Let’s start a trout spey thread

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Singlehandjay -
I'm curious, which TR do you have? I just picked up a 12 ft 4 wt TR a couple weekends ago. I think it's an older model (unused but on clearance at a shop in Oregon). Ironically, I also put a Guru on it, mostly because I had one with me on the trip and wanted to try out the rod. I bought a line based on an Echo chart we found online while in the shop - I think it's 320 grain Rage, but might not have that exactly right.

I'm not a very experienced spey caster but the line and rod seem pretty well matched and will be a lot of fun on the bigger rivers in this region, and for trips to Montana and Wyoming. The key is that it will get me to practice my 2-handed casting more to be ready for when the coho and (hopefully) steelhead get here later this year!

ryan
Hey Ryan,
The one I have is the 11'3" 4wt. I'm running a 200 grain commando groove that blasts casts out like an 8wt. Truth be told I love this, it's fun to cast and makes a fighter out of a smaller fish then when you get something a little bigger......!

Tacovedo

B-Run Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Curious if anyone has experience with the Sage Trout Spey HD in 2wt? I have the 4wt and love it for swinging bigger streamers for winter trout and as a summer steelhead rod. However, I'm looking for something better suited for soft hackles and dries for summer trout. I got to cast the Sage G5 Trout Spey 3wt and liked it, but I feel like a 2wt might be more fun.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good call WW! Had some really good days about this time last year when the big bugs started crawling around. Did ok swinging stones but found some really nice fish with the sculpzilla. I don't know if the big fish were eating the little fish that were eating the stones, or if they were just actively looking for stuff moving towards the banks but there were some crazy grabs. Need to get back out there soon before the circus starts.

Landlocked

Steelhead
I finally broke out the 3 wt 11’3” Claymore and 270 Airflo Scout that had been languishing in divorce purgatory for almost 2 years. Swung up a few cookie cutter 13-15 inch browns on buggers on the middle Provo before flows bumped to more than what I’m going to wade. Time to head to Wyoming and find a dam.

Anyhow, this goes in the quiver with my Godshall made 5wt 11” Rodwerks I run multiple lines and Steve G. Built heads on, my 5/6 ACR, and 10’6” 6 wt Hardy Jet Switch, which I normally run a 420 grain integrated streamer/switch.

I think that the Claymore may be a fun long distance dry/dropper rod coming this summer.

I need to thin the quiver.

jfilip85

Freshly Spawned
Curious if anyone has experience with the Sage Trout Spey HD in 2wt? I have the 4wt and love it for swinging bigger streamers for winter trout and as a summer steelhead rod. However, I'm looking for something better suited for soft hackles and dries for summer trout. I got to cast the Sage G5 Trout Spey 3wt and liked it, but I feel like a 2wt might be more fun.

I have the 1wt. Pretty sweet little rod that is more versatile than one would think. I had originally targeted the 2 weight for soft hackle & light streamer fishing for Michigan brown trout, until the guys as Gorge convinced me otherwise:

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Glad to see that some of you are able to do some swinging😬 I’m totally jealous! It will be awhile tell in able walk river banks, but I have been out several days a week for the past few weeks practicing my casting with mid and long belly lines in hopes that I might get a crack at some summer steelhead.