the spots he fished as a kid were no longer accessible due to certain homeowners. I mentioned one spot I haven’t been able to fish and he told me a story about the homeowner on this particular beach. He was out in his boat with his son when they developed engine problems. They got to shore and were waiting for a buddy to show up to tow them when the homeowner came down and told them they had to leave. He tried explaining the situation but the homeowner persisted they get off his land. That is some pretty shitty territorial behavior when someone is in need of help.
I don’t even think @JimTravers¤£a!!Travers
Main Amendment would have helped in that situation. 😉
SF