How about some bass by-catch...

Slimy Deck

Watch your step
So what happened after? Harvested?

Really curious,
Kenneth
So, what happened?

I lost a favorite fly. There was no way I was lipping that thing to get it back.........

When he ate, I thought it was the mother of all Florida bass and strip struck hard. His tail came out and slapped the water and I knew right away what it was and thought "oh, this will be over quick" and it would have been but he was hooked just outside the dentures in his upper lip. I probably could have broken him off, but thought what the heck, and battled him for the next 45 mins. When he dug his feet into the bottom there was no moving him further (not that I wanted him any closer). Once the 4' leader was in the tip top I pointed the rod at him and popped him off.

Was it fun? Sorta. Interesting? Extraordinarily.

It's surprising how much strain 20 lb mono can take.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
My buddy and I had some of our “best fish“ of the year in bass tournaments...too bad they were always bycatch😂

Attachments

• 3D6D3526-7822-4F51-AE2A-8B66D8073703.jpeg
    3D6D3526-7822-4F51-AE2A-8B66D8073703.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 41
  • 2121F460-ED6D-4551-8B41-260B52FF9982.jpeg
    2121F460-ED6D-4551-8B41-260B52FF9982.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 80D9ED34-CA71-4A71-AC78-FCE550B2A088.jpeg
    80D9ED34-CA71-4A71-AC78-FCE550B2A088.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 41E7708B-EB4F-46C3-A0FA-D80252BE5ADF.jpeg
    41E7708B-EB4F-46C3-A0FA-D80252BE5ADF.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 40

cody-

Steelhead
IMG_20220426_193625942.jpg
I'm counting this as bass by-catch. Went out yesterday evening throwing anything and everything out there to test out my new home water, but I was mostly hoping for some panfish or little smallmouth. About 7PM there was a flurry of surface activity nearby; tried small poppers for 15 minutes before switching to a flying ant and was immediately getting hits from little 'bows on every cast.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I have twice caught sea gulls on the Wallula pool of the Columbia. Both times we were chasing bait balls that were getting smoked by schools of SM. I was walking a big Zara Spook. No pics and they were not fun to unhook.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I caught a pike minnow swinging on the metolius last august. Had no idea they were in there. Hit hard mid swing. It was 20 inches or more. After I let it go I wondered if I should have killed it.
Uhhh yeah. Did you also know that you can make money off them through the state bounty program ? Someone got them listed as invasive and dangerous to salmon fry.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
View attachment 12710
I'm counting this as bass by-catch. Went out yesterday evening throwing anything and everything out there to test out my new home water, but I was mostly hoping for some panfish or little smallmouth. About 7PM there was a flurry of surface activity nearby; tried small poppers for 15 minutes before switching to a flying ant and was immediately getting hits from little 'bows on every cast.
Smolt. Did they have adipose fins, or were they clipped? Are you familiar with why I’m asking, not trying to be smart, just recognizing you just relocated.

cody-

Steelhead
Smolt. Did they have adipose fins, or were they clipped? Are you familiar with why I’m asking, not trying to be smart, just recognizing you just relocated.
I'm aware of why you're asking, and actually appreciate the pop quiz. They were clipped, meaning hatchery fish. The regs said trout on the Columbia are open to C&R year round and these don't qualify as steelhead (sea-run and 20"). Next time I come back it'll be with rainbow-pattern double bunny and hoping for a fat smallie.

Odds thay these are some of the Lyon's Ferry smolts that got misplaced earlier this year? I don't know what other hatcheries are around.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm aware of why you're asking, and actually appreciate the pop quiz. They were clipped, meaning hatchery fish. The regs said trout on the Columbia are open to C&R year round and these don't qualify as steelhead (sea-run and 20"). Next time I come back it'll be with rainbow-pattern double bunny and hoping for a fat smallie.

Odds thay these are some of the Lyon's Ferry smolts that got misplaced earlier this year? I don't know what other hatcheries are around.

I have no idea where you were fishing but my assumption on the Columbia would be they could be from anywhere upstream of you.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have no idea where you were fishing but my assumption on the Columbia would be they could be from anywhere upstream of you.
The smolts that come out of the D around mid May have much darker backs. Does that mean anything probably not 🤷‍♂️

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Leigh - can you share the recipe for this fly? txs!
Sorry, Pat - been out fishing!

Um...I tie like I cook - no recipes. Took a look at it and here's what it is, tho:

TMC8089 bass bug sz6
6mm black foam
Black/red rabbit strip
Black/red 1" Enrico P. Tarantula brush

Tied like a morrish mouse (any number of vids online), but with the brush palmered on as the body instead of deer hair, and not trimmed on the belly.
Trimmed the fur on the tail shorter at the base and left tufted at the end.
The orange markings are just Gulff resin for visibility in low light. Pretty simple!
20210322_165907.jpg
I really like the long tarantula brushes, especially for jig fly bodies. All the rubber leg material wiggles nicely. Fish seem to think so, also, judging by my best producing flies :)

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Sorry, Pat - been out fishing!

Um...I tie like I cook - no recipes. Took a look at it and here's what it is, tho:

TMC8089 bass bug sz6
6mm black foam
Black/red rabbit strip
Black/red 1" Enrico P. Tarantula brush

Tied like a morrish mouse (any number of vids online), but with the brush palmered on as the body instead of deer hair, and not trimmed on the belly.
Trimmed the fur on the tail shorter at the base and left tufted at the end.
The orange markings are just Gulff resin for visibility in low light. Pretty simple!
View attachment 12883
I really like the long tarantula brushes, especially for jig fly bodies. All the rubber leg material wiggles nicely. Fish seem to think so, also, judging by my best producing flies :)
Thanks, Leigh!! Hope you had some good fishing. I know someone over here had a big bass day (not me). Big bass. Pretty sure he'll share a picture or two.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Caught by my son dragging a twin tail grub in the channel behind Reed Is. in Washugal.

It can’t be…….Is that the mythical Chrome Face?