NFR How's the housing market where you live?

Non-fishing related

Tallguy

Steelhead
But they have plenty of swimming pools and green golf courses. It's not a water supply problem, it's a water waste problem.
It's my understanding that it is a mostly a water supply problem, occurring not only in central and E. WA, but also a number of watersheds in W. WA. In particular, low streamflows, thus warm water and dewatered habitat, are occurring because too much groundwater pumping is going on. This is both from lots of new development, and also some users which are pumping out huge amounts for various reasons. Maybe some of that is wasted, though even "wasted" water can sometimes make it's way back into the river.

Secondarily, clear cutting logging creates lots of young to middle aged forests that are growing really rapidly. That's great if you are a logging company, but just like teenagers, those young fast growing trees drink tons of water, more than old trees. That drops the water level in the river lots more than you might expect, trees basically pump water into the air.

Both those factors combined are thought to be contributing to too little water in the rivers and summer low/warm flow issues, and that's why water issues are really tightening up.

JayB

Steelhead
Interesting. I remember having a beer with a guy at Snoqualmie Pass and saying how surprised I was that there was so little development up there in terms of lodging, etc and the whole place seemed to be frozen in some kind of invisible amber deposit from the early 1980s (basically one Motel-6 type place from the 1980s) and being told that aside from the obvious constraints that come from being surrounded/on FS land, water-rights/access were one of the primary constraints on development.

I personally like the fact that it's so undeveloped despite being so close to one of the bigger population centers in the west, and feel like the addition of a place where I can get a decent burger and a beer makes it close to perfect, but it's still kind of surprising that aside from a few chairlift upgrades it's basically the same place as it was when I went skiing there as a kid.

Have no idea how much of that was true about water rights, and it seemed kind of odd given the sheer quantity of precipitation that falls on the Pass, but I could see how the allotment of water-irrigation rights a century-or-more ago could result in a situation where every drop that's due to flow east of the crest is spoken for before it even hits the ground. IIRC in CO it's not even legal to capture the water that falls on your roof in rain-barrels in many places...

JayB

Steelhead
Speaking of unique/interesting properties - I was out poking around on the OP using OnX and aside from noticing that some fairly large parcels were owned by descendents of John Hudelsdonk* I noticed a gaggle of tiny-ass private lots surrounded by ONP land, one or two of which were undeveloped and up for sale for a price that's less than most of us are paying in annual property taxes every year. The name of the settlement was also a puzzler, with an interesting backstory. I won't name it oughright just in case someone's been saving their pennies to buy little slice of heaven and doesn't want any competition for a site they've been secretly coveting, but there's enough information here to piece together the location if you're motivated.

Not easy to get to, I'm not sure if you could get anything other than a lean-to permitted, and you might have especially interesting neighbors - but probably the least expensive stake you can get on the OP that's within walking distance of a popular river and the ocean.

*https://www.historylink.org/File/7480

headduck

Steelhead
Living in sequim... a town of mostly retirees, I see lots of dream homes... for some reason they are mostly big garages with living quarters atop or adjacent... dreaming about how to hold their stuff and entirely vehichle centric.

Useful, practical, but really shitty space, typically poor use of site and pretty unimaginative.... but they are everywhere... the home I bought included.

At least mine will improve with time... as this dream wasnt mine... but the location sure is.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Living in sequim... a town of mostly retirees, I see lots of dream homes... for some reason they are mostly big garages with living quarters atop or adjacent... dreaming about how to hold their stuff and entirely vehichle centric.

Useful, practical, but really shitty space, typically poor use of site and pretty unimaginative.... but they are everywhere... the home I bought included.

At least mine will improve with time... as this dream wasnt mine... but the location sure is.
If I remember right, Dominion Terrace sort of led the way with the "retirement" theme of Sequim (go Wolves?). I can't remember when that facility came into existence. At any rate, the town I recall with one stoplight is just like almost every other small town: it grew up.

What are the medical facilities locally available to senior citizens?

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Sequim is a pretty nice little town. Can't beat the surroundings. Big open area with the ocean on one side and mountains on the other. Little far from any real skiing and non-seasonal mountain biking for me probably. I play this mental game all the time...best place to live if I wasn't tied to a location for a job. If I can get some skiing, mountain biking, and fishing fairly close by in a moderate sized town with some good food and beer I'd be happy. Are there any of those places left that aren't completely overrun these days?

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity to live where I do.

For my interests I can't think of any place better...otherwise I'd be there.
For all the bitching people do about Bozeman these days it's still pretty great if you can afford it or bought in cheap. I'd consider moving back for sure, but it would take some convincing to get my wife back to the cold.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Yeah you gotta enjoy winter. At least for now it still gives me stoke. I love this…

DSC_7176.jpg

Mingo

Life of the Party
Hawaii RE has slowed a bit with the higher interest rates, but still completely crazy. Inventory is very low...I feel bad for the individuals and families trying to buy a house, trying to outcompete the armies of all-cash buyers from Black Rock and other major investments firms hellbent on turning everywhere into Rental Village...

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Speaking of unique/interesting properties - I was out poking around on the OP using OnX and aside from noticing that some fairly large parcels were owned by descendents of John Hudelsdonk* I noticed a gaggle of tiny-ass private lots surrounded by ONP land, one or two of which were undeveloped and up for sale for a price that's less than most of us are paying in annual property taxes every year. The name of the settlement was also a puzzler, with an interesting backstory. I won't name it oughright just in case someone's been saving their pennies to buy little slice of heaven and doesn't want any competition for a site they've been secretly coveting, but there's enough information here to piece together the location if you're motivated.

Not easy to get to, I'm not sure if you could get anything other than a lean-to permitted, and you might have especially interesting neighbors - but probably the least expensive stake you can get on the OP that's within walking distance of a popular river and the ocean.

Your post reminded me of this: I work for a land conservancy near Donner Lake in CA. One parcel we acquired looked like every other open space around. It covers much of Donner Lake's northern moraine. Anyway it was busted up into hundreds of 20X50 foot lots ( I think the parcel was 240 acres IIRC and was covered with these lots). Turns out the subdivision dated to 1906 and the owner at the time was trying to market it as tent sites for sale to those displaced by the San Francisco earthquake. Some sold, many did not.

JayB

Steelhead
Interesting. Was poking around a bit yesterday and noticed that there's an active listing for a 3.9 acre parcel that includes 28 separate micro lots for ~$340K. Maybe 28 people on the forum should form an LLC, band together to buy the parcel, and divy up the lots for 12K a piece. What could go wrong? Also love the fact that this wild little good outpost has an HOA!

headduck

Steelhead
If I remember right, Dominion Terrace sort of led the way with the "retirement" theme of Sequim (go Wolves?). I can't remember when that facility came into existence. At any rate, the town I recall with one stoplight is just like almost every other small town: it grew up.

What are the medical facilities locally available to senior citizens?

It has grown up, but is still charming. Lots of work if you do anything in building trade (except design). Market is softening but still has a ways to go re:affordability.

We do have decent medical services between Sequim and Port Angeles with multiple provider options. But anything tricky, I still head to Seattle.

Keeping a consistent Gen Practitioner has been challenging but hasn't proven detrimental in any way.

Yup. Its the wolves.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Interesting. Was poking around a bit yesterday and noticed that there's an active listing for a 3.9 acre parcel that includes 28 separate micro lots for ~$340K. Maybe 28 people on the forum should form an LLC, band together to buy the parcel, and divy up the lots for 12K a piece. What could go wrong? Also love the fact that this wild little good outpost has an HOA!
Depending on a number of factors. those lots may or may not still be there. They may be consolidated by code.
It really all depends upon where they are and the code in that area.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus

^^This is a super weird enclave at least based on the view from the road. Especially interesting might be an understatement. No offense if any of y'all on on here. LOL

Rob Allen

Life of the Party

Well after my experience 2 weeks ago I'd argue that the Upper Madison is the greatest trout fishery in the western if not who whole of the US. With minimal effort we caught dozens of fish per day mostly 16" plus a few pushing 20 and one or two over 20 not a subsurface fish among them. So there are certainly worse places than your rather large back yard.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sequim is a pretty nice little town. Can't beat the surroundings. Big open area with the ocean on one side and mountains on the other. Little far from any real skiing and non-seasonal mountain biking for me probably. I play this mental game all the time...best place to live if I wasn't tied to a location for a job. If I can get some skiing, mountain biking, and fishing fairly close by in a moderate sized town with some good food and beer I'd be happy. Are there any of those places left that aren't completely overun these days?
Nelson B.C., a fave of ours. Red Mountain when it was blowing snow, Whitewater when it went bluebird, some hella fun cat ops for backcountry, excellent mtb spring thru fall, huge trout in the nearby lake, reasonable drive to all kinds of fishing. Mellow town with a great vibe. .

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

I feel exactly the same way about my town. It's great to find all your interests covered in one area.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Well after my experience 2 weeks ago I'd argue that the Upper Madison is the greatest trout fishery in the western if not who whole of the US. With minimal effort we caught dozens of fish per day mostly 16" plus a few pushing 20 and one or two over 20 not a subsurface fish among them. So there are certainly worse places than your rather large back yard.
some of the most lights out fly fishing my wife and I ever experienced was when we decided to hike along the Madison one early Sept morning. Had heard at the local fly shop the day before the Hebgen Lake Brown migration was running late, didn'g give it much thought.
So we're a few miles up river, sitting under a tree having a snack, out of the blue a few V wakes go by us...huh...then another, and another...we started swinging Egg Sucking Leeches which the browns just pounded, all big fish with some real hogs...stopped by the fly shop that afternoon on our way back to the cabin and let them know what we'd just experienced....fly shop closed and parking lot emptied in ten minutes flat...lol