Help!! I'm hinge- ing

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
So, on this trip to work on our Penna. property, I brought along an 8 ft 6 in 5 wt with a WF floater for line.
I'm using a commercial one part tapered trout leader and 2 ft of 5lb tippet.

This is not an expensive set up. It's budget, but I can make it work.

But, my casting is killing me. Specifically, when I try to lay out the cast, I'm getting a massive hinge effect at the leader / tippet junction and my offerings are just plopping into the water. So, I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Any suggestions to cure this ?

Solution
Just buy a different commercial leader, one X size higher than the tippet you plan to tie on.

If you’re going to buy materials and start tying your own, below is what I use. Vary the segment lengths to taste.

- 20lb Chameleon
- 15lb Chameleon
- 12lb Chameleon
- 10lb Ultragreen
- 0x Powerflex
- 2x Powerflex
- Tippet ring
- 3-5x Powerflex

The stiffness of Chameleon allows you to make a light leader that transfers power well. Ultragreen is softer than Chameleon and provides a good transition. Everything below 10lb should be Powerflex or similar; all Maxima lines are weak, relative to diameter, and lot of 3x (0.008in) fly shop nylon will be stronger than 8lb (0.010in) Maxima. Terminating with 2x, at the tippet ring, is important; it...

fatbillybob

Steelhead
That's in the works. My backyard isn't conducive to practice, but the large grassy area at the neighborhood playground is.

Also, I checked the SA website. Like I mentioned, I didn't think the WF5F that came with the combo had its weight far enough forward for the conditions I was fishing. (big water/open water taper vs creek /small water taper) And I found that they make a creek version of one of their lines that covers the what and where I had on Penns Creek. So, I'm heading this weekend to their local distributor to pick one up and give it a try. Hopefully it will bring that rod to life.

This is the line:

From SA:<<<<The Amplitude Smooth Creek Trout Taper is designed for casting in small creeks where your average weight forward lines doesn’t make the cut. The rear loaded short-bellied fly line with an extended handling section. That means more mass is distributed to the front of the line, which assists in turning over weighted flies and performing roll casts.>>>

This is what I've been saying about lines and payload. Small creek not as much line is out so you can feel underlined. This creek taper is making up for that.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Ok, regarding tippet rings: several here have mentioned them and I kind of blew them off.

Just did a search about them, and having second thoughts.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Ok, regarding tippet rings: several here have mentioned them and I kind of blew them off.

Just did a search about them, and having second thoughts.

I run them at the end of most all my leader butts, lake or stream. For a stream I like 2mm. I have 2.5mm for large tippet diameters and flies. Here's one about 6" from the dry, and lots of fish ate it. Tapered leader butt, 12" sighter, ring, then tippet. Bonus, iF I hang up or put it in a tree it always breaks below the ring.

Attachments

• 20230829_flies.jpg
    20230829_flies.jpg
    909.7 KB · Views: 4