Let’s start a trout spey thread

cedarslug

Steelhead
Great thread! I don't fish enough as it is (wife/toddler, work around the house, playing music, etc.), and don't need to get into two handers at the moment. I'll live vicariously through y'all!

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Works for me too.😉
I also don’t hold a loop always, so it’s hard to hear the line peeling out while I’m spacing out and listening to tunes😎 it’s happened on Steelhead before, I had my tunes so loud I didn’t feel or hear my line peeling out on the hang down from a HOT Steelhead!

JLT

20 years late to the game
Forum Supporter
Sometimes you've only got an hour to fish before work and the river is 2 hours away. A quick trip to the local slough, swinging for pike minnow, can be the fix I need. Every catch and release on the bank could be hundreds of salmon making it to the salt. 6 to hand with a couple of slabs, and one small cutty.

Attachments

• Pike Minnow.jpg
    Pike Minnow.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Old school fly.jpg
    Old school fly.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 36

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
I figured I’d keep this alive by saying the Yak is swinging real nice! Had a hell of a morning just walking, wading and swinging😬 give those shoulders a break and swing some flys!

Bob

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I figured I’d keep this alive by saying the Yak is swinging real nice! Had a hell of a morning just walking, wading and swinging😬 give those shoulders a break and swing some flys!

Bob
Bob- what are your fav wet flies for swinging for trout in the Yak?

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Bob- what are your fav wet flies for swinging for trout in the Yak?

Oh boy… that’s a tuff one. I’ve got a box full of soft hackles and then some bigger stuff in white, olive and black. Today I was using a jig style bait fish fly and a jig style black leech with tungsten beads and a floating line.

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
Sweet Catchercraft. I have the same setup. Maybe a silly question but why do you have the rod pointed that direction vs having the handle in the rear?

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Sweet Catchercraft. I have the same setup. Maybe a silly question but why do you have the rod pointed that direction vs having the handle in the rear?

I just like it better that way. I also don’t want to smack the top two sections of the rod with an oar by accident.

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I point my rods back because I'm usually rowing away from trouble. Just gotta be careful pulling over.

@Bob Rankin What Meiser is that? I got a 12'6 3-5 and feel like its a bit much for a lot of places but that looks like prime water for it.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
I point my rods back because I'm usually rowing away from trouble. Just gotta be careful pulling over.

@Bob Rankin What Meiser is that? I got a 12'6 3-5 and feel like its a bit much for a lot of places but that looks like prime water for it.

My thoughts exactly on keeping the rod backwards.

This rod is a 12’6” 4-6 Meiser. It’s all I use anymore for trout spey. It punches through the wind on the yakima really well using a Scandi line and the action has the feel of an old Sage brownie. It’s got plenty of poop to get fish in quickly with the ability to cast to the far bank if needed . It’s the shortest rod I own, I like a longer rod😬

Last edited:

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I have the same rod in his CX model, got It prior to the pandemic and haven’t used it as much as the 5-7 Highlander but a 24” fall steelhead put a pretty good bend in it.

What lines are you and Bob Rankin using? Steve G made me a Ballistic Vector taper in 360 gr. and 40’ that seems pretty nice using Underhand style, I really haven’t had a chance to use it as much as I want to.

Agreed that rods pointed with tip to the rear is safest way.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
I have the same rod in his CX model, got It prior to the pandemic and haven’t used it as much as the 5-7 Highlander but a 24” fall steelhead put a pretty good bend in it.

What lines are you and Bob Rankin using? Steve G made me a Ballistic Vector taper in 360 gr. and 40’ that seems pretty nice using Underhand style, I really haven’t had a chance to use it as much as I want to.

Agreed that rods pointed with tip to the rear is safest way.

I’ve got a Godshall Scandi at 34’ that’s 410gr, it’s ok with a mono leader. I also use a rage head at 360 grains that I can use 50 grain sonar leaders with, I really like this line. For winter work I use a Skagit max short 375 grain with some T8 and unweighted fly’s.

I’m really trying to find a Gaelforce ESSS in a 325 or 380, I think one of those will be a sweet line!!! I’m moving away from mono running line because I hate them, really starting to love a full integrated line. They mend so well.

Last edited: