How about some bass by-catch...

Replicant

Steelhead
Back in the mid nineties I was fishing the sunken forest area of Lake Sammamish and caught a nice Coho on a white spinnerbait.
Thing hit like a freight train and bent the shit out of the wire.
There were some HUGE carp in there too.

Replicant

Steelhead
G0050106.JPG

I never get the big ones. Often, I find that I think I've lost a fish after getting a big hit, but as others have said, they just don't fight worth beans.

R

RyRy82

I caught a pike minnow swinging on the metolius last august. Had no idea they were in there. Hit hard mid swing. It was 20 inches or more. After I let it go I wondered if I should have killed it.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I caught a pike minnow swinging on the metolius last august. Had no idea they were in there. Hit hard mid swing. It was 20 inches or more. After I let it go I wondered if I should have killed it.
Pike minnow are native, I see no reason to kill them. We are the reason for low salmon/steelhead numbers, not pike minnow.

Anyfish

Just one more cast...
I'll have to find a photo, but my favorite by-catch has to be a few turtles I caught on the Eastside. It was the last thing i expected to catch and they were colorful. The best part was trying to not get bit when putting them back in the water.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
No photos but numerous Carp, quite a few Catfish & 1 Pond Turtle (Kids' Mom & the Kids were dunking Nightcrawlers.). A friend "caught" a mint condition stainless prop & shaft while ice fishing for Perch in a Basin lake. We were out front from a rocky launch & assumed someone clipped the prop on one of the numerous rocky outcrops while in reverse, sheared the pin and puked-out the assembly when the boat was put in forward motion. A couple folks came out on the ice later, saw the prop assembly and asked: "Where did you find that?" Rudy didn't even look up as he replied: "They're hitting cotter pins . . . " Another friend hooked a large, bagel-shaped rock while bottom-bouncing for spring Walleye. His rod bucked, jerked and looked for all the world like he had a nice fish on. As it approached the surface, I readied the net. When we saw what it was, Don yelled: "Don't just stand there, net it!" He mounted it on a nice plaque his den . . . on another occasion, a wade fisherman fell and dropped his rod. I tubed over to make sure he was okay & eventually hooked & retrieved his rod.

longputt

Steelhead
I've never got one out of Banks, but I've caught a bunch in Rufus.
I used to catch a little of everything bass fishing in Banks, crappie, perch, catfish, trout, walleye, bluegill, sunfish, occasional carp,...now it just seems like SMB, LMB and walleye, seems like a tough lake to be prey. Although, I really only fish it a few days per year so my sample is small.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Tench are a primitive looking fish that bears some resemblance to the ancient Coelacanth. Coelacanths were presumed to be extinct for about 66 million years when one was netted in 1938, the year I was born. Two old fossils!

Coelacanths existence begs the question-how many more undiscovered fossils are still swimming the oceans of the world? With over 70% of the globe under water I'm betting there is more.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
By-catch? Once hooked a very irritated muskrat by the tail.

Fortunately this occurred long before the days of digital cameras/smart phones....doubt I'd have survived the trophy shot without serious injury.

Last edited:

longputt

Steelhead
this one?

IFqJh4F.jpg

sadly, that was by-catch fishing for troutskis...
We always call this: " A sucker on both ends of the line"