Hookin' Up with Big Boobies

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Get your mind out of the gutter!

I'm referring to problems I've had missing far too many strikes and experiencing too many LDR's when fishing boobies deep.

They're very effective flies but I think there's sort of an intrinsic disadvantage with a bouyant fly rising off a fast sinking line on the bottom...much like a very distinct hinge where the leader connects to the line, even during retrieves. Maybe a ridiculously short leader might mitigate the issue?

Of course it could be my sloth-like reflexes.

Paul_

Life of the Party
If I’m missing fish fishing b@@b!@$ I like to do several short quick strips, followed by a slower longer strip. I have found the fish seem to stay attached better on the longer/slower strip (after the quick/short strips).

Flymph

Steelhead
Do you suppose the fish are keying on the rise toward the surface that mimics so many emerging bugs? That said, when the fish make closer inspection and note a clown instead of a more realistic looking imitation they do not take aggressively? Maybe a chironomid tied with boobie materials - - -just a thought.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
How long is your leader when fishing boobies? When I first read about fishing these flies, the author suggested a leader of 18"-24". It seems to me that if I change up boobies a few times with a leader that short then I need to add tippet too often so now I fish a bit longer leader (my leader isn't tapered, just a length of 2X). Ask @RichS - he seems to know how to catch fish on boobies.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
One other thought, I notice that my boobies and blobs seem to have a lot of the hook gap full of the fritz material (and wondering if that is keeping from getting a good hook up), even though I tend to use size 8 scud hooks. Having said that, the only real booby fishing I have done is for the columbia river impoundment frankenmonsters and I haven't had any issues there.