Martha

Hit Martha again bloom in full swing, it was moving around ? Is it turning, not heard of this till this spring. Anyway I went 2 for 3 on my cronimids. Happy times, 14" on the nose.

Attachments

• IMG_20220422_162032740.jpg
    IMG_20220422_162032740.jpg
    853.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20220422_152604085.jpg
    IMG_20220422_152604085.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20220422_142226894.jpg
    IMG_20220422_142226894.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 143

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
tonight i figured out where all those cutthroat fry ended up....
View attachment 17463
This is the situation where I have to question the planting of fingerlings.
There's a Selective lake near Spokane that has really gone down the toilet in recent years and I have to believe that fingerling predation has to be a significant contributor. I'm certainly no biologist but it seems like stocking larger fish in lakes that have a spiny ray population would make far more sense and result in better survival.
Sorry for the drift.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Do you guys know if the Cutthroat in that lake are natural? I know they aren’t currently stocked

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Never seen one
I've caught them in the past, but that was quite a long time ago. They were very tough to find and catch. And they were never interested in any of the flies that worked on the RBs and BTs. My best there was 16". I haven't checked the recent plantings, so can't speak to matters of holdovers and such.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I've caught them in the past, but that was quite a long time ago. They were very tough to find and catch. And they were never interested in any of the flies that worked on the RBs and BTs. My best there was 16". I haven't checked the recent plantings, so can't speak to matters of holdovers and such.
I remember your favorite game was the "Trifecta" one of each in a single outing at Martha 🙂 Most of the cutts were long and skinny compared to the other 2.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I remember your favorite game was the "Trifecta" one of each in a single outing at Martha 🙂 Most of the cutts were long and skinny compared to the other 2.
True that! But much harder to do these days: I no longer have Rhode Island Red hens to tie flies from.

T

Tombraider

Shit tons today, need a 2 wt for these.

Attachments

• 20230602_122204.jpg
    20230602_122204.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 37
T

Tombraider

Was an older guy again I've seen before. He left before me. Was a net on bank I think he forgot. I have it and would like to return if you know him. Drives a white Ford pickup.

T

Tombraider

Been to the lake twice looking for new owner, thought today I found him, Nope. Had fish, I asked if he was catching any keeper size fish ? Ahhhh, I think so, showed me, Nope. Kept my trap shut. I give up on these folks. Won't be back till it cools off.

dflett68

Steelhead
Do you guys know if the Cutthroat in that lake are natural? I know they aren’t currently stocked
what makes you say you know? like everyone else, i can make no sense of why we don't encounter them, and we all know govt. reporting is as likely to be false as true - but this is what wdfw has published (actuals, not planned):

1686575412083.png

i've seen at least one report from @Tim Lockhart with a big fat cutthroat in hand, so they're in there, or have been in there - and if any of the data above is to be believed, they aren't natural...

d

Last edited:

dflett68

Steelhead
This is the situation where I have to question the planting of fingerlings.
There's a Selective lake near Spokane that has really gone down the toilet in recent years and I have to believe that fingerling predation has to be a significant contributor. I'm certainly no biologist but it seems like stocking larger fish in lakes that have a spiny ray population would make far more sense and result in better survival.
Sorry for the drift.
if you go from catching one of the zillions of stocked legals this time of year, to catching a bow of the same size that's grown up in that lake from a baby - you won't question the stocking of fry - you'll question the stocking of legals! additionally, if the legals weren't there every spring, we wouldn't have illegal anglers angling in illegal fashion at the boat launch and all around the lake....

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It’s my thought that, in the same way certain tactics work better for Brown trout, versus Rainbows, likewise applies to cutthroats. I’ve read that cutts can be easily spooked. Adjusting flies and presentation to address that might yield better results.

Martha has experienced quite a number of changes since the first couple of years I fished there. The most obvious thing is how bass have taken over a lot of the habitat the brown trout used to occupy in the Spring, especially late Spring. During that same time, the perch show up in the shallower zones where rainbows were common. This has always been the case with the perch. However, the bass have really come on strong over the past couple of years.

All together, I can’t help but wonder if the increase in bottom weeds, like milfoil and other plants, have favored the spiny ray fish. I really feel this has changed the fish habitats enough that trout are no longer remaining so much in the areas I used to easily find them. It was like I could just point to spots and know I could find a trout there. Not so much anymore. It feels like a displacement has happened.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
interesting, I don’t know of a waterway that connects Washington waters with native northern pike population. Therefore, a “bucket biologist” must have said to him or herself, “Self, big northern pike would be a great addition to this lake, river, pond. I think I’ll put some in. We love them in Michigan, Montana, Wisconsin…”.

Such incredible stupidity. There in lies the introduction of lake trout into Yellowstone National Park waters and others.