Lake craft recommendation

Mukman

Life of the Party
My POS Scadden Outlaw Renegade has finally sprung so many un-repairable leaks (and suffered an un-glued oarlock) that it’s time to get something new.

I thought about a pram for its obvious comfort appeal, but for my style of fishing I like to hold my rod in my hands while maneuvering, ie, I like to fin my way across water.

I like good back support because I’m old.

I don’t need something that will handle Class V rapids because I’m too smart and too scared to take an inflatable on a big river. Strictly still water.

I usually fish with one rod, one reel. I don’t need a bunch of storage for multiple set ups. While this probably limits my fish, it also prevents me from jumping back and forth between rigs which definitely limits my fish.

Not super price sensitive, but don’t want to be stupid either.

I know this is a kind of boil the ocean exercise, and I know there are multiple threads about the “best” inflatables, but given my preferences above, what recommendations might this group provide?

Thanks,
Keith

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
So, if what you had worked well for you, except for the crappy construction, get an Outcast Stealth or FishCat Scout. I have the Sportsmans Warehouse version of the Scout and even the packaging calls it the Scout, for much cheaper. I have a pram and the Scout and a Super Fat Cat, and they all have their place in my arsenal. A pram takes some getting used to if you have been fishing out of a float tube or pontoon, because as you noted, it is hard to fish and move at the same time. But if you like the indicators, a pram is golden.

Mike Ediger

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My Scadden Escape is the best frameless inflatable I have used. As Wayne said, all different types have their place. But for what you describe my favorite has been a Bucks Southfork. Deck on the back for stuff, able to mount electronics if you wish, can fin around, add a padded seat and your are comfortable all day, stable, can kick my feet up if I want, not sitting in the water, land fish between my knees without leaning over too far...just the most versatile stable and comfortable for me. I don't love carrying it very far, but I love it as a fishing platform.

Last edited:

stevesflyfishing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Agree with Wayne. I fish much like you do Mukman and last year bought the Stealth and really love it. I also have a Super Fat Cat for float tube conditions and short hikes. I have a buddy that has the Scout and really likes that too. I think its a foot shorter than the Stealth and less expensive and slightly easier to get into and out of the water. The Stealth has a urethane airecell in lieu of vinyl so should be somewhat more durable.

Islander

Life of the Party
I’ve been real happy with my Outcast boats. I have the Cruzer model which is very portable and the Stealth Pro which is more inline with the Scadden you have size wise. They make a boat somewhat in between the two called the Fishcat Scout that I would have most likely bought had it been available at the time I was looking. If you go smaller like the Cruzer get the slightly larger one (they make two models). No one had them in stock when I was buying but they have better quality bladders and are built for more usage. I have a Scadden outlaw renegade also, I’ve used for close to eight years, but had it start leaking when I moved to Wyoming. I talked with some of the “raft experts” here in Cody and they were saying that glued seam boats don’t hold up well in places with extreme temperature swings and recommended a boat with welded seams. I have moved it to the basement to avoid the -20 to 98 degree swings, but plan on getting rid of it soon because the Stealth Pro is a fantastic stillwater boat and is capable of floating many of the nearby rivers also. It has enough space for everything I take with me and is modular in that you can position things like storage bags, rod holders, etc in a variety of places based on how you like things set up. The seat is about the same as the Scadden and has a bit of adjustment to accommodate leg length. I highly recommend whatever you choose, go with a welded seam boat, I’ve had the Stealth Pro for three years now (bought it used) and it’s been great.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Narrowing it down a bit more might help. Are you looking for something human powered? Does it need to be inflatable? How big of lakes are we talking?

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This Outcast still hanging in my garage if you're interested.

mickey rat

Vermin
I prefer the Scout but sometimes it’s not very practical to lug it any distance to launch. Having a DIY build cart helps in that regard. I just wish it used a urethane bladder instead of vinyl. Really like the versatility

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm using a Scadden Predator that I have had for several years and after correcting several gaffes on the part of Scadden it has become a very good boat. Not fast but certainly much faster and easier to manage than a Watermaster. (The bloated dead wildebeest!) Easy to car top and it takes readily to Scotty mounts, depth finder attachments, anchors and rod holders.

In addition I have 2 Super Fat Cats, both with back straps for easy carrying and a waist strap. Easy for even an old man.

My newest boats are 2 Outcast Cruzer Max's which are basically a Super Fat Cat with oars. These are far easier to get around in than the standard Fat Cats and allow me to go places I probably wouldn't have before. They have one fatal flaw though and that is the hard foam seat they come with. Fortunately I had a spare set of inflatable Super Fat Cat seats that I was able to use and now the Cruzer is a comfortable boat.

None of the three is a perfect boat but each has strong points and only minor disadvantages. Get used to the fact that just one boat ain't gonna do it!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Check Craigslist for a Hobie i9s or i12S inflatable kayak? Gives you peddle drive, rudder steering, some bungee storage and a big soft cushion to fish from.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I currently have a Fat Cat and a Water Master, both have their place but most of the time the Fat Cat gets the nod unless it's a larger lake with more travel to require the oars.

Triggw

Steelhead
My Scadden Escape is the best frameless inflatable I have used. As Wayne said, all different types have their place. But for what you describe my favorite has been a Bucks Southfork. Deck on the back for stuff, able to mount electronics if you wish, can fin around, add a padded seat and your are comfortable all day, stable, can kick my feet up if I want, not sitting in the water, land fish between my knees without leaning over too far...just the most versatile stable and comfortable for me. I don't love carrying it very far, but I love it as a fishing platform.
Plus one on the Bucks Bags Southfork. And regardless of manufacturer, I think the pontoon style boat has it all over everything else -- comfy, stable, adequate storage, feet (but just the feet) in water.

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
I bought an Outcast Clearwater. Stable, can fin with feet.
What sold me is empty it is 35 pounds.
Anchor mount on rear. Can add another to front.
Mount rod holders, depth finder.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I’ve been real happy with my Outcast boats. I have the Cruzer model which is very portable and the Stealth Pro which is more inline with the Scadden you have size wise. They make a boat somewhat in between the two called the Fishcat Scout that I would have most likely bought had it been available at the time I was looking. If you go smaller like the Cruzer get the slightly larger one (they make two models). No one had them in stock when I was buying but they have better quality bladders and are built for more usage. I have a Scadden outlaw renegade also, I’ve used for close to eight years, but had it start leaking when I moved to Wyoming. I talked with some of the “raft experts” here in Cody and they were saying that glued seam boats don’t hold up well in places with extreme temperature swings and recommended a boat with welded seams. I have moved it to the basement to avoid the -20 to 98 degree swings, but plan on getting rid of it soon because the Stealth Pro is a fantastic stillwater boat and is capable of floating many of the nearby rivers also. It has enough space for everything I take with me and is modular in that you can position things like storage bags, rod holders, etc in a variety of places based on how you like things set up. The seat is about the same as the Scadden and has a bit of adjustment to accommodate leg length. I highly recommend whatever you choose, go with a welded seam boat, I’ve had the Stealth Pro for three years now (bought it used) and it’s been great.
You forgot the pic
IMG_5345.jpeg

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This illustrates the freeboard of an Outcast Scout laden with about 240 pounds of assorted gear and lard. My butt is not in the water. It is actually easier to propel with fins than my Fish Cat or Fat Cat. However, the Scout is not backpackable.
18E0EF40-38B4-4E8B-BE44-C43E6C2DDF1C.png

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I'm using a Scadden Predator that I have had for several years and after correcting several gaffes on the part of Scadden it has become a very good boat. Not fast but certainly much faster and easier to manage than a Watermaster. (The bloated dead wildebeest!) Easy to car top and it takes readily to Scotty mounts, depth finder attachments, anchors and rod holders.

In addition I have 2 Super Fat Cats, both with back straps for easy carrying and a waist strap. Easy for even an old man.

My newest boats are 2 Outcast Cruzer Max's which are basically a Super Fat Cat with oars. These are far easier to get around in than the standard Fat Cats and allow me to go places I probably wouldn't have before. They have one fatal flaw though and that is the hard foam seat they come with. Fortunately I had a spare set of inflatable Super Fat Cat seats that I was able to use and now the Cruzer is a comfortable boat.

None of the three is a perfect boat but each has strong points and only minor disadvantages. Get used to the fact that just one boat ain't gonna do it! ***

*** Unless it's a Hobie with a 180 Mirage Drive, transported by 'the Gold Standard' of pickup trucks....the magnificent Toyota Tacoma.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ahh, yes-the malfeasant Toyota Tacoma! The progeny of the Conestoga wagon and the buckboard. If you don't have back trouble to begin with drive one for 10 years and become the chiropractors best friend.

To their credit however, the 2024 models do get 4 wheel disc brakes-only 122 years since their invention in 1902. And only 57 years after I purchased a new Volvo in 1967 with 4 wheel disc. The Deathtrap Tacoma is going mainstream!

Kado

Steelhead
Have any of you stood while fishing from a Stealth Pro? The promo says you can do that....
Thanks

Islander

Life of the Party
Have any of you stood while fishing from a Stealth Pro? The promo says you can do that....
Thanks
Not sure where would be a stable place to stand, on the seat? I have enough trouble standing on solid ground when casting. 😄
Maybe there is an option of some type of support bar, any pictures from the promo?

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Not sure where would be a stable place to stand, on the seat? I have enough trouble standing on solid ground when casting. 😄
Maybe there is an option of some type of support bar, any pictures from the promo?

I did come across the picture below - don't know the source - of a guy standing on a small Fish Cat Scout. He appears to have his fins on. I have a Fish Cat Scout and have no doubt that the Scout and certainly the Stealth Pro would be stable enough to let you do this. But at 67, I'm like @Islander and can find enough ways to stumble and fumble my way around on dry land without feeling the need to try this out on the water!

5u2 Scout - Standing.JPG