Martha

Hit Martha again bloom in full swing, it was moving around ? Is it turning, not heard of this till this spring. Anyway I went 2 for 3 on my cronimids. Happy times, 14" on the nose.

Attachments

• IMG_20220422_162032740.jpg
    IMG_20220422_162032740.jpg
    853.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20220422_152604085.jpg
    IMG_20220422_152604085.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20220422_142226894.jpg
    IMG_20220422_142226894.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 143

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I haven't fished there in a number of year, but besides warmwater fish predation how much do you think birds may also be playing a part?
Seems crazy to spend money on cutthroat if they aren't really contributing much to catches.
SF

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I'm not familiar with Martha but assume it's a natural lake. That being said, with the stocking of various sizes and varieties of trout along with the presence of warmwater species, the principles of reservoir biology apply. Back during my working days, we managed (or attempted to manage) trophy fisheries in reservoirs on state wildlife areas in northern California. In one case on a newly acquired wildlife area, we had a 200 surface acre reservoir that had an existing largemouth bass and bluegill population along with native rainbow trout (steelhead fingerlings). The rainbows accessed the lake via an unscreened diversion from a stream in the Upper Klamath River Watershed. After initial electrofishing surveys, the diversion was screened and we switched to an annual planting of 10"-12" Eagle Lake strain rainbow trout. These fish were planted in the fall (after the lake had closed to fishing) and allowed to grow through the winter months until the spring trout opener.

I had about 28 years of involvement in this program and can say there's a lot of variability in the food chain from year to year with booms and busts of various fish and prey species populations. Given the intensity of stocking as stated in Brian's post, I would expect the same sort of variability in Martha. Warmwater species compete with trout for prey as well, as that giant black crappie will attest. I would expect that some years (or a series of years) will be more favorable for rapid growth than others.
I go back 10-15 yrs at Martha WB (whenever Dave/Ceviche first took me there). All my experience bares that out, and I've found that to be the case almost everywhere else. Martha has a very good history of fat 20+" browns; I've never seen sizable warmwater fish there - plenty of dinks; carryover RB's have typically been solid (and fun), and I'll add the jumbos are worth looking for and not hard to find - seek them in the weeks following arrival (assuming that's still a thing).

Also of note, Martha's year round regs have served her well, as the masses tend to focus on nearby Lk Ki. Of those who fish using gear, they tend to be little impact on the game we're most interested in. Timing, location, methods and a general lack of ability are factors in all my observation - pretty typical stuff.

In all that time, the present is by far the worst I've encountered tbere for brown trout. My last was Nov 2021 and I only had a single one, albeit a nice fish. Granted I'm out of state and don't go there often these days, but I know what to expect. That said, I'd be surprised if they didn't come back around. And I've seen very similar cycles among browns in other lakes, Pass among them.

Until then, it's still a good rainbow fishery - if anything Martha could use a few less. Plus if warmwater species are becoming more of a trend there I'd change focus. Sizable crappie and bass are great fun on a fly.

Just wish we had a better program for brown trout in Ohio lakes. I'd be very interested to see how they compare with the rainbows in this environment.

Last thought - from above regarding bird predation - anything that thins out fish stocks is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Washington's #1 issue for trout in lakes: Overpopulation

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm a little blown away with the shear number of fish being dumped into a 63 acre lake on an annual basis. Personally, I would not expect many of the fingerlings to reach catchable size - it must be a helluva productive lake. I just read Brian's comment and agree wholeheartedly, if few if any cutthroat reach catchable size, why does the state continue to dump 1000's in each year?

dflett68

Steelhead
Those rainbow trout are an ideal forage fish for LMB. Conversations with biologists stocking 8” rainbows in Southern California lakes who laughed at the feeding frenzy when stocking trucks unloaded their contents at boat launches. Of course, my memory is going back to grad school in 1977! If a trout made it to 12” it was probably safe.

Ideal forage for LMB? 8”-10”, cylindrical body, no spines in fins, stupid and schooling like they’re still in Their rearing ponds.
except none of the bows are planted as fry and the species that ARE planted as fry are nowhere to be found. i don't doubt there are some alpha lmb in there that could choke down one of the planted legals once or twice a week - but a lake that size can only accomodate so many of those specimens, right? and there are still plenty of those bows getting caught. i think it is the fry those bass and crappie are feasting on.

maybe the secret strategy is to create an exceptional bass and crappie fishery by feeding them 15,000 trout babies every spring, then distracting the trout anglers with a few easily catch-able legals =)

dflett68

Steelhead
I'm a little blown away with the shear number of fish being dumped into a 63 acre lake on an annual basis. Personally, I would not expect many of the fingerlings to reach catchable size - it must be a helluva productive lake. I just read Brian's comment and agree wholeheartedly, if few if any cutthroat reach catchable size, why does the state continue to dump 1000's in each year?
"catchable size" - the thing i find curious is i've never caught a trout there below "catchable" size. where are the stages between fry and 10"? with that many fry planted each spring - you would think you'd run across them in schools. i know i'm not a good enough angler to avoid them on purpose!

Uptonogood

PNW raised
except none of the bows are planted as fry and the species that ARE planted as fry are nowhere to be found. i don't doubt there are some alpha lmb in there that could choke down one of the planted legals once or twice a week - but a lake that size can only accomodate so many of those specimens, right? and there are still plenty of those bows getting caught. i think it is the fry those bass and crappie are feasting on.

maybe the secret strategy is to create an exceptional bass and crappie fishery by feeding them 15,000 trout babies every spring, then distracting the trout anglers with a few easily catch-able legals =)
As I recall, the lakes were in the Sad Diego area which was producing potential world record LMB frequently.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Last thought - from above regarding bird predation - anything that thins out fish stocks is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Washington's #1 issue for trout in lakes: Overpopulation

100% agree. We had a good discussion about quality versus quantity on the old board. In particular regarding our so called quality lakes, which in my opinion really aren't that quality.
Many put and take lakes offer a lot better fishing in my experience but even some of those are way too heavily planted at times.
I totally get that some people enjoy quantity. I just find myself in the former group.
SF

Last edited:

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Man. Tough for me to sound in here on the current thread, as I haven’t been able to fish Martha as much as I would’ve liked over the past few years. Missing trends, you know.

What I can say is that good sized trout are to be found but not where they were when it was still C&T. I have noticed that LMB are common in habitat that Browns used to occupy in and around shore structure. If you think about it, snaggy shoreline is typical LMB habitat. However, if one fished in winter on a good weather day (🤣🤣🤣), I suspect you should get into some quality Browns. I was gone working the last two winters, so there you are. I can only guess.

As far as the cutthroats are concerned, they’ve always been tough to find. And I mean always. My only luck has been with small fly patterns #12 and definitely under. I haven’t caught enough to understand them.

The huge Black Crappie? I caught one of about the same size amongst the weeds at the east end shallows. Unless they die off in Winter, I no longer see much point in fishing the shallows there. Over a decade ago, they weren’t as thick and as close to the surface.

Thing is, as the water warms, spiny ray fish will become more active and quicker to take your fly than a trout—especially in water less than 10ft deep.

I hear it’s been raining a lot lately (I’m in Hawaii at the moment) and it looks like it’s going to be one very wet June. If the evening temps are cold enough, there might still be some opportunities to still get in some decent fishing. Otherwise, it’s been my practice to leave Martha alone come June, when the temps consistently stays in the high 60s and into the 70s. Just too many perch and bass getting in the way, as well as trout getting stressed.

Tight Lines!
—Dave E.

T

Tombraider

Killer day, fished mid depth, some of my catches.

Attachments

• 20220616_141154.jpg
    20220616_141154.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 20220616_130129.jpg
    20220616_130129.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
  • 20220616_125934.jpg
    20220616_125934.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 20220616_124317.jpg
    20220616_124317.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
T

Tombraider

One had a big gash, this lake has my attention. Lots of bass fishing today. 2 gals came out and was fishing power bait. I clued them in on sign and rules. Every time I go their poachers.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Imagine my extreme disappointment when this thread wasn't about Martha Stewart's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue....searched everywhere but nary a copy to be found at the local newsstands. 🤣

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Had a quick look yesterday. Can't quite walk across the RB's but certainly plenty. Some in tight if you don't mind shaking all the little bass. Of note, first new facility in a lot of years. Doubt it takes long to get gross tho.
IMG_5648.jpegIMG_5642.jpegIMG_5639.jpeg